• Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

2018 Free Agency

Over the cap - Cap space - $23.7 million

Wiggins - about $4 million per year (based on similar players FA value, doesn't reflect inflation)
    Boston - about $6 million per year (based on similar players FA value, doesn't reflect inflation)

We can probably get a bit of a discount if we can get in the ball park and then give some additional bonus money, players will trade more upfront and guaranteed money in place of actual contract value.

Signing them would leave about $13.7 million

about $5 to 6 million needs to be saved to sign rookies and injury replacements next season. Leaves about $7 million.

Of our RFA - there are a couple we need to tender to make sure they don't get poached.
    1st round - $4,152,000
    2nd round - $2,916,000
    Original round/right of first refusal - $1,908,000

T. WIlliams, McCain, and Phillips all need to be given 1st or 2nd round tenders. As UDFA they cannot be tendered at the original round, so if we want them back, we need to spend more to protect them. We could do the right of first refusal thing, but then a team can just structure the deal so we don't have the cap space to match. IMHO, that is not help for these three.

T. Williams is one of the most productive WR in the NFL the last 2 season and is therefore super cheap coming off an undrafted rookie contract. At a minimum, I think a 2nd round tender, probably 1st.

McCain is a pass rusher, and that is always an expensive proposition. Every team in the NFL needs more pass rushers. Again 2nd round minimum. Those two alone eat almost $6 mill of the $7 mill we have left. Phillips is the key cog in our D. We can't afford more, so $1,908,000 uses up about all the cap space we have, and that is being pretty optimistic.

When he started playing last season, we started winning and getting turnovers. He is not an elite athlete and while he is a horrible FS, he was really good in the dime DB spot. Given we have some wiggle room above, it would allow us to free up some space and fit them all in. But it means no salary cap space for UFA. No external bodies. No Gates returning. Probably no Schofield as well.

So, if we want to sign additional RFA or UFA like Toomer ($1,797,000 last year), or anyone from another team we would need.

In order to do that we would need to free up some cap space.
    Corey Liuget - Post June 1st cut - $1,500,000 dead money this year (and next) and savings of $8,000,000 this season (and $8,750,000 next year and $9,500,000 the next two year after).
    Mebane - $1,000,000 dead space, and $4,500,000 space free
    Square - $612k dead, $2,000,000 free
    Chris Hairston - $1,525,000 free

All of them together would be about $16 mill free space. $12.5 million is from Liuget and Mebane. It might hurt that we would love both starting DT, and our most experienced backup DT. Also our experienced OT/OG in Hairston. The other thing it would help for is trying to get a start on all the players who will be FA next season.

The other thing to think of is that we have a long list of expensive FA next season, including both starting CB and Verrett. The point being, more space now might make sense in terms of starting to sign extensions now rather than wait.

Thoughts?

• Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Its nice to feel like we can finally build off a solid foundation. Im stoked that Rivers seems to be inspired. I truly love his passion for the game. Doesn't mean his predecessor isn't drafted this year....i dont think we go that direction yet...but i love Rivers quote here. Nobody can say we suck. People have to take notice of this team. We have a lot of good pieces in place.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 6.30.09 PM.png

Comment

• Attack
      Attack commented
      Editing a comment
      To maximize the pass rush, the Giants would move Justin Tuck inside to a 3 technique. Would using Bosa the same way as Tuck, and if Hurst were our pick and using him on the interior too, and Melvin and McCain on the outside be our best pass rush line?

I am not confident that McCain will be as productive next year as he was last year in the first half of the season, as I've said before. He dropped off dramatically in the second half of the season. I would also like to see a pass rusher added as depth this offseason, unless Rochelle can be that guy.

Building up the two lines will always give us a chance to stay in games.

• Fleet
      Fleet commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking at Shady McCoys numbers this year they were almost identical with Gordons. But it was a big drop off from the year prior as far as YPC. He produced more yards with much less carries in 2016. I think Gordon.....like McCoy could benefit from a strong backup. McCoy was more effective with Mike Gillislee spelling him. He also wad a pretty high YPC. Went to the Pats and struggled to pick up the offense. I would not be shocked if the Pats try to move him or even take the 2M dead hit. He is a guy that is familiar with Lynn. Has already shown he is a good back up to McCoy. I know he didnt kill it in NE this year and has been a healthy scratch for weeks now....but that isnt necessarily a talent issue. I think its a scheme IQ issue.

Mike Gillislee backing up Gordon is an upgrade to what we have IMO. Id probably still draft a guy but it allows me to wait to the back of the draft and get value if a guy falls.

• chargerkdb
      chargerkdb commented
      Editing a comment
      Whether FA or later in draft we need someone to add to backfield rotation
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

There's too much money for too little production at DT. Because there is such great depth at DT in the draft, I expect that Liuget will get cut, Philon promoted to starter and another 3 tech to get taken in the first two rounds.

Can we afford to draft a NT and let Mebane go instead? I can't see them cutting both Mebane and Liuget in the same year. I'd love to have a big young stud NT like Vea, but I'd rather have a pass rushing 3 tech. Philon and Hurst on the field at the same time? I could see it.

Do we want to draft a RT (Brown) in the first and let Barksdale go? I can't see it. If it was a guy with LT skills I could see it, but not a RT. I personally don't see the value in run first RTs anymore.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The thing with Brown is that he seems like he would be a great RT prospect, a huge guy who is a powerful run blocker. But he isn't. He is more of a LT type, who is much better in pass protector than a run blocker. He can destroy anyone right over him, but he can't go out and get anyone. overall, he is a weak run blocker. He needs a lot of work. I can't see getting rid of Barksdale and starting Brown. Maybe draft him and in a year or two. Brown just needs a lot of work as a run blocker. Someone like Connor or McGlinchey might work, but I don't see them lasting till our 1st pick. THey are the top 2 OT prospects, and even developmental guys might not last.

Payne and Vitea could get a lot of cleanup sacks on early passing downs. In the 4 man front, one of the DT is not a penetrating player, but someone who plays the draw and screens. In the classic 43 D, you alternate between the 2 DT. IN the over/under shifted 43 with a NT, the NT does the double team, screen and draw letting the under DT (UT or 3 tech ) play the penetrating DT spot. They are the type of players who can usually be expected to fall to somewhere around 17. Players like Tim Settle (VT), Nnadi (FSU), BJ Hill (NC State), Justin Jones (NC State) or Phillips (Standford) can be had sometime later (although maybe before we pick again).

Phillon will get to play a lot more downs, I just don't see him being a top-notch starter. His production is better, but we still need another DT to play that spot. If we get rid of Liuget, I still see adding a 3 technique. Hurst is probably not going to last till our pick. He is about the same size as Aaron Donald, although Hurst plays with more leverage. Taven Bryan (FL), Green (USC) or Kentavius Street (NC State) are some of the other guys who play 3 tech.

In short, we don't necessarily have to use the 1st pick on a DT. I would make a lot of sense, but cutting 2 experienced but underachieving players is a bit of a gamble, but not a huge problem. We just have to start getting more production given the fact that our DE draw so much attention. DT is holding the D back. The fact that it frees up cap space is just icing on the cake.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

How about using the savings from letting Liuget go and sign Bennie Logan...him and Philon would be a good start
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          How about using the savings from letting Liuget go and sign Bennie Logan...him and Philon would be a good start
          Depending on what he wants, it could be a good idea. Let Membane and Liuget go, draft a 3 tech and sign a younger NT while getting cheaper at he position?
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Logan cost KC $8 mill last year. Back in his early days with the Eagles, he was much more productive than in KC. The catch was the Eagles knew they had to play Fletcher Cox, so they were unwilling to give Logan a big contract and let him go to KC for $8 mill. KC really is one of those classic 34 teams that askes their NT to do a lot more dirty work. All teams do it to a degree, but KC more than most. After a down year in KC, we should be able to get him cheaper than last year, and he has been productive in both the 34 and 43 before.

If we signed Logan, I might still draft a NT, just much later in the draft.

Comment

• CTrout
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

There are 2 guys I think we could bring in who wouldn't break the bank and be improvements over what we have. One is Beau Allen from the Eagles. He's a high energy, bit of an overachiever. I'm not sure if anyone remembers when we played them early last year but he was a real pain in the ass that day. With all the $$ Philly has tied up in their Dline I doubt they'll be able to bring him back.
              The other is DeQuan Jones from the Titans, mostly a run stuffer but has slowly improved his pass rush.
              Imo Liuget and Mebane are both on the downside of their careers while Allen and Jones are both still improving.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Titans DaQuan Jones is another guy worth looking at, I think he is coming off a biceps injury but prior to that he played well
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Seems we have other, way cheaper options on the DL, make it happen TT.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

In that Interior D Linemen seem to take a while to develop, unless you are a freak like Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald... I would be down with spending some FA $ on that position.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Merged

Comment

Working...
                      X