• Send PM

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The issue I have with that is that while everyone else was trying and playing hard, WIlkerson wasn't. His stats weren't awful, especially compared to our D, but they were way off his career. He also showed up late to meetings and was just generally not all that cooperative with Bowles. If Wilkerson had been the good solider and not been a dick (missing/late to meetings the last 2 years), then you could understand it. But he doesn't come off all that great the way it turned out. Plus for $17 million per season, I think an NFL team has the right to expect you to show up and play hard.

Some of it is the scheme. In the 34 that Bowles plays, the DL are usually taking on blockers so that the blitzing LB can come in clean. They are one on one, so to some degree, they aren't totally out of position to make a play, but their first responsibility is to make sure the OL is out of position to pick up the blitz or other game/stunt bringing the pressure.

Wilkerson was at his best for the jets moving around and getting mismatches. He is fast enough to play DE with the size, quickness and power to play inside. For us he would be ,mostly, but not exclusively a 3 technique DT. Ingram and Bosa getting shifted around so much, he just adds to the potential flexibility. Also, with Phillon showing some promise, Wilkerson could be shifted to spell Bosa at DE on early downs, and then lining up with Phillon later in the series with Bosa back at DE.

The biggest issue will be price. Even a 1-year flyer deal could get pricy. Often guys play for half of what they made, and half of his Jets salary would be over $8 million. Even if he agreed to playing for less, would his "motivation" be an issue?

The potential that he brings is so high that I think you have to consider it, even if ultimately the decision is no.
      Last edited by Steve; 02-24-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

As always, the market for OL is thin and expensive.

Offensive linemen coming off injury

This could be extended to "offensive linemen with any starting experience." A year after Matt Kalil signed for $55 million with Carolina and Rick Wagner picked up $47.5 million from Detroit, the free-agent market on the offensive line figures to offer even fewer bargains.

A host of talented players coming off serious injuries could get signed as if they don't have durability concerns. The list includes Giants guard Justin Pugh, Colts guard Jack Mewhortand Giants center Weston Richburg. All three have potential to shore up interior lines, but I suspect there won't be any discounts despite their injury-plagued 2017 seasons. The O-line shortage is reaching epidemic proportions and teams simply aren't allowing quality, healthy young players to hit the market. Free agency is a time for risk-taking, even though history says most of the high-risk bets don't pay off.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I was looking at the Eagles on overthecap.com and they are cap strapped bad. Not a lot of contracts they can cut without bid dead money. I think the biggest contract they can shed is Jay Ajayi at 1.9 million. It looks like they will have to restructure a contract it three to get the wiggle room they need. They can trade Foles and may have to to get his 7 mill off the books.

I'd love to see MGIII and Jay Ajayi as a one two tandum and that would give us a sick running game.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Jordan Hicks could be another cap target will save annother 2mm Darby can save them 1mm they still need to clear allot of space even if the traded Foles and cut Ajayi, Hicks, and Darby.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              I was looking at the Eagles on overthecap.com and they are cap strapped bad. Not a lot of contracts they can cut without bid dead money. I think the biggest contract they can shed is Jay Ajayi at 1.9 million. It looks like they will have to restructure a contract it three to get the wiggle room they need. They can trade Foles and may have to to get his 7 mill off the books.

I'd love to see MGIII and Jay Ajayi as a one two tandum and that would give us a sick running game.
              They can have dead money. That is money that still counts against the cap, but that is OK as long as they clear more space up. At Over the cap the thing that hurts is they have a lot of people with salaries listed in the " ( ) ". Anyone in those means they cost more money to release than they save. Fletcher Cox, Zach Ertz, McCloud, Wentz, Jerrigan, Jeffries, Barnett and Jones all cost more to release (vs this years cap) than keeping them.

Notice you can toggle the pre or post June 1st cuts. If you wait longer (or use the designation) you can cut a player later in the year and spread dead money over 2 years. You are allowed 2 players designated with the post June 1st cuts at the start of the FA period, so they don't have to wait. But the others you have to wait or so that would mean so many FA or trades could already have occured before a team like Philly has any cap space.

Dead Money doesn't prevent teams from doing things, it just shows how inefficient your cap space is being used. It also doesn't reflect the fact that not only did you cut someone who you are (effectively) still on your books, but the cost of replacing them with a new body.

The other thing that cap space doesn't count is that you need a million or two in reserve of you don't have any cap space to sign guys off the street when players get hurt, and money to sign draft picks. That amounts to $4 million to $6 million sign. So teams like the Ravens, Cowboys and Steelers don't have to do anything immediately, but they need to clear up space just to conduct normal business and have no room for FA, although maybe they can clear up enough later.

Dolphins and Eagles have a lot of work to do because they need to be under the cap by Monday at (4 pm Eastern). Jason Peters will get them a big chunk of the way to getting under the cap as a post June 1st cut ($7,000,000). Brent Celek is another guy they don't use much, so he could save $4,000,000 and get them under in 2 moves, without cutting anyone who did much of anything to help them win the SB. It is the cuts that come after that which will hurt more.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Brent Celek,Jason Peters and Vinny Curry. Could save some cap if they get moved/released
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Thanks Steve, but will they not want to resign some of their own players as well as money for free agency signings and draft picks/reserves for injury replacements?
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

That's up to them. Like I said, they can get under the cap, but will probably need to start making some tough decisions after that. Celek and Peters are easy, and while that gets them a big chunk of space, it only gets them to just under the cap, not enough room to operate, let along sign FA. As far as signing FA, they would need to clear a whole bunch of room, which would probably create more problems than it fixes. I don't think they are going to be able to sign FA at all.

Foles is really the only other player that frees up a ton of space for Philly.

Curry does save them a lot of cap space, but since he is a pass rusher, you have to wonder how much money you really save. There are some cheaper options on their roster, but they are older players who are less productive. Barnett is young, but he is still developing, even though he is a 1st round pick. Bennett is a useful guy, but is 32. Chris Long is on the downside of his career, but is very cheap for a pass rusher. Brandon Graham would save the most ($7 million), but is still a very good rusher. Remember, Philly knows they need to bring their pass rushers in waves, because 2 starters are not enough to consistently get pressure on the QB.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I wonder if the Sherman deal was a basis for this deal. I'll wager Haywards deal is better...

Great job now get Boston!
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Chargers cornerback Casey Hayward
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X