• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What Changes Do You Want?

We sorta have a buncha threads about various things, thought maybe one thread might be a good place for the changes we think we need. For me:

1. New OC. Don't have faith in Whiz anymore, like to see Lynn hire who he wants for that.

2. A center. Draft the best one we can cuz that's the only way to get one.

3. Bring in, via FA or draft, a new starting RB. Gordon is so done.

4. I think Rivers is also done after this season, one way or the other, sad as that is. See what we have in Jones or draft/bring in a new starting QB. A Brees-like QB sounds good to me (yes, you heard that right!).

Change has already started this season, I'm expecting to see a lot more next season. Crushing how close - again! - we are in games we lose, gotta swing that the other way somehow (and I like what Lynn is saying, think it's what's needed right now and is building a foundation for the future).
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

#1 thing I want changed is the stupid mental mistakes that cost us some of these games. I'm not talking about the penalties they get for holding because that shit's gonna happen in games I'm talking about the mental mistakes such as when Travis Benjamin thought he could field a punt return and somehow get a safety because he thought he could out run the other team, or how many times have we seen Rivers get a delay of game. I can handle losing if I know my team is doing there best, I cant handle losing if they are making mental mistakes on the field.
    #2 Everyone is saying draft O-Line but personally I want them to continue to build this defense up. Make it the best defense in the NFL, hell I would argue that Ingram and Bosa are the two best DE tandems in the NFL right now, you draft an ILB that can blitz up the middle and cover Te's and running backs there would be no stopping this defense.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Would not be unhappy with a high-pick DT, yes.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Id like a legit diagnosis. The Bills run game last year was dominant. Best in the league. Obviously Taylor was a part of that. But they ran at will. Then they bring in McDermott and the run game suffers to the tune of 18th in the league. Does that suggest Lynn was a major part of the run game success in Buffalo? Ironically he comes here and we regress in the run game as well. But he says he stuck with Whiz for continuity. Im sure Lynn has had some input on the offense but i think its possible that his ideas may not be suited for our personnel.

Im not sure if he needs to stay out of Whiz's way or if Lynn needs to take over calling the O. He did pretty good when the Bills promoted him last year. The passing game was struggling and he opened things up a bit. But still they ran very well. You bring in a run oriented coach and cant run it has to be a combination of things. Obviously as mentioned the interior OL has regressed but there still seems to be no fix in sight for it. I wouldnt mind a more proactive approach from Telesco. Make a move. Do something to fix this weekly dilemma of getting crushed up the middle of the OL. Swing a deal for Incognito while hes here playing us. Deal for Taylor as well. Let him be our back up after we draft a QB.

I think at this point i might be leaning towards letting Whiz go and giving Lynn a chance to at least show us he has a clue. Then let him bring in his guy. Hes not going anywhere after one year so thats the next logical decision imo. Maybe there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
          #1 thing I want changed is the stupid mental mistakes that cost us some of these games. I'm not talking about the penalties they get for holding because that shit's gonna happen in games I'm talking about the mental mistakes such as when Travis Benjamin thought he could field a punt return and somehow get a safety because he thought he could out run the other team, or how many times have we seen Rivers get a delay of game. I can handle losing if I know my team is doing there best, I cant handle losing if they are making mental mistakes on the field.
          #2 Everyone is saying draft O-Line but personally I want them to continue to build this defense up. Make it the best defense in the NFL, hell I would argue that Ingram and Bosa are the two best DE tandems in the NFL right now, you draft an ILB that can blitz up the middle and cover Te's and running backs there would be no stopping this defense.
          We need to find help for the OL, but the idea of building the D has real merit.

As individuals, I think the OL talent is probably there. We need a C for sure, unless Feeney or Lamp moves over. I think Pulley could be OK depth at OG, but he is proving he is not a starting C. Schofield has not be great, but he is at least as good as Barksdale, without the big mistakes. The big problem with the OL seems to be that they aren't working together very well. Guys aren't passing off on combo blocks or pass protection. To me that screams coaching. We need a new OL coach, and need some better depth, but we aren't going to spend top picks on that. If we can get a C in the draft or via FA, I think we are set.

As far as D goes, we actually have more holes. Boston is not a very good FS, and the DT situation is not good. We overspent on LIuget, and while he is not awful, he is only an average player despite a top tier contract. Mebane is not bad either, but at his age, he can go at any time and is on a snap count limiting him, so we HAVE to have depth behind him. Squares is not playing as well as he did last year. Phillon is playing decently, but has had some mistakes and needs to be a lot more consistent. Palepoi just doesn't have a position on this DL.

Comment

• Jagged
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Omaha, Nebraska
            • Send PM

1. A real effort to improve the offensive line. I know there are a lot of people in the "Rivers is done" camp. I'm not one of them. This is the thing that bothers me the most about this team, they knew coming in that Rivers is a pocket passer and basically immobile. It's no secret and the opponents know it too, yet we haven't really addressed that until last year and even then it was too little. (don't ask which moves I would have made because I don't know. I just know what they've been doing isn't working.)

2. Special Teams. How is this unit bad year in and year out? We constantly lose this phase of the game and it seems like no matter who the coach is or which players are brought in, they fail miserably. I'm not a coach, but this seems like the area we would start to fix first since it's the unit that consistently chokes when the game is on the line. Eliminating the bonehead plays and decisions would go a long way to help.

3 Defense. I love the defense. I think they're a linebacker or two away from dictating the game to the opposing team. Maybe a DT too...

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

I also see the D as very close. Better up the middle is where id like to focus. DT/S and maybe even MLB if Perryman is moving to the weak side. Im not a huge fan of Emmanuel either. When he's up on the line and starts his backpedal he looks so un-athletic....but then he makes the cut outside and is so freaking slow to get there. Him in space is a huge liability imo. Id love to get a guy like Micah Kizer and move him to SAM. He plays ILB in a 34 for Virginia but hes a former TE and can move. Has good coverage skills. Hes a very solid linebacker. I think he would make a good SAM.

Maybe we can just keep spending on the OL and draft D. Since we have some good luck on that side of the ball with Telesco. Assuming Rivers comes back next year maybe we bring in a mobile guy like Tyrod to have some game packages and back up Rivers. Then in 2019 draft a QB that can move around and has a similar skillset to Rivers. Move more towards a Dallas or Titans type of offense. Titans really started getting better when they brought in Ben Jones and put him at Center. In fact i think he was moved to Center his final year in Houston but he really pulled that Titans OL together. They have drafted big time OTs however. But they have a QB that can move and an OL that can block. They would be better if Mariota would use his legs more but his injuries have sort of grounded him. Hes not a very good passer either. But that type of offense may be what we need going forward. Alex Smith type or Dak Prescott type. Good power running. But Center is a must for us.

Maybe Wesley Johnson in NY would be a nice pick up at Center for us. Lamp at LG and Feeney at RG. Upgrade the RT spot as well.

Draft

1. Christian Wilkins DT
              2. Marcus Allen FS
              3. Micah Kiser LB

Comment

• Hard Charger
                Chargers fan since 1977!
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

No one has mentioned it yet (I didn't read the whole thread), but I would really like to see a new owner! Before Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, he was trying to buy the Chargers. How would the Chargers be setting right now if JJ, bought them instead of the Spanos crew? We need a committed front office starting with new ownership! This team needs direction and a plan to build on, with coaches that can focus on the fundamentals of the game, (tackling, game management and discipline would be a nice start).

I know this is probably out of the question, but I can wish, and the question was "What changes do you want?" That IS what I want!

HC

Comment

• chris9341
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard Charger View Post
                  No one has mentioned it yet (I didn't read the whole thread), but I would really like to see a new owner! Before Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, he was trying to buy the Chargers. How would the Chargers be setting right now if JJ, bought them instead of the Spanos crew? We need a committed front office starting with new ownership! This team needs direction and a plan to build on, with coaches that can focus on the fundamentals of the game, (tackling, game management and discipline would be a nice start).

I know this is probably out of the question, but I can wish, and the question was "What changes do you want?" That IS what I want!

HC
                  I think getting new owners is on every chargers wishlist. As much as I despise Jerry Jones one thing you can't deny is he loves winning and he don't mind spending the money to do that. But I don't know if Jerry Jones was the owner of the Chargers that things would be much different. Ok as much as I hate to say it and I know im gonna get a lot of flack for this but when you constantly have more fans of the opposing team at your own stadium they were a huge reason why the chargers left San Diego. Now don't get me wrong there was some very hardcore fans of the team in San Diego but no team in any sport should be out numbered by the other teams fans in there own Stadium. Now on the flip side of that Dean Spanos imo is the worst owner in all of sports. The fact is he could'nt wait to leave San Diego for Los Angeles and thought he would be welcome with open arms, well anyone watching the games knows this is'nt true.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I think getting new owners is on every chargers wishlist. As much as I despise Jerry Jones one thing you can't deny is he loves winning and he don't mind spending the money to do that. But I don't know if Jerry Jones was the owner of the Chargers that things would be much different. Ok as much as I hate to say it and I know im gonna get a lot of flack for this but when you constantly have more fans of the opposing team at your own stadium they were a huge reason why the chargers left San Diego. Now don't get me wrong there was some very hardcore fans of the team in San Diego but no team in any sport should be out numbered by the other teams fans in there own Stadium. Now on the flip side of that Dean Spanos imo is the worst owner in all of sports. The fact is he could'nt wait to leave San Diego for Los Angeles and thought he would be welcome with open arms, well anyone watching the games knows this is'nt true.

Comment

• charger1993
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

1. Christian Wilkins dt clemson
                      2. De'shon elliot s texas
                      3.josh jackson cb iowa or if he doesnt come out mitch hyatt ot clemson
                      4.austin golshon c auburn

Comment

• chris9341
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

He knew there would be no stadium deal in downtown San Diego especially when the only votes that counted were the ones directly from the city. Which brings me to the so called leaders of San Diego. You have one of the most beatiful cities in the country but there is a lack of support from the city to support some of the teams that are in your city. If i was looking to start a franchise in basketball or Football your city would be the last one on my list.

Comment

Working...
                        X