• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
    They looked like... well, they looked an awful lot like the team when Whiz was the OC in McCoy's first season, and they "came on" at the end of the year.
    This theory make sense, but I still can't conclude that yet because I just rewatched some of our games last season. Where was Whiz offense last year? Last year there were no Lynn. Last year they don't have Allen but Gordon was playing like a Pro Bowler and Henry was a big contributor. Whiz didn't have them in his 1st season here.

I kind of believe in what Lynn said in the press that this year they just put so much emphasis on running the ball and don't turn the ball over (last year they turn over the ball a lot), that they are slow in open up the offense. Sort off what NE always doing. Slowly open up the playbook throughout the season. So they always start slow, the only difference between them and us in the 1st quarter of the season is that they won the close games and we loss those games.

We open up the offense now, and defenses are struggling to adjust against us. And now we have opened the offense but also with the ball protection in mind that we've experienced throughout the early part of the season.

The opposite of this was McCoy's 2nd season. We opened up the offense too soon and went 7-1, and when teams have enough film they exposed us, exactly what KC have been going through right now. Also, when you open up the offense too soon, players haven't got their mentality right, yet, they're not careful in protect the ball. Coaches and players haven't learn to be careful in game, they just make calls and play on impulse and easily fall in love with the pass and getting predictable. All of these things result in a lot of turnovers and losses. McCoy was caught during Mic Up telling his players to just play, don't fear, don't think too much, just play fast. The thing is, you can't be confuse or out of control and play fast, play with no fear, no wonder we turns the ball over a lot under him.

Football fans probably have the shortest memory of any sport fans out there. One week they called for Rivers to retire, frustrated by his INTs, fumbles,, frustrated by 5, 6 straight passes, and that we still need to run the ball to establish the run, to control the game, to keep the defense honest, etc. And another week it suddenly become the running game need to take a step back, just let Rivers sling it, just let Whiz call his game. Wasn't Whiz call his game in TEN and last year with us, too? Wasn't Rivers was sling all over the place under McCoy and Norv, and had a lot of really bad seasons doing that?

The point is we still need to sharpen the running game and we can't do that if we don't excute it during games. And the main factor will always be what the defense is doing. Take what they give us. I don't agree on close your eyes and run to a wall every 1st downs like Lynn likes to do early in the season, but I also don't agree with falling in love with the pass and let Rivers sling it 5 straight times when you feeling good, like Whiz tends to do with his QBs.

Right now some look at the BUF and DAL games as an example to just let Rivers sling it. But this is a cold blooded league, when things go right for a team, other teams will notice pretty fast, they will watch films overnight and come up with some clever plan to turn wet dream into nightmare. Belichick have always been brutally excellent at that. The next game we try the same thing with Rivers passing the ball all over the place might not result in the same thing like the BUF and DAL games, it might look like some of the pass happy games of Rivers in the past under McCoy and Norv.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Actually CLE is much better vs the run than the pass. I am ok if we tilt the offence to the pass again. Of course we need to run enough to keep them honest and play some play action, but I am ok if we spread them out and play catch all day long this week. They also suck at covering the TE.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Could've been Vance Joseph
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

I'm afraid we might have wiffed on McVay. The guy looks like a young and less cocky Belichick when he was at CLE.

I think Lynn is a good coach. But McVay just might be the next great one.

It's not just the Rams' turnaround. It's everything about him. What he said to his troops. What he said to the media. The mentality. The philosophy. The X&O. Etc.

Redskins offensive success last few years were attribute to Jay Gruden and Cousins. But it seems McVay had a lot to do with that than perception from outside.

I like that he's such a realist guy to the point of he doesn't even try to be a so called "head coach". He just leave his whole defense to Wade Phillips and he basically ignore it.

Everytime their D on the field is Wade Phillips' time. Sometimes he doesn't even look at the defense. He just go talk to Goff and the offensive players.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Props to Lynn for holding this team together when they we 0-4. And I think he allowed the coordinators to change both the offensive and defensive schemes after that horrendous start.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Definitely like Lynn more now : )

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
                I'm afraid we might have wiffed on McVay. The guy looks like a young and less cocky Belichick when he was at CLE.

I think Lynn is a good coach. But McVay just might be the next great one.

It's not just the Rams' turnaround. It's everything about him. What he said to his troops. What he said to the media. The mentality. The philosophy. The X&O. Etc.

Redskins offensive success last few years were attribute to Jay Gruden and Cousins. But it seems McVay had a lot to do with that than perception from outside.

I like that he's such a realist guy to the point of he doesn't even try to be a so called "head coach". He just leave his whole defense to Wade Phillips and he basically ignore it.

Everytime their D on the field is Wade Phillips' time. Sometimes he doesn't even look at the defense. He just go talk to Goff and the offensive players.
                Dude... if he is a great coach lets take away Wade Phillips from him and see how he performs as a "head coach", by your comments looks he is more of a glorified Offensive Coordinator.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

IMHO (And I've been saying that all the time) the coaches are fine, they have what we need. The shortcomings with this team are somewhere else.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Dude... if he is a great coach lets take away Wade Phillips from him and see how he performs as a "head coach", by your comments looks he is more of a glorified Offensive Coordinator.
                    One of the single most important things a head coach has to do is hire good staff, so the Wade hire was great.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Well... in some organizations the HC doesnt hire the Coordinators. I believe the Chargers were once one of those organizations. Tho I might be wrong.

Comment

• vinabolt
                        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                        • Feb 2015
                        • Send PM

The thing I see with McVay is he's not hesitate to abandon the traditional mentality that a head coach "must" lead the whole team. He's a realist and admit that Wade Phillips knows way more than him about defense. So he let Phillips handle 100% on that side, not pretending to watch over it or ask some questions like some newbie head coach tends to do.

If you think about it, there is really nothing wrong with that approach. Just focus completely on the side that you're good at and leave the other side to the guy who is better than you, more knowledgeable that you, more experience than you at that thing. I bet that Phillips really appreciate that and bust his tail of trying to prove McVay is right.

McVay also sounds really humble. Sounds like a respectable leader without the need to be a jerk or yell at everything. He has the looks of a new head coach of the next generation, fit in really well with this younger generation. Also sort of an innovator, just not like Chip Kelly the Pretender. A lot of coaches and players have said that McVay ran some offensive looks and routes and passing offense that they've never seen before, a lot of new and creative stuffs from him.

I always like Goff and Wentz when they came out. But I expected Goff to struggle this year, because he spent his whole rookie year learning a completely different offense. From college offense to that offense and now continue to learn a new offense. It would've been too tiresome for him and he would be too slow to adjust. But McVay help jumpstart his career. Goff has an Eli Manning type of personality, he's as soft as you can get, but I think he'll have a better career than Manning if this coach-QB tandem stick with each other for the year to come, like Brees-Peyton. Eli didn't have that. I think Goff is a better passer than Eli already.
                        Last edited by vinabolt; 12-06-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

One of the single most important things a head coach has to do is hire good staff, so the Wade hire was great.
                          The Broncos not renewing Wade's contract was a huge mistake for them

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X