• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not a fan of that approach. Either go all in with Wiz and build the team around that approach or replace him and go in a different direction. We have suffered through way too many years of trying to maintain continuity.
    I wouldnt consider going into the 2nd season with them as continuity in the form the Chargers have tried the continuity approach. Norv needed to go sooner. McCoy needed to go a lot sooner. But not after just 16 games.

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      I wouldnt consider going into the 2nd season with them as continuity in the form the Chargers have tried the continuity approach. Norv needed to go sooner. McCoy needed to go a lot sooner. But not after just 16 games.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Because he did well before and he hasn't had a full year to see what he has. As well as a top first round pick that Tommy T looks to have missed once again
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

Because he did well before and he hasn't had a full year to see what he has. As well as a top first round pick that Tommy T looks to have missed once again
          He has been our OC for the past 25 games - how many more does he need to see what he has?

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Seems Whiz needs certain things in place to succeed, maybe we need an OC who can try and succeed with what we have? A woefully underused Henry is the poster boy for that change IMO.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Seems Whiz needs certain things in place to succeed, maybe we need an OC who can try and succeed with what we have? A woefully underused Henry is the poster boy for that change IMO.
              Watching teams like the Eagles and the Chiefs come up with creative plays and games plans game after game and then watching our stale, predictable play calling and I'm ready for a change.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

But keeping it that way is the bigger issue. Not recognizing and reverting back to Slausson at Center....and move Pulley to OG. Why dont we make those moves? Its maddening. Im starting to think the 40 different OL groupings last year were better than a relatively healthy group of starters this season. Or was the one constant lat year Slausson at OC? Because even with all the injuries last year we ran the ball better. We passed the ball better.
                The biggest issue I keep seeing is that the left A gap between Pulley and Slauson or Pulley and Feeney keeps getting a lot of attention on key downs. Either a Tackle slant, with the End looping back stunt, or a delayed blitz always works. Teams test it early, then once they see we haven't gotten it fixed, dial it up when we need it. The rest of the time, they seem content to just slant up and down the line, and the coordination between the guys, especially on zone runs breaks down. Usually, the OL stays on the double team too long, and the LB shoots through, but sometimes it is the OL coming off the block too soon, so the guy who has the DL doesn't have control of him.

To me, the performance of the OL has to be addressed. The fact that the OL coach keeps bouncing back and forth between OL and strength might be telling. Unlike most years, at least one young OL sings the new OL coaches approach. Crickets this season.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Watching teams like the Eagles and the Chiefs come up with creative plays and games plans game after game and then watching our stale, predictable play calling and I'm ready for a change.
                  It's a lot easier to try new and different things when you have confidence in how the OL is blocking. If you cannot block it, you cannot try it.

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Don't think McCoy or Norval would of done this:

Chargers had lost in overtime at Jacksonville the week prior in a game they mostly led. Late in it, Chargers safety Tre Boston grabbed an interception, danced out of bounds deep in Chargers territory and failed to advance the ball. That was just one of a myriad of stupid plays that helped lead to the Chargers defeat.

So, immediately in the locker room after the game, Boston was benched as a starter for the Buffalo game. The entire team walked on eggshells all week prior to Buffalo. Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn fumed. He was fed up with the Chargers inconsistent and unintelligent play. His staff smoothed the waters with the players.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

so how is that Chiefs offence going? Gimmicks are great, but execution play in and play out is what counts. We are executing our plays better, shooting ourselves in the foot less. Eliminating turnovers and pre snap penalties have been very important.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

I am of the opinion, and I'm just guessing here, but I know Fleet is on the same boat, that Lynn has backed out of the offense.

Chargers are no longer predictable on first and second down.

I do think he was trying to "make his stamp" on the offense, and use some of his running plays and ideas to open up the running game. And it just didn't "mesh" with how Whiz calls the games.

If you look at the last couple games, irregardless of the INT's by Buffalo, or the ineffectiveness of Dallas's offense... The Chargers offense looked like a different unit... completely different.

They looked like... well, they looked an awful lot like the team when Whiz was the OC in McCoy's first season, and they "came on" at the end of the year. That group may have ran the ball a little better, but they were in a rhythm and moved the ball up and down the field.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X