• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

I see it differently. The preseason means zero. Most people don't care if a team wins their preseason games. Play the players to see what they have to offer in those games and to build chemistry. The team will take command of the LA market if/when they win in the regular season, not August games.

Comment

• BoltBacker
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • Send PM

I don't think we have to sacrifice development. In fact the opposite, we need to be healthy to win and playing vets a ton of preseason minutes would counter that. Winning only matters in games that count. With the tiny stadium the seats will be sold regardless so get the team ready for regular season.

The things I will be looking for in pre-season
      - cutting down on mistakes/penalties
      - one huge thing that needs improvement is getting the offense up to the line faster and not running out the play clock. We became predictable with last second snaps.
      - creativity in the running game, improved last year but with Lynn expect more in this area
      - consistency on D
      - cut down big plays allowed, third and long emphasis
      - O-line development "everyone looking at this"
      - bigger role for Hunter Henry

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I dont expect us to sacrifice a lot in pre season. It should be same as usual. Rivers barely plays until the 3rd game. I could see them trying a little harder to pummel the Rams. But winning the game isnt everything. Starters dominating starters in pre season is almost as good. I see what you are saying but i think winning regular season games is the goal. And getting guys reps and seeing what our guys can do will be the most important part of pre-season. You never want to show the full deck of cards in the preseason. Vanilla all the way.

Winning out the preseason means nothing if you end up losing a player. Its football. The other team wants to hurt our guys and vice versa. Its a collision game. Get the starters in and out quickly and let the depth go to war.

Comment

• Big Dog
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

19. Los Angeles Chargers

14 OF 32

Jae C. Hong/Associated Press
          2016 Final Ranking: 26

It stinks that the Chargers have lost Forrest Lamp for the year and are dealing with Mike Williams' injury. Those two rookies had the potential to make immediate impacts.

Of course, I'm not sure the Chargers should have drafted Williams anyway. Going by what I heard from NFL people, the Chargers were interested in drafting Deshaun Watson but chickened out at the last minute.

Overall, though, the Chargers could be in store for a respectable season. They lost a lot of close games late last year. The addition of Guy Bradley as defensive coordinator can help the team avoid that.

The Chargers have a legit secondary and pass rush. Even with Williams injured, they have a tremendous receiver corps too.

Guys like Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Dontrelle Inman and Antonio Gates makes this an explosive offense. As long as Philip Rivers is healthy and playing at a high level, the Chargers are going to have the chance to win in almost every contest.

-Chris Sims, Bleacher Report.
          Last edited by Bolt-O; 08-08-2017, 11:24 AM. Reason: Byline...

Comment

• Rugger05
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
            19. Los Angeles Chargers

14 OF 32

Jae C. Hong/Associated Press
            2016 Final Ranking: 26

It stinks that the Chargers have lost Forrest Lamp for the year and are dealing with Mike Williams' injury. Those two rookies had the potential to make immediate impacts.

Of course, I'm not sure the Chargers should have drafted Williams anyway. Going by what I heard from NFL people, the Chargers were interested in drafting Deshaun Watson but chickened out at the last minute.

Overall, though, the Chargers could be in store for a respectable season. They lost a lot of close games late last year. The addition of Guy Bradley as defensive coordinator can help the team avoid that.

The Chargers have a legit secondary and pass rush. Even with Williams injured, they have a tremendous receiver corps too.

Guys like Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Dontrelle Inman and Antonio Gates makes this an explosive offense. As long as Philip Rivers is healthy and playing at a high level, the Chargers are going to have the chance to win in almost every contest.

-Chris Sims, Bleacher Report.
            The fact this "author" of this article doesn't mention Tyrell Williams or Hunter Henry doesn't bode well for his researching skills

Comment

• Highboltage
              Highboltage commented
              Editing a comment
              Who is Guy Bradley?
          • Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Chris Sims is the son of former Giant great Phil Sims. He is a former NFL QB. Not a good QB, but he did play.

Sometimes I think former NFL players are the worst at judging how teams will perform over the season. They tend to focus on names as much as any fan, and not enough on the other guys.

His point is still valid, even if he did exclude some of the best players. If you just stick to the players he lists, we would still be a decent offense.

As far as drafting Watson goes, who knows. In hindsight, I like the addition of Jones, and I never felt like Williams was going to be a day 1 contributor on offense anyway, and I still think he may have a solid end of the year, so I think we come out ahead the way things worked out.

But the big thing will be the OL. Protect Rivers and get Melvin Gordon a chance to get started, and I think the offense can be really good. If the OL is not a lot better, then I think we see a repeat of the last couple of years. Good O, but without the consistency of being able to give the playmakers a chance.

Comment

• ETicket
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Highboltage View Post
              Who is Guy Bradley?
              Nothing special. He's just a guy.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀