Bhi craic agus ceol again
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2017
    • Principal Quality Engineer
    • Send PM

Chargers Penalties

Just for discussion:

Total:
    38, tied with Chicago, an Houston. They are in the bottom 3rd of the league, indicating that there are too many breakdowns that give the opposition free yards IMHO. To get better they will have to give away fewer yards and first downs.
    Only the following have more:
    Jacksonville (39)
    New England (30)
    Seattle (41)
    Pittsburgh (42)
    Kansas City (42)
    San Francisco (49)

Delay of Game:
    7, most in the league, next closest is Carolina with 4

False Starts:
    8, only 3 teams have more:
    Los Angeles Rams (9)
    San Francisco (9)
    Indianapolis (12)

Offensive Holding:
    3, this the Chargers are one of the better teams as only 2 teams have fewer Tampa Bay, and Miami, with 2 each.

Offensive Pass Interference:
    0, 9 teams, including the Chargers have 0.

Offside:
    3, Seattle leads the league with 6. I expected more based on the aggressive pass rush the Chargers have. Pleasantly surprised with this one being so low.

Defensive Holding:
    2, again a lower stat than expected especially with the weakness of the secondary. Kansas City leads the league with 9.

Illegal Contact. Defensive Pass Interference:
    Chargers have 0, while Cincinnati leads the league with 10. I wonder if it is that the Chargers are not close enough to interfere, or just not getting flagged.

Roughing the Passer:
    Chargers have 1, most teams have 1, while 10 have 0. Not much to see here. Again I would not be surprised to see more, given the aggressive pass rush.

Unnecessary Roughness:
    Chargers have the 3rd most with 3. Oakland has 4, Pittsburgh and Detroit have 5.

Other Fouls:
    Chargers are middle of the pack with 11 other fouls.

Does this say anything to anyone else?
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Not sure why Rivers seems to be panicked to get the ball hiked every fucking snap. It blows my mind. It has to be communication. What is holding him up? Why is he slower to recognize and change the call? Its happening to fast for him it feels. And again i have to wonder if hes just not right in some way.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The Delay of Game and False Start should be correctable, but maybe due to hostile crowds home and away. It really isn't about giving the opposing sides yards, but more about stalling out promising drives due to lack of or poor communication between the QB with the sidelines as well as the the line of scrimmage.

Comment

• Concudan
        Generous Donor
        • Jun 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Not sure why Rivers seems to be panicked to get the ball hiked every fucking snap. It blows my mind. It has to be communication. What is holding him up? Why is he slower to recognize and change the call? Its happening to fast for him it feels. And again i have to wonder if hes just not right in some way.
        He has always made me mad with his clock management at the LOS. Especially in a situational hurry up play. But the safety last game, that is just frustrating on so many levels. If the Center isnt looking back, isnt one of the guards supposed to look back, then tap his leg? No excuses for that mess up.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I don't think he has a severe head injury that is making him unable to process signals. If I had to guess, I'd say Whiz is taking too long to send in the plays. Whatever the reason, I wish they'd speed it up by a couple of seconds.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Head injury didnt cross my mind. lol I think its a communication issue. And maybe a lack of ability to read and react to what hes seeing on the defense. Just a thought. Again i wonder if hes overburdened by traveling every day. I doubt his film study in a car is exactly what they have in a full blown NFL film room.

Comment

• Concudan
              Generous Donor
              • Jun 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              The Delay of Game and False Start should be correctable, but maybe due to hostile crowds home and away. It really isn't about giving the opposing sides yards, but more about stalling out promising drives due to lack of or poor communication between the QB with the sidelines as well as the the line of scrimmage.
              I agree.
              And the communication between the sideline and Rivers MUST be fixed.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The delay of game thing is that they are having Rivers do all the protection adjustments. It makes sense since Pulley probably has never done protection adjustments before. But, when Rivers calls out a play, then changes it, then adjusts the protection.... it adds up. Maybe they need to consider letting Slauson do the adjustments, assuming he was the one doing the adjustments last year.

I'm just pretty sure, that with as often as it is happening, we are going to see defenses doing, even more, disguises and adjustments to hide their calls until the last possible second to try and get Rivers to keep adjusting the play. At some point, we may be better off with the next best play, and just adjusting the protection in an effort to speed things up.

As far as the totals, I would rather see us take a few more, it they are smartly done. We have allowed several broken coverages, so a PI or holding call is not out of line if the guy is going to score for sure, and a few offsides to really get the OL to start being a little twitchy (even more so than they already are) wouldn't kill us either.

Part of why we have so few PI and holding calls is we are letting WR and TE run through our secondary and not really contesting them as much as we should. KC may lead the league, but for the most part, their secondary is contesting a lot of throws, so to a degree, you can live with some of those. Washington had only 1 PI call in a season once, but they had the worst coverage in NFL history, so it isn't necessarily a positive if you are giving up lots of long TD passes.
                Last edited by Steve; 10-10-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Head injury didnt cross my mind. lol I think its a communication issue. And maybe a lack of ability to read and react to what hes seeing on the defense. Just a thought. Again i wonder if hes overburdened by traveling every day. I doubt his film study in a car is exactly what they have in a full blown NFL film room.
                  I feel like this happened even when Norval was coaching
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• RollingThunder
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't think he has a severe head injury that is making him unable to process signals. If I had to guess, I'd say Whiz is taking too long to send in the plays. Whatever the reason, I wish they'd speed it up by a couple of seconds.
                    This has been going on since the days of Norv. Quite frankly, he spazzes out and as Steve points out, defenses are now toying with him.

Both the delay of game penalties and the false starts are interconnected and are the result of rushing and being disorganized before the snap.

Two other effects of this is 1. it allows the defenses to be able to time the snaps and tee off and 2. It unbalances our offensive line and they don't manage to get a full push because they have no idea at what point the ball is getting snapped so they end up on their heels.

If you wonder why we don't run block very well, it's not only a talent gap but it is also being put at a disadvantage from the get go due to the chaotic pre-snaps which in effect unbalances the line.

Go back and watch games where Rivers is deep into his adjustments and you will see that almost every time, the O-line gets overrun.

If I'm a defense, my strategy against Rivers and the chargers is the following:

1. Get him to adjust into the final seconds of the snap count, placing the O-line on their heels.

2. Focus on pushing up the middle so he can't step into his throw and has to move outside the pocket. If you can get Rivers outside of the pocket you are almost guaranteed a lost down every time because for whatever reason, Rivers cannot throw on the run at all. It is a guaranteed lost play at the very minimum. You also stop the inside runs the Chargers insist on running on first and second downs.

These two things are what cause the Chargers to be in 3rd and long situations constantly as well as disorganized and unbalanced in time critical situations.

Part of it is on Rivers but you can also blame bad coaching since they allow it to go on unimpeded.

Also, If I was the GM of this team the number one thing I would have fixed looooong ago above all else would have been beefing up the middle of the line. Rivers needs a quality center and guards to be successful(early part of his career). He is great at moving within the pocket but he needs to be able to step up into the pocket to be able to do that but again he does no favors to the guys we have there now with the chaotic line adjustments.

If we can get the problem with Rivers and the middle of the line under control, this team could bounce back rather quickly on the offensive end. All we need now is some competent coaching to recognize this and adjust.

I really liked the end around runs and trick plays we used in the last game. We need more of that to keep defenses guessing. Unfortunately we seem to always go back to the same old things.
                    Last edited by RollingThunder; 10-11-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• captaind
                      Cook This Pork Chops
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Mars
                      • Ball Holder
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Fleet, you really think on all those passes Rivers can his an open receiver while he is fading backward without his feet set?

This guy made zero effort to look at the rest of the play, or to roll back and forth through it. Yes, the receivers are open, but that is irrelevant if the QB can't get the ball to them.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍