• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Why we don't suck as bad as it looked

1st team offense with Rivers at QB looked good moving the ball down the field and scored that touchdown . And Travis Benjamin looks back up to full speed and as good as advertised during training camp. When Rivers was in the first team offense of line give them plenty of time to throw the ball.

Before everyone freaks out about the lack of depth, especially at QB. How many snaps did Philip Rivers miss in the last 10 years?

1st team defense didn't look as good as the offense but still not bad for the very first game playing the 4-3. Bosa and Ingram and look like a nice rush end and pair.

When the first team offense and the first team defense were out there the score was 7 to 0.

Desmond King when showed that he is a play maker, The interception and also punch in the ball out for the forced fumble.

Burse looked like good depth at WR.

Meisner at TE was a good, if late signing.

Feeney is is going to play OG not C so don't freak out about all those high snaps in shotgun.

Cardale Jones look like a rookie QB with one week of practice which is exactly what he is, but nice touch on that long ball at the end of the first half and nice footwork on those runs to gain first downs. the added dimension of a running QB doesn't hurt.

Our fourth string quarterback looked better than our second string quarterback and earned himself some additional snaps during the preseason I think / hope.

Although Davis got beat like a drum on those sideline deep balls, he consistently had position and will only get better with practice. Provided he react positively to getting picked on like that .

The second and third stringers on defense were very inconsistent but there were a few good plays mixed in there.

Squire looks much improved over last year .

McCain has some real good speed on the rush and I think he's a keeper.

McCoil had a special teams stop and a goal line stop, well he is still on the bubble he did some things tonight that might make him self valuable on special teams kind a like Stuckey did in previous years.

And there were several other second and third stringers who made a play here and there that stood out as well.

Yes I was watching the same game as you were and yes I saw all those missed tackles, turnovers and poor positioning. And yes this was the most lopsided score in about two years worth of preseason games.

But I think Anthony Lynn is going to kick some ass and I think Gus Bradley is going to have that defense playing a lot better by next week.

There were some good things out there tonight, for starters on both offense and defense looked good, and some of the back up players showed some potential and all of that is encouraging.

OK I'll pass the bong now ....

• blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Thank you for getting the ball to BO in space.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

There certainly were some positive things that happened out there. The problem is this looks a lot like the older Charger teams under McCoy, Norv ... They aren't horrible. But they aren't a good team because of how sloppy they are. THe question will be how quickly can Lynn get this stuff fixed if he can get it fixed.

Even more than a dramatic improvement next week, I really hope we show steady improvement for the next 3 weeks. I think what Seattle showed tonight/last year/the year before.... good teams have a consistency of effort and an attention to detail that can overcome a lot of talent deficiencies. And teams like ours, who have decent talent, continue to underachieve when they don't focus on those details (play after play).

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I'm pissed that we get beat like a drum every year by Seattle. Sea comes prepared, we just show up.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Boltjolt commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't we beat them in the regular season last time we played them?
      • Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Carrethers. 5 tackles to lead the DL. Maybe he's not done yet. Looks like he came to play.

otherwise, you can cut about 30 guys right now.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• SCRATCHBOLTNZ
          SCRATCHBOLTNZ commented
          Editing a comment
          I watched the game tonight and I can't believe Carrethers got 5 tackles! He looked completely ineffective out there. I was watching him closley second half as I had high hopes for him when we signed him. For a wide-body guy he hardly gets any push! He looked tired and lethargic. If we hadn't moved to more of a 4-3 style defence I would have thought we needed more depth at NT, maybe not such a big deal now.
      • Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

According to Pro Football Focus, Bosa had two QB pressures on his five pass rush snaps while Ingram had pair as well on six.

ok there's a positive.

And The first team D did play well.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Desmond King also missed a few tackles. The punch out of the ball is a heads up play but it wasn't a turnover for us. I'll just say I hope to see improvement because the tackling was pretty sorry.

Davis was pretty awful out there and it was only one drive but the first team defense didn't look that great either though they held them to a FG. Can't say they suck because of that because it was the first drive in a new defense although we are giving the offense props for doing the same thing.

It was the first game. Means nothing really asside that we know Clemens still sucks and neither backup QB stepped up.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-13-2017, 10:29 PM.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Chargerville
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
            1st team offense with Rivers at QB looked good moving the ball down the field and scored that touchdown . And Travis Benjamin looks back up to full speed and as good as advertised during training camp. When Rivers was in the first team offense of line give them plenty of time to throw the ball.

Before everyone freaks out about the lack of depth, especially at QB. How many snaps did Philip Rivers miss in the last 10 years?

1st team defense didn't look as good as the offense but still not bad for the very first game playing the 4-3. Bosa and Ingram and look like a nice rush end and pair.

When the first team offense and the first team defense were out there the score was 7 to 0.

Desmond King when showed that he is a play maker, The interception and also punch in the ball out for the forced fumble.

Burse looked like good depth at WR.

Meisner at TE was a good, if late signing.

Feeney is is going to play OG not C so don't freak out about all those high snaps in shotgun.

Cardale Jones look like a rookie QB with one week of practice which is exactly what he is, but nice touch on that long ball at the end of the first half and nice footwork on those runs to gain first downs. the added dimension of a running QB doesn't hurt.

Our fourth string quarterback looked better than our second string quarterback and earned himself some additional snaps during the preseason I think / hope.

Although Davis got beat like a drum on those sideline deep balls, he consistently had position and will only get better with practice. Provided he react positively to getting picked on like that .

The second and third stringers on defense were very inconsistent but there were a few good plays mixed in there.

Squire looks much improved over last year .

McCain has some real good speed on the rush and I think he's a keeper.

McCoil had a special teams stop and a goal line stop, well he is still on the bubble he did some things tonight that might make him self valuable on special teams kind a like Stuckey did in previous years.

And there were several other second and third stringers who made a play here and there that stood out as well.

Yes I was watching the same game as you were and yes I saw all those missed tackles, turnovers and poor positioning. And yes this was the most lopsided score in about two years worth of preseason games.

But I think Anthony Lynn is going to kick some ass and I think Gus Bradley is going to have that defense playing a lot better by next week.

There were some good things out there tonight, for starters on both offense and defense looked good, and some of the back up players showed some potential and all of that is encouraging.

OK I'll pass the bong now ....

I don't know if the game (as it relates to the starters) really told me much because I'm pretty used to the Charger offense looking impressive in the first quarter and on opening drives. I'm also used to the defense playing good early. Now if the Chargers had absolutely blown Seattle off the line of scrimmage and ran down their throats all the way for a touchdown, then at least I would have been able to say "that's Anthony Lynn adding his imprint on the team"... but to me, they just looked like the typical Chargers.
            Last edited by Chargerville; 08-13-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

A good mix of run and pass on the opening drive, which took up about 7 minutes, was definitely encouraging. The OL didn't look dominant but I didn't expect it to they're going to take a while to jel, and they're going against on of the better front 7s. Lots of room for improvement on the defensive side but for their first live action in a new D I'm ok with what I saw from the starters. Bosa and Ingram are going to give teams lots of issues. The depth wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped for. King was the only rookie to really make an impact. Things will get cleaned up, that's the reason we have preseason games.

Comment

• SCRATCHBOLTNZ
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2017
                • Send PM

1. First teams looked good out there!
                2. Kellen Clemons was terrible!! Guy takes an age to throw the ball! Hes been around for a long time and hasn't progressed as a player IMO. Cardale and Bercovici have more upside than him.
                3. Offence has depth...Defence doesn't. Except for Desmond King, who is a beast!
                4. Its only one game, but it was a little worrying that Ingram was getting man-handled by the opposition Tackle. I wonder if he is actually better suited to 3-4 where he could be moved around alot (hand on the ground or standing up). In this scheme he is very static and easy to locate
                5. OL did ok for the most part. Feeny was ok and Pulley looked good at centre. I wonder if Slauson will stay at Left Guard.

Comment

• buttkissdick
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2017
                  • Send PM

Y'all really think this L.A thing is gonna work ??
                  The Injury Bug has already started...............the #1 & #2 pix are Questionable

Looks like Perryman has a Bad Ankle too

Comment

• floydefisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • siberiacuse, ny
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    I'm pissed that we get beat like a drum every year by Seattle. Sea comes prepared, we just show up.
                    It's preseason....don't worry, this team will lose plenty of games later. I'm not expecting much with all the offseason distractions moving to a new home can bring.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X