Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    Lynn is having a Bobby Ross like start...
    But Bobby Ross was a proven Head Coach, and won a National Championship in the college game.

Lynn is a career long position coach, who got promoted in season to coordinator last year.

Listen, I'm fine with Lynn being the "leader of men" type that was promised, I actually thought that was what the team needed. But, this is making me miss Norv. (I said it)
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

Without Marty's success Norv's entire tenure would have been average at best. Marty built that team and created a winning culture that lasted a few more seasons beyond his sudden departure.

That culture of winning is dead now. It will take a coach with a strong personality to overcome the losing mentality that has been emanating from the top of the organization for decades. Ross & Marty have been the only ones strong enough to pull it off. Not sure yet if Lynn has that ability or if he even knows what he's up against.

No different from Cleveland. A culture of losing.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

He's a players coach with personality. He handles the media better than McCoy. I guess the idea was to make us tougher and improve our running game to create balance. My main judegement is negative so far due to 0-2 and that he thought we abandoned the run too early in Denver when I thought it was clear we stuck with it too long. Also time management and setting up the last second field goals has been mediocre...not a disaster as we set up two make-able kicks but special teams failures are old news.

(Marty never won a playoff game and Norv got us to the AFC Championship....07 and 09 teams were better than any of Marty's squads....AJ built the team, Marty had a system that worked in the regular season but even he needed good players. It is still my opinion that Marty failed to develop Brees, a QB with HOF potential....Norv developed Rivers in to a top flight QB and was able to win in the playoffs)
        Last edited by BlazingBolt; 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Lightnin'
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I want (key word...want) to believe I'm seeing a better product than in 2016. Perhaps they'd tuned MM out and for now, are listening to Lynn & Co.

We've lost 2 games by a total of 5 points with another tough Division foe in KC coming up Sunday. If we can't start winning some we expect to lose,
          Anthony Lynn will be another 2-4 season project that simply didn't work out.

Here's hoping that isn't the case.
          San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• Joy Division
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

When they beat KC this week...ya'll need to revisit this thread.
            (I'll be here and I'm taking names)

Comment

The team seems undisaplined to me. Started with Keenan last week.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Joy Division View Post
                When they beat KC this week...ya'll need to revisit this thread.
                (I'll be here and I'm taking names)
                That would be a McCoy thing to do. Beat a team you're supposed to lose to.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post
                  I want (key word...want) to believe I'm seeing a better product than in 2016. Perhaps they'd tuned MM out and for now, are listening to Lynn & Co.

We've lost 2 games by a total of 5 points with another tough Division foe in KC coming up Sunday. If we can't start winning some we expect to lose,
                  Anthony Lynn will be another 2-4 season project that simply didn't work out.

Here's hoping that isn't the case.
                  How is losing 2 close games any different than what we saw under McCoy? Somebody needs to step up with the game on the line and nobody is doing it. Just like the past couple of years.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I'll go with, we're still in the oven baking, not done yet.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

as long as the result is Bobby Ross like......

Just not getting that same vibe.
                      Dam the Bobby Ross card played the only coach to take us to a Super Bowl.

Offense Lynn has more weapons than Ross

QB Rivers > Humphries
                      RB Gordon\Oliver < Means\Bienemy\Harmon
                      WR Allen\Williams\Benjamin > T.Martin\Jefferson\Seay Sean Jefferson not John Jefferson
                      TE Gates\Henry > Pupunu\Young
                      OL 2017 <1 1994 they got Means 1340 yards rushing

On defense

DL Bosa\Ingram > Leslie Oneal\Davis
                      LB Brown\Perryman < Seau alone Hall of Famer
                      DB Hayward\Verret* > Darrien Gordon/Rodney Harrison

Special Teams
                      94 hands down K Carney, KR Andre Coleman, PR Darrien Gordon

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Stinky Wizzleteats+ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What good are passing game weapons to a running coach?

• Gwynning_Spirit
                        Gwynning_Spirit commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dump Whiz for Cam and he'll have them WR doing reverses in no time.
                    • Porterparty
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2017
                      • Send PM

Running the ball is fine, except the blocking is just not there. Something is missing, high school teams can run around the end once in a while. We seem to think we can run up the middle and we can't so forget it and run some reverses, end runs, draws etc.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Dam the Bobby Ross card played the only coach to take us to a Super Bowl.

Offense Lynn has more weapons than Ross

QB Rivers > Humphries
                        RB Gordon\Oliver < Means\Bienemy\Harmon
                        WR Allen\Williams\Benjamin > T.Martin\Jefferson\Seay Sean Jefferson not John Jefferson
                        TE Gates\Henry > Pupunu\Young
                        OL 2017 <1 1994 they got Means 1340 yards rushing

On defense

DL Bosa\Ingram > Leslie Oneal\Davis
                        LB Brown\Perryman < Seau alone Hall of Famer
                        DB Hayward\Verret* > Darrien Gordon/Rodney Harrison

Special Teams
                        94 hands down K Carney, KR Andre Coleman, PR Darrien Gordon
                        That was 3rd season with Ross, not the 1st. If nothing else, Ross and Beatherd had transformed the roster quite a bit by then. The 1992 team was largely the roster he inherited from Dan Henning. To me the biggest potential comparison is the fact that in Ross's 1st season, we started off 0-4, only to finish 11-5.

The one to one comparison don't work so well unless you do the entire roster. As you point out, the 1992/1994 teams were much better on the OL. None of the position groups the Chargers had under Ross was as weak as the OL group Lynn inherited. And that is holding the whole team back right now. Both because of the pass protection and the run blocking. Not that the Chargers had a great OL back then, although they had their moments in 1994 when they inserted Joe Cocozzo and Ike Davis into the starting lineup. and had Stan Brock and Harry Swayne at OT.

Both the roster Lynn has and Ross got are similar in that both should be a lot better than their records. Both the 1991 and 2016 teams had interesting ways to lose close games. The big difference is that if we could find a way to

Rodney Harrison was a backup who only played on ST. The starting S for the 1994 team were Stanley Richard and Darren Carrington, with Eric Castle being the 1st backup off the bench in the nickel and dime situations.

Just like the Chargers back then, we are going to have to check the waiver wire all offseason and see who is there. There are not many good players, but there can be guys who can help. We got Toomer off the street last year, and we got DT John Parella off the street during the season in 1994. But we aren't going to rebuild the OL that way. You can find a player here, or a player there. At some point, we need to find an OT or two to fill out the roster, and Lamp and Feeney are going to have to develop.

Comment

Working...
                        X