• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    I say we offer the niners MW for Foster. Or Philly for Barnett.
    Doubt they want a WR with a bulging disk that may not play this year for their first round guy lol.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

And working with the no names doesn't help. Clemens cast isn't much better but they are an improvement.
      Yes but a couple of his throws we're way off target. Nobody really stood out this game after that first offensive drive.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Attack
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2017
        • Send PM

This team has to have the worst group of backup QBs, or close to it. There has to be a better backup QB out there that will be cut by another team that can be brought in. Clemens is terrible, and Jones isn't close to being ready. The backups didn't show much, and were forgettable today, with the exception of King. Hopefully, Perryman doesn't join Lamp on the couch.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Our backups just did not play well. The Clemens turnovers are an issue, but at least he didn't make bad reads or anything. The horrible part was the flash fake to Williams that caused the fumble. Maybe it was Williams not taking a handoff, but it sure didn't look like it on TV.

The problem I had was just the general sloppiness. Run blocking was inconsistent. Pass blocking was sloppy, and guys were lunging. Run fits on D were incredibly inconsistent. Pass rush was too. A lot of missed tackles preventing plays for a loss, or in a position to end drives, but didn't.

The one overall positive was that the secondary (other than the missed tackles), seemed to have good position in coverage and a lot of good breaks on the passes. Boykin and Wilson completed a couple of long passes just because the passes were perfect. The coverage does need to improve, but that will happen. At this point of the preseason, it was as good as can be expected.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes but a couple of his throws we're way off target. Nobody really stood out this game after that first offensive drive.
            Oh I'm not trying to say he looked great but he did manage to not turn the ball over 3 times in an offense he's only been in for a few weeks. I'll take his performance over Clemens' every time.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              Clemens has had 4 freakin years in the system and still can not move the ball. I don't get the who he is working with line.....those are the guys he works with all week and all season in practice. For the most part he was out here with guys he has had reps with before. The second team, not the scrubs and TC fodder. He sucks...bad.
          • Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Our backups just did not play well. The Clemens turnovers are an issue, but at least he didn't make bad reads or anything. The horrible part was the flash fake to Williams that caused the fumble. Maybe it was Williams not taking a handoff, but it sure didn't look like it on TV.

The problem I had was just the general sloppiness. Run blocking was inconsistent. Pass blocking was sloppy, and guys were lunging. Run fits on D were incredibly inconsistent. Pass rush was too. A lot of missed tackles preventing plays for a loss, or in a position to end drives, but didn't.

The one overall positive was that the secondary (other than the missed tackles), seemed to have good position in coverage and a lot of good breaks on the passes. Boykin and Wilson completed a couple of long passes just because the passes were perfect. The coverage does need to improve, but that will happen. At this point of the preseason, it was as good as can be expected.
            His first INT definitely was a bad read.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

His first INT definitely was a bad read.
              How so? BO was single covered. The issue was that the ball got deflected up into the air. It wasn't a bad read. It wasn't a great throw, but it he hit the receiver in the hands.

There was a second LB in the area, who started to break on the ball, but that means any time you throw vs a zone defense and don't throw into the middle of the zone it is a bad read.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

How so? BO was single covered. The issue was that the ball got deflected up into the air. It wasn't a bad read. It wasn't a great throw, but it he hit the receiver in the hands.

There was a second LB in the area, who started to break on the ball, but that means any time you throw vs a zone defense and don't throw into the middle of the zone it is a bad read.
                The ball got deflected into the air because the coverage was tight, on top of the second defender being right on top of him. I didn't see who it was but there was also a WR coming out of their break on Clemens' right that had half a step on their defender and no over the top help. I understand throwing into a zone, but that doesn't make throwing into tight coverage more palatable when you have someone that is more open and you can put the ball into a spot that the defender doesn't have a real play on it.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Panamamike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, i agree it was not the best read. The WR was a better option. i would say it was a sub-optimal read more so than bad.
              • Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

And working with the no names doesn't help. Clemens cast isn't much better but they are an improvement.
                3rd offense to learn in 1 yr. He has been in town for 2 weeks, without the early off sesson to learn the offense. Even if he were a 5yr vet, i would not have expected much preasosn game 1 on 2 weeks prep time.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

You really can't tell who is open in the TV coverage and the all 22 footage isn't up (I don't know if they even put that up for preseason games).

Clemens held the ball a bit, and that was what ran him into the LB, which is where the deflection came off. But that was clearly his last read, so in the absence of that, Clemens has to run outside the tackle box to throw it away, or start going back through his progression, and it was too late for that.

To me, the thing that stands out for Clemen's, is that he gets rid of the ball quickly. He doesn't take a lot of negative plays. Watching so many preseason QB playing this last weekend, most are going to get killed by 1st string NFL pass rushers if they get into a game. Clemen's game, if he gets enough practice time to get his timing down, he can survive against a 1st string pass rush because he doesn't hold the ball. Unless the WR makes a great play (like in the Benjamin play) it limits his big play potential. His fumble on the Williams play was just sort of sloppy, not getting the flash fake back out of Williams way.

The thing that I want to see from Jones is how he plays the next few weeks. He holds the ball a lot longer, but he seems to have a sense of when to get rid of it. He got rushed by Seattle pretty quick on some blitzes, and he was still able to get rid of the ball. But if you give him time, he takes what the defense give him and keeps working on throwing the ball, especially downfield. He throws a much more catchable ball. He adjust how hard to throw, and he adjust the trajectory, so when he needs to he fires lasers, but he also throws some nice rainbows. I want to see if he keeps it up the next few weeks. If he can, then I think the upside wins, for me, if not the coaching staff.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Panamamike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No negative plays? Sorry, look at his career turnover rate, INTs and fumbles. 4 years in our system, playing with the 2s that he has practiced with all last year and this pre-season, and he can not move the offence. Take out hitting a wide open Benjamin, a throw any HS QB should complete and what did he do? 2/9 for 25 yds and 3 TOs. Babe Laufenbergesque. He is a mid 30s backup with 0 upside and no proven record of past success; as either a starter or fill-in. You can't shine shit no matter how hard ya buff it
                    Last edited by Panamamike; 08-17-2017, 05:42 AM.
                • RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

To me its a theory that we are screwed without Rivers anyway so id rather develop what may be a solid backup in Jones. The kid was 3rd on Buffalos depth chart and didnt have a great supporting cast behind him as a rookie. Let Rivers get into his head and involve him in how a top QB works and thinks. Learning the offense will take time. I dont necessarily expect him to be an elite QB but I think he at least has the size and tools to be a solid 2 given this year to coach him up.

im just kind of done with Clemmons....he wont buy us much if we really need him and has little upside. I realize he know the offense which does have value. If they keep 3 qbs then fine keep him, otherwise Id say give the younger kids the shot.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Is it over yet?
                    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                    X