How far behind is Chargers WR Mike Williams ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

About 50% of the population 50 and under would show some mild disc herniation on an X-ray or MRI. Higher for people over 50. It's actually not uncommon and quite a few folks show no symptoms at all. His biggest issue would probably be muscle spasm. Give him a shot of Toradol in the ass and he could probably play later today. Surgery for a mild disc herniation would not be a conservative treatment. I'm sure medical staff would have seen it but without complaint of pain just ignored it, which would be standard.

Comment

• SDFan
      SDFan commented
      Editing a comment
      my long time Sports Medicine Dr. told me ~70% of the adult population would show some type of back damage or deformity if X-rayed or given CT or MRI- but most never know it and have perfectly normal lives. It only shows up when you have continuous abnormal pain (more than normal daily muscle stiffness, etc) that stops you from maintaining your daily routines and you finally seek help.

• chargerkdb
      chargerkdb commented
      Editing a comment
      I was being conservative. The point being it isn't an issue until it's an issue. Mild disc herniation is pretty unremarkable on an X-ray.
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Couldnt care less about McCaffrey. Of course i could be wrong but i just dont see him coming CLOSE to what he did in college. Poor mans Sproles is what i see and as a top ten first round pick, you need to be more. As i said before, let somebody else overpay him.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 23, 2017, 6:06 AM EDT
      AP

Chargers first-round receiver Mike Williamsis denying a reportAlshon Jeffery
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• BoltBacker
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Las Vegas, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 23, 2017, 6:06 AM EDT
        AP

Chargers first-round receiver Mike Williamsis denying a reportAlshon Jeffery
        Translation:

"After they gave me a second shot I feel better and am praying it stays this way."
        Last edited by BoltBacker; 07-23-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Athletes always think their recovery time is going to be quick.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

@darealmike_dub
            checking in from the
            Alshon Jeffery Football Camp...

ebullient-confident,
            definitely had his swerve on...
            Hmmmmm.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Naaaaah, he's toast.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Ha! Fake News!

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

Category 5 storm bearing down on teacup! Heat/ice stretching and staying hydrated and he should be fine. Biggest concern with low back disc and muscle spasm is that hamstrings tend to tighten. He is young, athletic and surrounded by trainers and medical staff. Absolutely no reason this can't be managed
                  Last edited by chargerkdb; 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Couldnt care less about McCaffrey. Of course i could be wrong but i just dont see him coming CLOSE to what he did in college. Poor mans Sproles is what i see and as a top ten first round pick, you need to be more. As i said before, let somebody else overpay him.
                    I think McCaffery will be a fine NFL RB, but he is not for everyone. You can't put him intoa run first offense with 2 TE and/or a TE and FB and just pound away at the other team, with McCaffery getting 20-25 carries per game. From what I understand, that is not what Carolina has in mind.

Carolina's offense likes to split carries among their RB. No RB is going to get a ton of carries, which is partially why Johnathan Stewart is moving to FB for them. They will likely use McCaffery in sort of a hybrid, 3rd down role in spread sets, which they play on a lot of early downs too. That is some of the rumors coming out of Carolina. McCaffery is going to spend some time in the slot, as well as a receiver out of the backfield. He will get some conventional carries, but the idea is to move him around and get mismatches. That almost guarantees that he will be more of a slot-back or smallish H-back than a true RB, 7 yards deep in the I or ace backfield. This is similar to the failed changes that they made to the offense last season with Tolbert, only as more of a finesse back who is probably going to be asked to do less blocking. Carolina left a lot of plays on the field that Tolbert was getting the ball in space and then couldn't take advantage of them and still make plays.

We would have used him is a bit different. We kept Whisenhunt to keep the O the same. They aren't going to gut it to change everything to accommodate a rookie RB, when we have some guy who have the same sort of special qualities. I would have been willing to trade down, and draft McCaffery and . use him as a 3rd down guy and slot WR. But those are new roles for him, and it would have taken time for him to grow into those roles. Plus, with Gordon and our RB crew, and our running game, I don't see McCaffery being a big part of our early down offense.

McCaffery might be a great player for the Panthers, but he was not nearly as good a prospect for us. There is virtually no way he would have the same type of production for us he will for them. You can't compare rookies from one team to another because the offense/defense or ST for those teams are completely different. OVer the course of a career you might.

The other issue is judging players after their rookie year is just stupid. Anyone who demands their draft picks have to have an immediate impact is asking to be disappointed. When it happens, great, rejoice. But it is about getting the best players for the long haul.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Time will tell. I have BIG doubts he translates well. He has the ideal offense with Cam in a read option though. I don't see him as a 3 down RB at the next level, and i see him as a much better receiver than runner in the NFL. More like reggie bush. Ok career, but not worth a top 10 pick. I actually see him and Samuel being redundant, but both very dangerous in space.
                      I expect him to do big things. To each there own. If hes not in the backfield on 3rd down he will be in the slot. Hes like an offensive Kuechly imo. Extremely cerebral. Highly motivated and 2nd to none work ethic. Im not surprised they took a guy with similar character traits to their big star. I think he will be the fact of that franchise before long. I dont expect him to be just a situations player.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Rookie of the year = McCaffery

First player to have a rushing, receiving, punt return and kickoff return for a TD ... maybe even in the same game, maybe even his first game ... fantasy MVP ...

He will lead the league in kick return yards and total yards.

Even if he was only a KR and 3rd down RB for us, the TD's he gets from that would have been more than Mike Williams impact will be. Just sayin' ...

Comment

Working...
                        X