• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Hopefully the team takes these two weeks to fix things as best they're able. Rivers should look at film of all of his throws, might learn something.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      It's just frustrating that year after year we keep having the same complaints about the middle of our line and how much better our offense could be if we could fix it.
      It's not like they aren't trying. The problem is everything they do either fails (stays the same) or makes things worse.

I did think drafting Lamp and Feeney was a step in the right direction.

I do like the fact that I feel like there is some hope. The last 2 seasons, we had a vet OL with mostly vets backing up. There was no hope once the injuries started. Guy who are in the middle of their careers are not (usually) going to improve dramatically. This year, at least guys like Pulley, Feeney, Schofield.... all have a chance to improve.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I sort of feel like Center is the missing link. Ever since Hardwick retired. I liked Slausson but im not sure he was Hardwick. I think long term we should be ok with Lamp and Feeney. Im not sold on Pulley.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          I sort of feel like Center is the missing link. Ever since Hardwick retired. I liked Slausson but im not sure he was Hardwick. I think long term we should be ok with Lamp and Feeney. Im not sold on Pulley.
          Agree about center. IMO, Slausson is just a guy. Great clubhouse guy and a good mentor but the fact that he wasn't as bad as the scrubs he replaced kind of had people more impressed with him than they should have been.

Comment

• Attack
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2017
            • Send PM

I've been thinking the same thing about C being the spot to upgrade next year. Was looking at the top ranked C prospects and Billy Price at Ohio State seems to be the top guy right now. What if TT drafted 2 more OL in 1st and 2nd round next yr, like Conor Williams and then Billy Price, for a OL of Okung, Feeney, Price, Lamp, and Williams.

As far as QB in the draft, if TT chooses to go that route in the 1st round, I hope it's not Lamar Jackson or Josh Rosen. I don't like Jackson's style of play, and just don't have a good feeling about Rosen being a gamer or a tough player, and he just doesn't look the part either.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

I dont think Rosen and Darnold are ready. I like Rosens confidence and i think hes a really smart player who will eventually get a lot better. Darnold makes a lot of bad decisions. And those decisions will crucify a QB in the NFL. Look at Winston.

I really like Mason Rudolph. I think hes a big pocket passer who can move. And i think he can run a pro style offense as well as the read option which is something that Lynn may really want.

Im all for drafting more OL next year. Im sort of leaning DT/OL/QB in the first. Also like Derwin James. Minkah Fitzpatrick is another DB i really like that can play CB and FS.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I'm beginning to wonder if young QB who make a lot of bad reads/poor decisions in college every really fixes their problem. Certainly, every QB gets better with coaching, but are there some weaknesses which just cannot be overcome.

As far as Pulley goes, I think he may be an NFL caliber OL, but the jury is still out over him as a C. I actually thought he did a good job as an LG last year filling in for Franklin. Outside of his play vs the Giants and NE, I am not sold on him at C. Definitely some good things in there, but a lot of bad too.

We have certainly struggled in not having a C since Hardwick. Slauson was our best OL last year but was not really anything more than average. We just were not in a position to let a guy who was even average go, because guys like Franklin are not even average. I think having 1 guy with his kind of toughness is kinda a must, but Slauson is closing in at the end of the line at his age. If we bring him back, we need some other options to have them push each other.

We need a 3 technique DT to really help the DL too. I think Liuget might be an OK run stuffer, but he has the contract of a very good pass rushing DT, so that has to be addressed for next season if he is going to shift to NT. If he is going to stay at 3 technique, he has to start making some more plays. Mebane is nearing the end of the line too, but his contract is more reasonable for a run stuffer.

We have to get another Earl Thomas type of deep middle S. Phillips, Demond King and Addae are all doing good stuff in the short areas, but all of them are way better the closer they are to the line, or out along the sidelines. I don't think Boston has helped the play at S much. We need a better deep S to control the middle of the field.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Tijuana
                  • Send PM

No, he'll have 350 at the end of the year, add 25 each season for the next 3 years that's 425, plus maybe 20 his last year and it's 445, 450 tops

Comment

• Attack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Send PM

ESPN.com has an article today about predicting the QB of every team in the 2020 season, and it is predicted that the Chargers QB will be Tyrod Taylor. I hope not. Not my kind of QB style.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Tyrod Taylor is probably still going to be playing for Buffalo, or he will be on his way out of the league. Guys like him are not going to get too many chances, even though he is actually doing a pretty good job for Buffalo (and has been).

We may well be in flux at the QB position, depending on how long Rivers plays, but to think anyone can guess at who will be the QB is kinda funny.

IF Rivers has any chance at 500 TD, Mike Williams will have to become a TD machine. The rest of the WR and TE can all be productive additionally guy, and Eckler would need to develop as a 3rd down RB, but the weapons are pretty much there. T. Williams and Benjamin can stretch the field and both are decent complementary weapons, but neither is going to score more than 8-10 per season. Henry is probably the best inline TE in football right now, although if we could add an H-back type guy to work the short perimeter more, that would help Henry. Eckler could add Woodhead type underneath production, but that really means that a guy like Williams is going to have to add a ton of TD catches, along with whatever Gordon can add coming out of the backfield.

But if Rivers doesn't double up on the number of TD pass per season (so 45-50 per year), he basically doesn't have a chance to throw 500 unless he pulls a George Blanda and plays forever.
                      Last edited by Steve; 11-10-2017, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X