• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Will Rivers Get To 500 TDs?

Brees just threw for his 500th TD. He has played 4 complete seasons more than Rivers. Rivers currently sits at 337 TD passes. After this year he will need to throw for likely 150 more TDs. Assuming he plays 4 more years until the age 39 thats 37 TDs a season his last 4 years.

I dont think he has it in him to be honest. But he may have it in him to try. I think that 500 club means could be something he quietly wants. It cements his HOF status if he cant win a SB.
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Well he does have Henry and Mike Williams is a huge target. Im a little surprised we are not throwing 2-3 TDs a game to be honest. Maybe if we get our OL woes handled he can put up better numbers in this offense under Lynn.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Well he does have Henry and Mike Williams is a huge target. Im a little surprised we are not throwing 2-3 TDs a game to be honest. Maybe if we get our OL woes handled he can put up better numbers in this offense under Lynn.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Yeah i dont know. I see Rivers with 260 attempts and our RBs with 160 attempts and that makes us a fairly pass happy team. Rivers is still top 6 in pass attempts inside the 20 and 2nd overall in the NFL with pass attempts inside the 10. That last stat tells me we are at the very least balanced inside the 10 as Gordon has 10 rushes inside the 10 to Rivers 24 or so pass attempts. And Gordon had 4 of those on one series. I recall the game against the Raiders inside the 10 and this was the play selection. On the TD where Gordon dove into the endzone on 4th.
            • 2:36 - 2nd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass short left to K.Allen to OAK 10 for 12 yards (R.Nelson).
            • 1st and Goal at OAK 10

(1:59 - 2nd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass short left to M.Gordon to OAK 6 for 4 yards (T.Carrie, N.Morrow).
            • (1:59 - 2nd) Two-Minute Warning
            • 2nd and Goal at OAK 6

(1:53 - 2nd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete short left to M.Gordon (T.Carrie).
            • 3rd and Goal at OAK 6

(1:47 - 2nd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass short middle to H.Henry to OAK 1 for 5 yards (K.Joseph, D.Amerson).
            • (1:47 - 2nd) Timeout #2 by OAK at 01:47.
            • 4th and Goal at OAK 1

(1:44 - 2nd) Melvin Gordon 1 Yard Rush N.Novak extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Windt, Holder-D.Kaser.
            I get what you are saying about being a running team inside the redzone but im not sure the numbers at this point suggest that. I just think we are playing really bad football in both the run and passing phases and i think the OL is a huge part of it but there is something holding us back.

The pass/run attempts are way lopsided overall for a run heavy team. Look at Buffalo and you will see that they have more rush attempts than pass. And for us i would expect our lopsided number to be based on the fact that we are blown out of games and playing catch up. We have been behind but not by much this season. Its just a strange season to me on offense. Things are not right. But the good news is i think we end up finding out where the snag is and getting loose eventually. We should be a top 5 offense with all the talent we have.

Even if we are not a total run heavy team...and even if we are top 10 in pass attempts over the next 4 seasons....i still cant see Rivers breaking 500.

Comment

• Screeme
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Honestly.. I am not sure that Rivers even has 4 years left in him.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                WindsorUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, if the opposing D doesn't kill him, the commute will!
            • Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

I'd love it if he made it. I think he is a HOF lock so as long as his stats are better than Big Ben and Eli. The next QBS with shots at 500 TD are Eli, Rodgers and Big Ben. I think Rodgers makes it obviously unless injury keeps him out. Eli isn't in NY forever but he is an Ironman like Rivers and could get 2nd chance somewhere like Jacksonville.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Not with Lynn as the HC. He would need a HC that likes to throw more like Payton does. Brees wouldnt have the stats he has right now had he stayed with the Chargers his whole career. He wouldnt have any 5,000 yard seasons.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                  Honestly.. I am not sure that Rivers even has 4 years left in him.
                  I wouldn't want Rivers on this team at 39. He'll, I might not even want him next year.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

If we get him an OL that gives him the time to throw, he has a chance. We potentially have a lot of big-play receivers. Benjamin has a ton of speed, and he can exploit even minor mistakes in coverages. Williams has had a lot of short crosses go for big gains. Williams is kinda the king of run after the catch and winning jump passes. Henry had 8TD, and only figures to get more once Gates retires. Allen would be a big play guy for a lot of teams, yet is more of a possession guy for us. It's a good problem to have.

There are just too many weapons to give up on our throwing and becoming run first team. Lynn wants to run more, but I think that is just about finding balance. Open up the big play chances if the D doesn't know what is coming and bites on some play action fakes.

Given that Lynn wants to run more, that hurts the chances some, but I agree with Fleet that I don't think we ever completely give up throwing, even in the red zone.

The big things that have to happen is to allow Rivers to sit back and go through his progressions. Our offense sucks because Rivers is making all his reads pre-snap and then throwing the ball even before his feet are set on the 3rd or 5th step. We have to give our full playbook a chance to play out. There are a lot of our best routes are the crossing and deeper routes, and those may be getting called some, but Rivers has to go to the quick hitting routes in the pattern.

The other big thing is they need to get Eckler into the groove as a 3rd down back. When our offense is playing well, it has been because we have that quickness guy to exploit the quick drops of the coverage with a 3rd down guy. Eckler is not exactly like Woodhead or Sproles, but I think he can be a good player in that role. He certainly looks the part. He lacks exposure in the passing game, so he has a ways to go. But add in a quick player who can run some nifty routes and turn LB around, and our O is going to keep moving the sticks and give those big play guys the opportunities to make big plays.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

It's just frustrating that year after year we keep having the same complaints about the middle of our line and how much better our offense could be if we could fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X