• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

That Gordon montage was painful and depressing to watch.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

Click on the Derrick twitter and watch the Ekeker runs, you will feel better I think

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

One way or the other, we will have a different starting RB next year.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Eckler is doing better because he runs blindly into the line. He gets some yards quickly, but I am not sure he is the kind of back who can sustain a running attack. He just runs right into the line. Give him more carries and the 50% of our runs where the RB gets hit in the backfield will get him just as skittish.

Gordon is at least trying to make his read, and not wimping out and skipping that part. At some point, our RB needs to be able to read the cuts on the zone runs, or let the blocking set up on the power runs.

Gordon struggles because he has not confidence in the OL. We still let the play get blown up at the point of attack as often as we block it well. Gordon is guessing. That never works. But it is hard to see what else he could do. THe OL has to let him get to his cut, put his foot and go, and that is just not happening.

We are approaching the point where Gordon is going to be so "damaged" that he never builds confidence, even when he is behind a good OL.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

On Sileo this morning Eric Williams said that Lynn told him that Gordon doesn't really fit the offense we are running. Not sure what to think of a coach saying stuff like that on the record to a reporter about his players. It also doesn't bode well for Gordon's future here - unless he is planning on replacing Wiz and installing an offense that does fit him.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              On Sileo this morning Eric Williams said that Lynn told him that Gordon doesn't really fit the offense we are running. Not sure what to think of a coach saying stuff like that on the record to a reporter about his players. It also doesn't bode well for Gordon's future here - unless he is planning on replacing Wiz and installing an offense that does fit him.
              He definitely is wrong for the current offense and QB. Which is a mark against him but also the scouting department and OC.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Charged4Life
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Send PM

I want to apologize for previous remarks I've made here regarding Gordon. I said something like "you'd have to be stupid and blind to still want Gordon as our starting RB". That would be in an ideal theoretical situation where we had decent choices to fall back on for our full-time RB play. That was a little rough. I'm sorry.

I still don't trust Gordon. He seems to run cold more often than hot. And I despise that perceived lack of fire. But he may be our best current option for full-time RB duty. So maybe I need to accept him (at least until we get a better option) and quit crying. ha

I mean what can I do about it exactly?

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post
                  I want to apologize for previous remarks I've made here regarding Gordon. I said something like "you'd have to be stupid and blind to still want Gordon as our starting RB". That would be in an ideal theoretical situation where we had decent choices to fall back on for our full-time RB play. That was a little rough. I'm sorry.

I still don't trust Gordon. He seems to run cold more often than hot. And I despise that perceived lack of fire. But he may be our best current option for full-time RB duty. So maybe I need to accept him (at least until we get a better option) and quit crying. ha

I mean what can I do about it exactly?
                  Gordon will be our starting RB the rest of the year, barring injury. It's not like we have much choice here - Ekeler seems like a 3rd down back and Williams and Oliver haven't shown me anything to think they belong on an NFL roster. The real question is who is our starting RB next season. Gordon has one year left on his contract but we REALLY need some depth here.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

So ive mentioned in the past that a stud #2 RB or a RB that turns out to be a gem in the mid rounds can really help a team. This year alone 3 guys in the 3rd round have really helped there teams. Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt and D'onta Foreman. You see a guy like Miller being inconsistent so they back up that investment with Foreman. And now hes taking snapas away and helping Houston. He was carted off yesterday sadly. Hunt started out strong but tailed off. Still a big score for the Chiefs. And Kamara was an absolute steal in the 3rd.

Over the years the 3rd and 4th round have turned out good RBs. So when you have a offense that is so reliant on the run game like we are it makes sense to make sure you have a stud behind the stud. If its me im drafting a RB this past draft. Or the year before. Its such an important position. RBs wear down...you dont want to drop off much with a #2. With how fragile Melvin is it makes a lot of sense to me to give him a battering mate.

I also feel this way about back up QB. You can set those positions up for a long time with a couple picks in the middle rounds. And if they dont work out its not a huge investment lost. We have made some bad picks in the 2-4 rounds. Id be ok with Marlon Mack over Jenkins this year had it played out that way. Jordan Howard over Josh Perry? Why not. Another guy i liked.

I always take a lot of heat after we drafted Gordon about using a mid round pick on his back up. But imo i think its an area in the draft that consistently produces good value.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      So ive mentioned in the past that a stud #2 RB or a RB that turns out to be a gem in the mid rounds can really help a team. This year alone 3 guys in the 3rd round have really helped there teams. Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt and D'onta Foreman. You see a guy like Miller being inconsistent so they back up that investment with Foreman. And now hes taking snapas away and helping Houston. He was carted off yesterday sadly. Hunt started out strong but tailed off. Still a big score for the Chiefs. And Kamara was an absolute steal in the 3rd.

Over the years the 3rd and 4th round have turned out good RBs. So when you have a offense that is so reliant on the run game like we are it makes sense to make sure you have a stud behind the stud. If its me im drafting a RB this past draft. Or the year before. Its such an important position. RBs wear down...you dont want to drop off much with a #2. With how fragile Melvin is it makes a lot of sense to me to give him a battering mate.

I also feel this way about back up QB. You can set those positions up for a long time with a couple picks in the middle rounds. And if they dont work out its not a huge investment lost. We have made some bad picks in the 2-4 rounds. Id be ok with Marlon Mack over Jenkins this year had it played out that way. Jordan Howard over Josh Perry? Why not. Another guy i liked.

I always take a lot of heat after we drafted Gordon about using a mid round pick on his back up. But imo i think its an area in the draft that consistently produces good value.
                      Great post. Could you imagine us with Kamara? We could have gone Lamp in the 1st and Kamara in the 2nd round. I would have been ecstatic. I'll stop crying.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Gordon is a very good RB. And will be good on the right team. Just not for this team
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

With our OL, I am not sure any RB would really look all that great. The OL is a work in progress, hence the whole running game is....

Comment

Working...
                          X