• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

could very well go down just like that.

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

If we have an opportunity to draft Darnold (or trade up for him without having to give up the farm), I would take him. He is mobile, has huge upside, is a big game player, and is a winner. Granted, he doesn't have a great deal of experience, so would need to ride the bench for a year to learn, but I think he is the best of the QB bunch. I wonder if he would pull an Eli, though, and not want to play for these owners. I see Darnold as Brady, and Rosen as Manning, if I could make those comparisons, with Darnold being a gritty, tougher type of player, and Rosen being more of a finesse type of player.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Comment

• chris9341
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
          If we have an opportunity to draft Darnold (or trade up for him without having to give up the farm), I would take him. He is mobile, has huge upside, is a big game player, and is a winner. Granted, he doesn't have a great deal of experience, so would need to ride the bench for a year to learn, but I think he is the best of the QB bunch. I wonder if he would pull an Eli, though, and not want to play for these owners. I see Darnold as Brady, and Rosen as Manning, if I could make those comparisons, with Darnold being a gritty, tougher type of player, and Rosen being more of a finesse type of player.
          LOL so by your comparison you're saying that Brady was the tougher of the two between him and Manning and Manning was basically a puss? Because it seems to me thats what you're saying. Now a player that no one seems to be mentioning is Jake Browning from Washington. Now if he declares for the draft this year he will be taken in the top ten and I could see the chargers drafting him if he is available. Personally I see Darnold in the same way as Matt Lienhart and Pete Marinovich, great QB's at USC and way over hyped and didn't amount to much in the NFL. Who is the last great QB to come out of USC that was really good and had a good NFL career? Carson Palmer is the only one I can think of and his career is pretty much over. I gaurentee you if he is under contract the Cardinals will release him and if his contract runs out they won't resign him.

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

LOL so by your comparison you're saying that Brady was the tougher of the two between him and Manning and Manning was basically a puss? Because it seems to me thats what you're saying. Now a player that no one seems to be mentioning is Jake Browning from Washington. Now if he declares for the draft this year he will be taken in the top ten and I could see the chargers drafting him if he is available. Personally I see Darnold in the same way as Matt Lienhart and Pete Marinovich, great QB's at USC and way over hyped and didn't amount to much in the NFL. Who is the last great QB to come out of USC that was really good and had a good NFL career? Carson Palmer is the only one I can think of and his career is pretty much over. I gaurentee you if he is under contract the Cardinals will release him and if his contract runs out they won't resign him.
            Yeah but he is different QB and it's different era. It's true, he probably is tad overrated due to being from USC and people having too lofty of expectations. But imo he looks a lot better than Leinart and Barkely. Sanchez was never great, he just got drafted by desperate team in the Jets. Oh and as for Carson, I still believe the Bengals ruined Palmer's career after the hit he took in the 2005 wild card playoffs game.

Comment

• Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

That's because of the huge amount of underclassmen that will be coming out.

I'd doubt more than 4 QBs get taken in 1st round.

Darnold/Rosen/Jackson look like locks to me to go in the 1st round.

After that you have QBs with mix reviews but great intangibles or physical traits.

Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Jarrett Stidham and Mason Rudolph

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Watching the USC UCLA game tonight and neither QB is impressing me.

Comment

• Classic
                  Hall Of Fame
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Watching the USC UCLA game tonight and neither QB is impressing me.
                  Is that why half the leagues G.M were at the game including Tommy Telesco

I will say Darnold didn't preform as well but did better in the 2nd half. Rosen is literally the only thing keep UCLA good. It's why the team asks him to throw so much.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Im expecting Rosen to get a lot of Goff comparisons. He wont put up monster TD totals like Goff did his final year. But they have a similar game. Similar traits. I think Rosen has a pretty high ceiling. Darnold needs to shed the turnover flag. I think hes turned the ball over the most in D1. Hes still a first rounder but he has a chance to be #1 overall one day. But SC QBs dont transfer over all that well to the pros. Im not sure hes ready. I think he could lose some money if he comes out. If he comes out you dont want him playing right away and making the same mistakes he does now. Or he will end up being another Barkley.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Is that why half the leagues G.M were at the game including Tommy Telesco

I will say Darnold didn't preform as well but did better in the 2nd half. Rosen is literally the only thing keep UCLA good. It's why the team asks him to throw so much.
                      I only watched the first half and more than anything the decision making was just really bad at times for both - especially Darnold scrambling instead of throwing the ball away and allowing the half to end while USC was deep.

Here is a take from Daniel Jeremiah on the two QBS:

Darnold wins game, Rosen wins QB battle in UCLA-USC

By Daniel Jeremiah

LOS ANGELES -- NFL scouts had Saturday's UCLA-USC game circled on the calendar all the way back in the summer. We knew back then that the matchup between Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen would be must-see viewing for league evaluators, and I was there, along with reps from 20 NFL teams, to watch arguably the top 2 quarterbacks in college football in person.

Both QBs really struggled to establish a rhythm on Saturday, but Darnold's Trojans came out on top, 28-23.

Here are 5 takeaways on Darnold and Rosen after watching them in the most anticipated QB matchup of the season.

1. Darnold won the game Saturday, but Rosen won the QB battle. On this night, Rosen (32 of 52 for 421 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT) was clearly the more impressive guy. Rosen showed everything as a passer that a scout would want to see. He showed deep-ball touch, drive velocity and toughness inside the pocket. It seems weird to say this because there weren't a lot of points in this game, but Rosen put on somewhat of a QB clinic on Saturday.

No matter where scouts stood on Rosen coming into this game, I think they probably left with a stronger impression of what he can do.

2. I still view Darnold as the better prospect. I came into this game thinking both Darnold and Rosen are really good players, but I had Darnold ranked ahead of Rosen. I'm not going to change where I stand on that topic based off a single viewing of this game.

I still saw a lot of good things from Darnold, even though his stat line was not impressive (17 of 28 for 264 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT; 1 rushing TD). He made some special tight-window throws and showed off his ability to extend plays with his mobility. Rosen's more polished. Darnold's more of a playmaker. The game Saturday reinforced those things about each QB.

3. Both of these QBs are far from perfect. For Darnold, his decision making has to improve. He threw a pick, adding to his FBS lead in turnovers (19 total) and his lack of awareness on a run at end of the first half cost USC a chance to put points on the board. He was way too frenetic in the first half, bailing out of several clean pockets. In those situations, he needs to stick his cleats in the ground, work through his progression and deliver the ball. Darnold had played better in the past month after some struggles early in the season, but Saturday was a little bit of a step back for him. It was an uneven performance.

In Rosen's case, he also has to do a better job of protecting the ball. He turned ball over twice in the red zone, with an interception and a fumble. However, it's hard to fault him for those mistakes since he wasn't given much time to throw by his pass protection.

4. Darnold and Rosen were the focus this week, but the most impressive physical specimen among QB prospects wasn't playing on Saturday.That title belongs to Wyoming's Josh Allen, who didn't play for the Cowboys on Saturday after injuring his shoulder last week. I was talking to an NFL exec at the UCLA-USC game and he said if you want to judge a QB based on who looks best in warmups, Allen is the best he's seen and it's not even close. When it comes to size and arm strength, Allen is still the leader of the pack.

5. There were a few NFL QBs that came to mind when I watched the Pac-12 QBs go head to head on Saturday. I've compared Rosen to Eli Manning in the past, but on Saturday I saw Matt Ryan with a little bit more arm strength when I watched the UCLA star. I still see some of Tony Romo in Darnold's style of play.

That being said, Darnold's had some great moments this year, but he still hasn't shown anything close to the magic he had in the Rose Bowl against Penn State last season. He still has two games to show it this season with the Pac-12 championship game and a bowl game to go. Rosen needs to lead UCLA to a win next week against Cal to become bowl eligible. I'm anxious to see how both of these QBs finish off the 2017 season.

Comment

• whookimane
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I want Jackson or Mayfield. Hard pass (wont even pick high enough anyway thank god) on Rosen or Darnold

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Panamamike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Strong disagreement on Jackson. He is way too innacurate for my liking. Exciting as hell, especially vs weak teams, but his thin frame will get killed in the NFL, he is inaccurate with bad footwork , and has a lot of balls knocked down at the line. I would rather try to get teddy Bridgewater out of Minny if his health checks out.
                      • Rugger05
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Dan Patrick threw out the Mayfield Rivers comparison this morning on his show. He thought they were both the same size and had similar traits in how they both like to talk on the field. Someone on his show said they thought Mayfield was 6'2". Someone looked it up and OU has him listed at 6'1", which means he is probably closer to 6 foot. I could see him falling to the 2nd round after the combine.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍