• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2004 QB Draft Class

Don't worry, I'm not here to argue who had the better career, etc. Likely all 3 go to the HOF.

They are all also probably going to retire soon. It's weird for me on a personal level because 2004 is when I graduated from college so it's been interesting to watch their careers in that regard. And when they do retire, it'll make me feel old, LOL. Yes, it's all about me.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

If Rivers career fades in to oblivion form this point on I do not think he will get in to the HOF. Gates will but Rivers has never been All-Pro and the only statistical category he has led the league in is interceptions and has very limited post season success or 4th quarter comebacks. His winning percentage has been going way down recently too. What is Rivers signature victory? What is his HOF moment? He has broken Dan Fouts franchise records because the league favors passing more now by rule, all passing stats today are better than in the past pretty much.
    Last edited by BlazingBolt; 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Until recently passed by current QBs, Vinnie Testeverde was a top 10 passing QB. No one is clamoring for him to be in the HOF.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          WindsorUK commented
          Editing a comment
          This.
      • BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

Drew Bledsoe and Carson Palmer are also pretty high no one is saying they are HOF. I think Dan Fouts was all time leading passer when he retired, as was Marino...perhaps Moon and Tarkenton were as well. All the others have SuperBowls.

I don't even think Eli is HOF but he might make it anyway. Ben probably will get in.

I don't think retiring in the top 10 automatically gets you in. It's not like baseball with hallowed statistical records where certain milestones usually means your in automatically.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• captaind
          Cook This Pork Chops
          • Jun 2013
          • Mars
          • Ball Holder
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Until recently passed by current QBs, Vinnie Testeverde was a top 10 passing QB. No one is clamoring for him to be in the HOF.

Comment

• captaind
            Cook This Pork Chops
            • Jun 2013
            • Mars
            • Ball Holder
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
            Drew Bledsoe and Carson Palmer are also pretty high no one is saying they are HOF. I think Dan Fouts was all time leading passer when he retired, as was Marino...perhaps Moon and Tarkenton were as well. All the others have SuperBowls.

I don't even think Eli is HOF but he might make it anyway. Ben probably will get in.

I don't think retiring in the top 10 automatically gets you in. It's not like baseball with hallowed statistical records where certain milestones usually means your in automatically.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Fouts, Tarkenton, Jim Kelly.... none of them won a SB. They are in the hall of fame.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Gwynning_Spirit commented
                Editing a comment
                *and as BlazingBolt mentioned Moon is as well... who went 3-7 in the NFL playoffs and never made it past the Divisional Round. His last Playoff win was in 1991, he played until 2000.
                Rivers is currently 4-5.

6025 commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty sure Moon was also recognized for his CFL achievements, something like 5 championships. It’s the “Pro Football” HOF.

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Gwynning_Spirit commented
                Editing a comment
                Somebody tell Joe Kapp and Flutie to get ready for that call to the hall.
            • Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I used to think River was HOF. No More. Too many bad years at the end of his career is what voters will remember.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Not necessarily. Dan Marino's last four visits to the postseason saw him put up some fairly poor performances, especially his embarrassing defeat against the Jaguars (62-7) which sent him into retirement. That didn't really color people's perception of Dan Marino. Other QBs like Jim Kelly and Brett Favre had fairly poor last season's by their standards, yet people remembered the great years before that. Same goes for Marino, when most people think of that guy they don't think about the 62-7 defeat in the play offs (Jags fans aside), they think of the prolific passer.

I think in Rivers case it is possible people will not blame him for his final years play, instead they will point the finger at the organisation for letting him down and not surrounding him with better players and coaches. The same can be said for Dirk Nowitzki in the NBA with the Dallas Mavericks, his final years to date have been fairly sad because he's never had the supporting cast to help him win another ring.

Sometimes great players get stuck on bad teams and in Rivers case he has been one of them. Fortunately most people remember the great years rather than the bad.
            • Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

Rivers is HOF lock and so is everyone else in that 2004 QB Class. Eli is inconsistent as hell but he beat Tom Brady twice and 2011 was 1 of a few QBS to throw 5000 in 2011. Big Ben will get in because #1 he is a steeler. #2 He has 3 SB trips and 2 rings.

Who is blocking them entering? Unless they retire early, they should be the lead dogs of their HOF Class. Peyton Manning will be in while their still playing. If Brees and Brady retire in the next 2 years they won't stop Rivers from entering the hall. The only way I could see them not getting in is if Brees, Brady and 2004 class all retire at the same time.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

5 years ago, despite the team setting into Norv mediocrity, I thought Rivers was on a track to being a sure-fire 1st ballot HOF'er. Not so much now. I think he has a chance to get in, but not a 'lock' like it once seemed. Too many INTs, too many bad teams. Could turn around.
                NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

I think Rivers gets in, though it may take a few years depending on when guys like Brees, Brady, Eli (ugh), and Ben retire.

Comment

Working...
                  X