• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Draft 2018

We'll have a crazy high pick in next year's draft. Assuming Rivers (who may or not be clutch) can still be effective behind a reasonable - not world-beater, but reasonable - Oline, what OL will be worth that high of a pick? Guessing Wiggins will be gone with Lamp back, is there a tackle coming out we could take that high? Are there teams with greater QB issues who we could trade down with and still get our guy? Can't believe OL is still, STILL, our #1 game-killing issue but IMHO that's THE biggest thing holding us back regardless of the skill players on O.

Two high-pick OL last year was great even with one on IR, don't stop now TT, keep going.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

There could potentially be 2 top 5 OTs next year. Orlando Brown has been the next big thing for a little while. Conor Williams is a beast as well.

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • University English Lecturer
      • Send PM

If there's a sure thing QB out there, I think you have to take him. I think Rivers still has a couple of years, and that would allow the rook to sit and absorb from a master mind QB. Take best available OL in the next round. Our second will also be very high and it's likely a quality RT or guard will be available. Then go safety in the third.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Not convinced most QBs develop like that anymore (beyond seeing the future to know what the next sure thing is, cuz that always seems a crapshoot), seems whenever they start, immediately or after sitting a couple years, there are bumps regardless. If we ain't gonna play him yet, we shouldn't pick him yet. We can and should play a high-pick OL immediately, and even with bumps they'd be a huge upgrade over what we have now. I'm hating Rivers right now, but I'm not convinced he's done just yet, I'm going with benefit of the doubt for him transitioning this year to his commute. And well needing OL help.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          We'll have a crazy high pick in next year's draft. Assuming Rivers (who may or not be clutch) can still be effective behind a reasonable - not world-beater, but reasonable - Oline, what OL will be worth that high of a pick? Guessing Wiggins will be gone with Lamp back, is there a tackle coming out we could take that high? Are there teams with greater QB issues who we could trade down with and still get our guy? Can't believe OL is still, STILL, our #1 game-killing issue but IMHO that's THE biggest thing holding us back regardless of the skill players on O.

Two high-pick OL last year was great even with one on IR, don't stop now TT, keep going.
          If we're top 5, and there's a franchise type LT available with a high pick, take him. But I guess the second coming of Von Miller or Ray Lewis could change my mind and priority, but that's about it.

I certainly wouldn't overdraft or reach for a QB just because we happened to be top 5 or picking high. Looking at some of the orders where guys went just in the last 5 or so years, Dak goes later, Siemian was a 7th round comp pick and as serviceable as P.Lynch apparently, Manziel over Carr, 2013 was totally horrible...EJ Manuel, 2012, RGIII & B.Weeden go in Rd1, R.Wilson & K.Cousins in Rds 3 & 4.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Believe it or not our O is ranked 15th. With the passing game being over 2/3 of that, gotta believe Rivers can still be an even more above average QB with an average Oline in front of him, regardless if the running game improves. Not sure how we'd be better than that with a rookie QB behind the current Oline.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Not long ago i made a comment about Hank Bauer on twitter. And he reteeted it. Because its exactly what is happening now. He once said..."We didnt hope to win...we expected to win"

And he has said that this team lacks that winning desire. Or the knowhow and want to win. Even Tre Boston said its something he noticed when he got here and started to experience losing. I think he said it on the NFLN in fact. Maybe not.

But we need players with the mindset that they believe they can win. And if our current roster is filled with doubters then i want to make sure we get players with that mind set. I really like Rosens attitude. Hes confident and arrogant. Hes not humble. Im tired of nice guys. I love Rivers and his good guy schtick but when hes gone i want a legit monster at QB. Quick release. Football IQ through the roof and most of all a freak when it comes to confidence.

Probably pick up a few LA fans as well.

Comment

• Fleet
                Fleet commented
                Editing a comment
                Just one year. If Rivers goes out and throws 3 picks because he has no concern about ball security put him in. Rivers has to stop with that shit. Just because he is a Charger legend dosnt make that acceptable.

• Boltx
                Boltx commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope I'm wrong, but there's something very "Jay Cutler"ish about him...at least from the limited clips I've seen. Hope that's not the case.

• Classic
                Classic commented
                Editing a comment
                He is better than Cutler, Cutler was over drafted coming out of Vandy. Rosen is a better Eli Manning with Swagger. I'd jump up and down if we
            • Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Another position that is really hurting us is DT. Mebane is a decent DT, but he is on a snap count and has seen better days. Everyone else is good enough to be in a rotation, but no one stands out. Their run fits are never much more than OK, and they add little or nothing to the pass rush, even when Ingram has been moving inside on passing downs.

Liuget should be gone, because he is a fairly high salary, but isn't even playing that many snaps. I am OK with him as a rotation player, but unless he is willing to take a huge pay cut, is just not worth the salary. Then we could afford to add a real 3 technique DT to help Ingram and Bosa finish. Right now, they have both lost out on numerous sacks because the QB has room to step up and avoid them coming off the edge. And for teams like KC, edge rushers are just not going to get that much pressure unless there is push up the middle to flush the QB out.

I would still draft OT (or a dominant OG), but if we are out of the running for those spots, then DT is a place to go.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

The D line is consistently pushed two yards down the filed on running plays. That's not the way to stop the run.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I'm just looking at walterfootball's mock draft:

#1 Sam Darnold, QB, USC - Giants
                  #2 Trey Adams, OT, Washington - Bengals
                  #3 Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU - 49ers
                  #4 Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State - Browns
                  #5 Derwin James, S, Florida State - Chargers
                  #6 Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame - Colts
                  #7 Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama - Browns
                  #8 Connor Williams, OT, Texas, - Seahawks
                  #9 Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama - Saints
                  #10 Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M - Bears

Other picks of note: Cardinals taking Josh Rosen (#13) and Jets taking Lamar Jackson (#14)

I've not watched enough Florida State games to form an opinion on Derwin James, but he is apparently seen as a future star. Based off the team needs it could be a good fit, however if one of those tackles (McGlinchey or Williams) are potential all pro left tackles, then I would probably prefer to see us draft one of them if we believe that Philip Rivers is still our quarterback and there is no can't miss QB prospect.

With that said, I wonder if the team would consider drafting a hometown kid (Darnold or Rosen) to try and win over the local population?

It could make sense that this team goes down that path to help the team's transition rather than drafting the best player available and perhaps over drafting someone. We all love Philip Rivers and want to see him return to playing at a high level and lead this team back into the play offs, but is he really marketable to the LA market? I'm not sure. I think it will be harder for him to win over local fans than a hometown kid. I could be wrong. The locals might be disinterested in this team even with Darnold or Rosen as quarterback, but I suspect this team could decide to draft one of those top prospects if they fell to them rather than a top OT or defensive prospect on the gamble that they boost this team's popularity.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I'm punching TT in the nuts if we take a S over an OT.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      I'm punching TT in the nuts if we take a S over an OT.
                      I'd normally agree with this, but if the prospect is anything like Jamal Adams or Jalen Ramsey (there was debate over him playing CB or S during the draft) then I could understand why we might decide to go for a safety at that point. Also, if Okung manages to play well enough then that might color the team's decision on what path to take in the draft. I personally would prefer to see us take a potential stud tackle prospect to anchor our line, but we are a team with many needs and arguably we could project any number of players at that point in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                      X