• Show
Clear All
  • pigskin
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Southern Oregon
    • Send PM

Trick Plays

Something that hasn't been brought up is the trick plays we ran against Washington. (Double reverse, flee flicker) Now I'm not a big fan of trick plays, and I don't expect to see any Saturday night, it does give KC one more thing to think about and take time to prepare for.
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Why not trick plays? It's fun, exciting and unpredictable, keep the defense on their heels.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Next week, fumblerooski.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

What I like about it is for the first time since the Marty-Cam-Wade years (and the fumblerooski) the Chargers look like they are really, truly having fun. I credit Lynn for that.

The threat of a Flea flicker can help freeze the safeties a bit as they think, which is nice if, IF, Gordon ever breaks the first line of defenders. I do really like the jet sweeps and reverses and hope to see a lot more of that. It keeps the DE/OLB honest and it maximizes the talents of Benjamin. Again, should benefit Gordon if he can get a crack and make it through the crack.

Henry's blocking has been outstanding lately, by the way. This is the most complete TE in the NFL right now. Check him out on run plays.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• UtahBolt
        Did we win?
        • Jun 2013
        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        What I like about it is for the first time since the Marty-Cam-Wade years (and the fumblerooski) the Chargers look like they are really, truly having fun. I credit Lynn for that.
        TG
        Interesting point as I have noticed this team seems to be closer on a personal level then any team we have had in a while as well. The body language for many is that of not just team mates but of brothers in arms. I am sure that the adversity has had an effect on them individually and kudos to Lynn for making sure that effect as a positive one. Even more impressive after the 0-4 start.

I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
          Why not trick plays? It's fun, exciting and unpredictable, keep the defense on their heels.
          They can also blow up in your face.

Once a team (either team) calls a trick play, it (usually) prevents the other team from doing anything after that. So, the trick is being first. But if you do it too early in the game, the defense is still playing assignments close to the vest. So it is a the big trick.

And is the other team thinks you are only going to run it once..... the 2nd one is even more effective.

The key is just getting a team to over-pursuit, or react too quick to the run and leaves their coverage. Washington had their run defenders over-pursue on the reverse and the FS was late coming over from in the middle of the field at all so Norman was completely out of place when he was caught peaking vs the run action.

They also got caught completely out of place on the play action fake. The fake got the FS to come up, so Norman was caught in his outside technique while Williams just broke the post a bit shallow, giving a ton of room for Rivers to put the ball up. There was no way that the Redskins could have defended that pass once the FS was out of place. The offense is just firing on all cylinders. Tyrell Williams ran a very nice route, even if it was poorly defended.

Comment

• vinabolt
            vinabolt commented
            Editing a comment
            Any play can blow up in your face. The key is to practice the play enough to execute it successfully. To be frank I'm surprise that pro teams don't do more trick plays. It's like they treat it as a kid thing, a college play.

Most of the time, the trick play don't work not because the other team anticipate it, mostly the execute teams are sloppy in their execution and mess up the play. Pro teams spend too little time practice it, they spend most of the time practice common stuff, so they're hesitate to try it in the game. When they try it, it usually mess up.
        • bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Next week, fumblerooski.

Hell yeah, throw in a hook and lateral..........Rivers to Henry.....lateral to Benjamin
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

Trick plays can blow up in your face, but I'm a fan.

Certainly not something to base your offense on, but it's nice to "sprinkle" one in every game or so.

My SDSU Jackrabbits usually run about 1 "gadget" play a game. And never the same play...always something different. Last week, ran an "end around" to our all everything WR, who broke it for a 49 yard TD.

One time this year, they ran a "reverse" to the Tight End, who took and inside handoff from the running back, and then he had a pitch "option" to the QB.
            It was awesome. (of course you need a pretty elite TE to run such a play).
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• vinabolt
              vinabolt commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah the key is the unpredictability of it and keep the defense on edges. I don't buy that you don't do it because it can blow up in your face. Any play can messes up if didn't practice and work on it properly and execute it properly on the field.
          Working...
          X