• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Adrian Phillips

With Phillips playing a major role on defense, it has been playing well. He played all but a handful of snaps in the last game. The last 8 opponents haven't had very potent offenses, except for the Pats' pass offense, and in the remaining 4 games, the opposing offenses aren't very potent either. It will be interesting to see how the opposing offenses try to move the ball against us, by running or passing.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Phillips continuing to be a key player/producer for us, because I just don't think he's a very good player. He bounced around the last few years between the practice squad and active roster as an undrafted player, playing sparingly until this year.

Could Bradley have found something in Phillips that is sustainable for the long term success of the D? I'm very curious to see how the D responds, especially Phillips, playing against a top O in the playoffs on the road.

After how well Jatavis played last year, I was hoping that he would be a big contributor this year, but his role on D has diminished to playing only a handful of snaps lately.

Is Phillips just a polished turd or is he the real deal?
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Hes actually leapfrogged Jatavis at LB in 3+ wide coverage. Even Addae is lining up at LB. I think Bradley is finding ways to maximize talent and that involves moving guys into spots they wouldn't typically be playing. Im worried about losing Gus next year.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

What is the difference between a polished turd and a real deal? It is the polishing that is the key.

Many defenses expect their S to line up deep and play deep S. There are not many players who are good at that. Addae and Phillips are being played up close to the line. It is an easier position to play, at least in the sense more guys have those skills. But they still have to play it well, and they are both playing really well.

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

He's a keeper.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Hes actually leapfrogged Jatavis at LB in 3+ wide coverage. Even Addae is lining up at LB. I think Bradley is finding ways to maximize talent and that involves moving guys into spots they wouldn't typically be playing. Im worried about losing Gus next year.
          Same here. I hope Gus sticks around for a few seasons.

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• vinabolt
            Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
            • Feb 2015
            • Send PM

With how the defense playing great this year and if we make some noise in the playoff, I think Bradley will get his second chance next year, or at least one of the hottest candidates. This is basically the same defense, same players from last year that he has turned into a dominating unit, suddenly all-pro players all over the place.

We might as well do some research around for his replacement, lol. I prefer someone from Pete Carroll coaching tree, so we can continue with his system. Maybe we can steal some guys from SEA or ATL.
            Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

And not a single Fire Bradley post this year.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                And not a single Fire Bradley post this year.
                That's because he is the first good D coordinator this team has had in a long time.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Bolt-O commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And we beat one of our old mediocre DC's today.
              • Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Phillips was a guy who was always around the ball. He wasn't great but you could see potential there. His "new" position takes advantage of his strengths.

The secondary is very good.
                Hayward is very good, Williams is as good of a #2 cb around, and King has been a revelation.

Addae's improvement, and Boston is better than Lowery.

Very good coverage unit, paired with an excellent pass rush.

Bradley can not get enough credit.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  not sure teams are lined up for him. As well as he is coaching our d as a co ordination, the team he was fired from and could never turn the corner with, appears to have turned the corner as soon as he left.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Another great find by our scouts.
                    I'm not sure how it is with other teams, but we sure get a lot of production from UDFA's.

Comment

• whookimane
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I dont think Adrian Phillips is the real deal but I think the system Gus Bradley is running is the real deal. I too was hoping for Jatavis Brown to become our sideline to sideline Bobby Wagner type after his great rookie year. He has turned into Attaochu, a guy that looked really good early and suddenly no longer got snaps on the field and nobody is quite sure why. I was baffled when hayes pullard was claimed off waivers and immediately was playing more than jatavis, that was the first sign i suppose. Now they go with adrian phillips over him, i just dont understand considering jatavis's skill set is perfect for this defense

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Panamamike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wasn’t baffled. Pullard played for Gus in Jazz and knows the D and can make the calls on D. Brown is young, and in a new system. Getting guys lined up and making adjustments in a different scheme is not easy.
                    Working...
                    X