• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Harris to Backup RT.

Chargers move Michael Harris to backup right tackle By James Dator on Jul 1 2013, 5:37p @James_Dator  +

Last year's Cinderella story is having to prove himself all over again in year two, now with bigger challenges.

ichael Harris was an unexpected surprise for the San Diego Chargers in 2012. He rose from being an undrafted free agent out of UCLA to the team's starting left tackle, thanks to a shaky offensive line. However, things aren't quite so sunny in 2013; Harris finds himself fighting for the backup right tackle job, according to UT San Diego.

While Harris' rise was impressive -- he started nine games last year -- his on-field play wasn't. In their preview for team needs, Pro Football Focus gave him a rating of -43.4,the lowest of any offensive tackle charted. This weighed heavily into the Chargers' decision to invest a first-round pick in Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker.

More: More on the Chargers at Bolts from the

Blue

The left tackle spot will be held by free agent Max Starks,signed this year, while Fluker will get the nod on the right. This leaves the backup RT spot as an open competition. San Diego has multiple players who can swing between both tackles, which makes the prospect of projecting the backup spots less than ideal.

Harris was largely a victim of circumstance last year, being asked to play left tackle as an undrafted free agent, and could still find himself as an important rotational player on the line.
    Go Rivers!
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Now when Fluker moves to Guard Harris can start again
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltacious Ta Ta's
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I know Harris was an undrafted FA but he was far from raw. He will be 25 years old this year and has been playing ball since all 4 years at Duarte High (plus 5 years at UCLA). If he does not show drastic improvement this year...he never will. I think he is a scrub that just happened to be the only LT left last year, pretty pathetic.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Rotational players on the o-line?
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

He will be cut if the oline depth has improved.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

And there's no place on a squad for a backup RT. You're either a swing OT or an OG/OT.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

True. It's too bad too, because if we the time, he has the tools to be a good player. He just has such dreadful technique. He is the worst waist bender I have ever seen. If he can learn to bend his knees and play with leverage he could beat out Dunlap, but that is a lot of progress to make in a short time. But he has the feet and the size to be a top OT if he could be kept around. Maybe he will get IR'ed and we can keep working with him. Probably not though.

Comment

• Screeme
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I feel kind of bad for Harris. He is exactly who the PS is intended for, but due to circumstance he gets thrust into a position he's not prepared for. I don't think he's eligible now, so instead of spending a couple of years learning, and having the team see if he can develop into a workable player, he is going to end up being one and done.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                  I feel kind of bad for Harris. He is exactly who the PS is intended for, but due to circumstance he gets thrust into a position he's not prepared for. I don't think he's eligible now, so instead of spending a couple of years learning, and having the team see if he can develop into a workable player, he is going to end up being one and done.
                  He made more money last season than he would of made sitting on the PS for years. Don't forget his 200K bump performance bonus. He made about 600k as a UDFA last season. I don't feel bad for him.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    Now when Fluker moves to Guard Harris can start again
                    You don't think Dunlap would have the inside track there?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                      You don't think Dunlap would have the inside track their?
                      'Their' are certain people that think Dunlap isn't very good.

I'm one of them
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        'Their' are certain people that think Dunlap isn't very good.

I'm one of them
                        Yeah, fixed the grammatical error quickly after typing it. I do think Dunlap is better than Harris at either tackle spot. I am just not one who think that is all that much to brag about in the first place. However, I won't be so bold to say that Fluker won't play RT initially. There will be a lot pressure on the coaches to put him there (for better or worse) so as not to make him look like a reach at #11. And it isn't like we are loaded with talent at the O-line anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X