• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madcaplaughs
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

linebacker play

Curious about the thoughts of our more defensive minded community on the linebackers. It seems like no coincidence that we're playing better since Perryman came back. He shows up in the stat box. Since I seldom get to catch a whole game, I'd like some insight if possible. Thanks! - John
  • whookimane
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Perryman's physicality has greatly improved the run defense as our other lbs on the roster are more speed/finesse type of players. We should rename this thread linebacker* (singular) play as we have been playing with Perryman as the only linebacker on the field for the majority of the snaps. We have basically turned Adrian Philips into a linebacker and have been able to get away with this not hurting us against the run which says a lot about our fronts play of late as well.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Perryman is a downhill thumper who has helped to shore up the inside run D. The other LB need some work. Mostly though, we just play our dime package and King, Addae and Phillips are good enough vs the run and pass that our D is hard to move the ball against. Having 3 S sized players in the box makes us too fast to run wide against, and our DL and Perryman can stuff the inside run gaps.

The only thing I don't like about the D lately is they have stopped stunting as much lately. Early in the season, the extra stunting and slanting DL really opened up rush lanes on the pass rush, and we got a lot of sacks because of it. Lately, the rush is more about keeping the QB in the pocket and having Bosa and Ingram just pressure the QB into bad throws. As the int totals show, it has been working.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Panamamike commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps because we have had quite a few athletic QBs and they played more straight up to help vs the qb run?

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        True. But even without stunts we are still getting pressure on the QB and in each of the games, Bosa and Ingram have forced bad throws in key situations, even if they are not getting sacks like they did.
    • Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Perryman's return has been huge.

Also, just throwing this out there...the tackling from Desmond King and Trevor Williams has also been very good. They have been getting off blocks, and getting tackles.

No worries about Addae and Phillips... although maybe I should be with Kelsey in this game...and also Hunt out of the backfield. LOL. KC has alot of weapons, the Bolts have to own the line of scrimmage.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

I think Bradley just tries to stabilize the run. Stunts too much tend make the front vulnerable against the run, which a lot of Wade Phillips defenses tend to have, including his current Rams, especially earlier in the season.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I am glad you wrote this, Steve. I have noticed that the Bolts have been making adjustments to play the run better with the front 4. It means fewer splash plays/sacks but it has really tightened things up against the run. The Bolts still do run a fair amount of line stunts/games and some are designed to stop the run. Bosa has made a few nice stuffs in the backfield against the run on stunts.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

DEFENSE (Based on 50 snaps)

Line: Melvin Ingram 36, Joey Bosa 36, Darius Philon 31, Corey Liuget 26, Brandon Mebane 25, Chris McCain 18, Tenny Palepoi 14, Damion Square 13.

Linebacker: Denzel Perryman 39, Kyle Emanuel 7, Hayes Pullard 7, Jatavis Brown 5.

Secondary: Tre Boston 50, Trevor Williams 50, Jahleel Addae 49, Casey Hayward 49, Desmond King 43, Adrian Phillips 43, Rayshawn Jenkins 8, Michael Davis 1.

Defensive analysis: The Chargers held the Redskins to 201 total yards. That is the best mark for the Bolts defense since Oct. 5, 2014 against the Jets (151 yards). ... The Chargers have recorded 11 interceptions in their past five games and have registered at least one pick in eight of their past nine games. ... The Chargers have held their last three opponents to under 300 yards of total offense. That mark is their best since Weeks 8-10 of 2012.
            The LBs were MIA.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
            X