• Send PM

Chargers unofficial depth chart from chargers.com

First Look at 2017 Chargers Depth Chart

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:05 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne

Managing Editor
    Chargers.com

@ChargersRHenne
    As the Los Angeles Chargers get set to kick off the preseason Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, the team released the first unofficial depth chart of 2017.

Read
    • With Jason Verrett practicing but not listed on the depth chart, second-year cornerback Trevor Williamsgets the nod at starting CB.
    • The battle to backup Melvin Gordon has been a good one throughout camp, and according to the depth chart Branden Oliver will get first crack at it as he is listed second behind number 28. Andre Williams is third while Kenjon Barner is fourth.
    • A pair of undrafted free agent linebackers are listed in the second group in James Onwualu and Nigel Harris.
    • Dwight Lowery and Tre Boston have split reps at starting free safety throughout camp, but the incumbent is listed with the starters.
    • Dan Feeney is listed twice with the second team at guard and center.
    • Russell Okung is the only new addition added this offseason currently listed with the first team.
    Last edited by Big Dog; 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM.
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Starts off with the obligatory "this means nothing" ... but more than a few surprises ... Micheal Davis and Mitchell Paige got to be pretty stoked right about now, as do James Onwualu and Nigel Harris ... and Dexter is not just on the bubble as I said in another thread but hanging on by a thread, maybe even the next guy cut, if Chargers see anything they like ...
    Last edited by Big Dog; 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

ow many DL? Nine? I think Carrethers gets cut. I think all the first and second stringers stick and either Reid or Rochell make it.
      I know it dont mean much right now but to see Perry at 3rd string isn't good for him. I figured he would be in the MLB mix.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Love it, some good guys getting cut which means we have decent depth.

Mitchell "Nobody" Paige is the big surprise to me but he's been winning a job in camp. Still, I see him on he PS.

To me, there looks like 13 guys who could make this team on the D line, but only 8 or 9 will.

We keeping 6 safeties?

I don't know how this works. 6 safeties, 5 cbs, 9 DL, 2 ILB, 5 OLB = 27 guys. Not happening.

I think other teams pick up our cuts this year.
        Last edited by Formula 21; 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Tuerk sighting... #2 LG.

Yeah, McCoil looks like he's going to be the odd man out, he's a good player, but we should have expected the two drafted rookies to be better options. But still way to early to say who will make this team.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Id say five safeties. Phillips and or Lowery could go. Or if Lowrey stays, McCoil gets cut. Phillips wasnt very impressive last season at all so unless he Improves I'm thinking he is gone.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
            181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
            225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Interesting just to see where they have some guys lined up, mainly on the defensive side. King listed as 3rd FS but not in the mix at CB was a bit of a surprise. Feeney still listed at C and RG. Toomer in the middle. I think there's going to be some people upset by who we let go on the DL, regardless of who it is.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Id say five safeties. Phillips and or Lowery could go. Or if Lowrey stays, McCoil gets cut. Phillips wasnt very impressive last season at all so unless he Improves I'm thinking he is gone.
                I think it ends up at 5. Addae, Lowery, Boston, King, and Jenkins.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Boltjolt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, id say thats probably the best guess there. 10 DBs is usually the number and King can do both. Jenkins and King i assume will play STs too. It finally caught up to Stuckey that he didnt get on the field very often as a safety. I dont think that will save McCoil either.

• SDFan
                  SDFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  2 Vets (Addae injury prone) backed up by 3 inexperienced guys? Might not be the way coaches like it.

• Boltjolt
                  Boltjolt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If they are better than Phillips then why not? Phillips wasnt very good last year and he made the team as a backup. Would you rather they keep him because he has more experience but isnt as good? I saw enough of him last season and they drafted two other guys this year so i assume that the coaches and front office wanted to upgrade the depth with possible future starters.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-11-2017, 08:01 AM.
              • pigskin
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Southern Oregon
                • Send PM

The best way to see who is NOT getting cut is to look at the special team units (1st rep) in the first preseason game. Now this is not 100% but if you see a guy like McCoil out there, his chances of making the team are good.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  Interesting just to see where they have some guys lined up, mainly on the defensive side. King listed as 3rd FS but not in the mix at CB was a bit of a surprise. Feeney still listed at C and RG. Toomer in the middle. I think there's going to be some people upset by who we let go on the DL, regardless of who it is.
                  A guy like King isn't going to do well on a depth chart right now. He hasn't played much S in his college career, and the NFL is tough on rookies learning new positions. At this point, they probably haven't done much work in the nickel, which is where guy like King would be a best fit. He just hasn't been given much of a chance to shine yet.

I don't see how we could cut him though. He is a draft pick, and no matter what teams say, very, very few teams cut many, if any of their draft picks in their rookie seasons. If they do, it would be 6th and 7th round guys. He may not be given any snaps at CB, but if he is on the roster, he does add depth there.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I'm already slotting our 6th and 7th for the ps. So the coaches better start hiding them now especially Rochell.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

A guy like King isn't going to do well on a depth chart right now. He hasn't played much S in his college career, and the NFL is tough on rookies learning new positions. At this point, they probably haven't done much work in the nickel, which is where guy like King would be a best fit. He just hasn't been given much of a chance to shine yet.

I don't see how we could cut him though. He is a draft pick, and no matter what teams say, very, very few teams cut many, if any of their draft picks in their rookie seasons. If they do, it would be 6th and 7th round guys. He may not be given any snaps at CB, but if he is on the roster, he does add depth there.
                      Not surprised at where he's listed on the depth chart just more surprised that they listed him at FS. Not really worried about where any of the rookies sit on the depth chart. Tevi has the longest shot of making the roster but I think most of us have thought that since after the draft. Rochelle may be playing himself into the roster.

Comment

Working...
                      X