• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwynning_Spirit
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Hopefully we're around too long, and the Pats and a few others get bounced earlier.

New HC Patricia, re-runs: McDaniels, and maybe that scumbo Schwartz, or Dennis Allen. Wasn't Bisaccia a hot name for a while too?

Comment

• whookimane
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

I hope to god Bradley does not get a second shot

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Belichick got a 2nd shot, but only after he had been an assistant for SEVERAL years.

Usually that's the way it works. Whiz is kind of the exception to the rule. Usually they don't get a HC job one year later... they have to put some more time in.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• vinabolt
          vinabolt commented
          Editing a comment
          It took so long for BB to get his 2nd chance was because he was one of the most hated coaches at the time. CLE fans hate him, especially after he bench and get rid of Kosar like a piece of trash, lol. CLE owner and management hated him. Some players hated him, since he was then just a great X&O guy and was young and aggogant. He didn't have the age, experience and accomplishments yet. At the time he just had a "genius" label due to some great gameplans for NYG. And owners are hesitate to bring an aggorant "genius" into their team who demand things to run his way, with that age. Fans, management, media hate him. Ownerships not sure if they can work with him.

So it's different. Gus is one of the nicest guys there is and easy to work with.
      • Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I read that he's only on a one year contract .Don't be cheap...extend him now!

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

BB got knocked for a long time because of the way he got rid of Kosar. Kosar was like a god in Cleveeland at the time, and BB got rid of him while he was still sorta able to play. HE also had zero ability to deal with the press, and that was considered a huge negative.

As far as the genius label and the game planning, that is true of so many young coaches. So many NFL HC are coordinators, and that description can be used on many of them.

I don't think Gus is going to get too much attention. Our D is good, but while he gets some credit for getting more out of them than last year, we still were ranked very low vs the run, and he inherited so many of his key pieces, like Bosa and Ingram. Former HC types don't often rehabilitate that quickly, especially when their former teams play so well without them.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
            Belichick got a 2nd shot, but only after he had been an assistant for SEVERAL years.

Usually that's the way it works. Whiz is kind of the exception to the rule. Usually they don't get a HC job one year later... they have to put some more time in.
            Shanahan, Carroll and most others that flame out in their 1st HC job usually rebuild their rep as a quality NFL coordinator (or take a college HC gig) for a couple before they get back in the "hot HC candidates" rotation again. All the teams that recently chose young guys on multiyear deals (Denver may be exception) aren't in the hunt and means fewer HC openings for guys like Bradley.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I'm really glad he is our DC, but let's also be realistic here - it's not like our defense is the 85 Bears or anything. We aren't even in the top 10 defensive rankings in the league. I like the direction we are going and with a few more pieces we could be a top 5 defense, but we aren't there yet. I think he is back next year.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Panamamike commented
                Editing a comment
                I think we are 3rd in scoring defense and I think we lead the league in takeaways since week 5. Also have done a much better job on 3rd down this year. All in all I am pretty happy with the D.
            • Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

One think I really like is that he didn't outright claim the Jaguar's current success, as did Fisher did with the Rams, somewhat. The Jags only need a reliable and consistent QB, but they added Campbell and Fournette which looks like pushed them into a competitive team. I'm a little worried that he may leave, as there might be as many as 9 HC firings coming up, but he could also get a better offer as a DC as well.

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

At this point, Bradley will likely wait to see if teams come calling to interview him for a head coach shot again, rather than re-sign here as DC. We better not lose him to another team as DC, as that would look terrible. But, wouldn't be shocking.

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

Should Gus Bradley get another shot? No, what Doug Marrone has done with the Jags should have buried him for good.

Will Gus Bradley get another shot? Considering there are team like Cleveland that use the advice of street bums to draft players, I would be too shocked if he got another team to run into the ground.

If he doesn't get a head coaching job (which would be an absolute shock if he doesn't), the Chargers need to pay him like one. Right now, he is the sole reason Anthony Lynn looks good, and I wouldn't be surprised if this team turned to lead if he leaves.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Lightnin'
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Bradley may get another HC gig.

But-there's always the "hot" OC's and occasional NCAA prospect to jump
                      ahead of him.

With the results he's gotten after one season with us, I'm sure he's caught someones
                      eye; but-as poorly as J-ville played during his years there, he'll have to wait and continue
                      to deliver for us before another opportunity is given him.
                      San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

Working...
                      X