• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTThunder
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

RB Melvin Gordon - done??

(I do not have opportunity to watch our game much...)

It looks like Gordon was not good in his rookie year, but was very good in his second. Now in his third, I kept reading on "Gordon is done, we need to draft a new RB....".

What's happening?!? (Does he have health issue?? Our OL is too bad?? ?? ??)

I recalled Telesco said that we needed to trade up to get Gordon since he was the last impact player on our board...

Go Bolts!!!
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Not done, just not "impact" and not the best fit for us.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

FWIW he has almost the exact same numbers as McCoy. I think the run game has been out of synch. Would love another quality back in mid rds. This is an interesting look at Olines.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

To me it says we are getting destroyed up the middle and yet call most of our running plays where we are least effective blocking.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Imo Gordan does need coaching but he has a great toolset. Our run blocking is pretty attrocious still. He is imo tentative at times as a result. I want him as a north south runner to hit the hole hard and I think hed get more yardage than dancing or trying to follow a blocker that just isnt there.

Outside of picking up a hard nosed north south type runner I think our biggest problem is getting a grinding center that can hold his own and probsbly RT. I hope Slausen and Lamp come back healthy as the middle has been our achilles...at least Feeney is getting good reps at LG so hopefully is getting needed improvement. Shit im thinking of putting Slausen back at center, Feeney at RG and Lamp at RG next year if we cant improve at center with an FA or top 3 center draft pick.

Comment

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  To me it says we are getting destroyed up the middle and yet call most of our running plays where we are least effective blocking.
                  It is a lot harder to block players on the perimeter than it is inside. If a D has any idea the run is coming, they will out quick the interior OL to the point of attack and the play will get blown up.

The big thing the running game has a chance at is now that we have dramatically reduced the number of negative plays. Around half our runs at the beginning of the season were for zero or negative yards. Almost 75% of our runs got us behind schedule on down and distance. We can afford to keep banging away at the running game if we are getting 1, 2 or 3 yards fairly consistently. The loss, or even no gain makes that pretty difficult.

Runners who get more than 4 ypc are generally doing it on a couple of long runs. The vast majority of their runs are no better than any other RB. In truth, they are no more consistent than most other RB. ypc is a terrible measure of consistency because of how badly skewed the distances a RB carries the ball are. It is only used because it is easy to calculate. As a meaningful statistic, it borders on useless.

Gordon has enough longer runs to be averaging well over 4 ypc, IF we can cut out the huge number of negative plays.

Ekeler is doing a good job, but he doesn't appear to be making his reads. He tends to just charge into the line. If there is any gap at all, he will get upfield quickly and get a decent gain. But that is not the kind of style that works well as a featured RB. At some point, on the zone runs you need to make your read and cut accordingly, or be patient and follow your blockers on the power runs. I still think Ekeler should focus more on being a 3rd down and change of pace guy, like Woodhead. His quick slashing style really is more effective when we run zone stuff, which we play multiple receivers (it's almost impossible to do power runs without TE and FB to fill for the pulling/leading OL). His decisiveness without the reads is more forgiving when there are fewer run defenders in the box, even if we have fewer blockers.

Gordon and Ekeler both need to be better on blitz pickups. Dallas got so hung up on slanting and stunting to crowd the run gaps, that we had some unblocked defenders on the edge in the passing game. Rivers managed them with a quick release, but we still need to do a better job of giving Rivers a clean pocket. Benjamin, WIlliams and even Henry to a degree do their best work if they have a bit of time to get separation. Allen can create his separation almost instantly, but everyone else needs time to get open.

Comment

• Classic
                    Hall Of Fame
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Send PM

Byrce Love/Reshad Penny should be drafted to replace MGIIII.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

I like Gordon, and I think he's good, but will never be great.

I have mentioned this many times, but I will bring it up again.

When he goes through the line, he has to lead the league in being "tripped up". (Probably not, but I watch the chargers the most, and it sure seems like it happens alot)
                      He goes down easy at the LOS.

If he gets through the initial line, he does a good job of taking on Linebackers/secondary players and running them over or around them (on the outside)

And the other thing that bothers me, is he doesn't win "1 on 1's" very often, when he's through the initial defense, and it's just him and 1 guy (usually a safety). Think of LT (and I know, LT is an alltime great), but if he broke free 1 on 1 vs a safety, there was a good chance he could make him miss, or straight arm him, and go the distance.

Gordon just doesn't do that... 1 on 1 past the arms and legs of the front 7, he gets tackled.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Not done. Just a bad fit in this offense
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀