• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

OT: Ref beheaded in Brazil...

Imagine if NFL ref's had to worry about this? I would probably be carrying a shiv if this was the risk I was taking dealing with the crowds! :laugh:

Referee beheaded after killing player
    July 6, 2013
    RECOMMEND9KTWEET459EMAILPRINT
    By ESPN staff
    An amateur football match in Brazil led to two deaths as a referee was beheaded by spectators after he had stabbed a player.

The shocking incidents occurred in Maranhao, Brazil, last Sunday. According to reports, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva fatally stabbed footballer Josenir dos Santos Abreu.

Dos Santos Abreu is believed to have struck the referee after questioning a decision. In retaliation, Jordao da Silva stabbed the player.

Having witnessed the incident, an outraged group of spectators turned on the referee. He was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch.

One man, Luiz Moraes de Souza, 27, has been arrested over the incident. Police are searching for two more suspects.

Valter Costa is handling the case and, in a statement, he said: "One crime never justifies another crime. Actions likes this do not collaborate with the legality of state law."
  • pumpkinhead80

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    Imagine if NFL ref's had to worry about this? I would probably be carrying a shiv if this was the risk I was taking dealing with the crowds! :laugh:
    i saw that crud this morning, that is something else. some scene. terrifying and horrific. guess he got what was coming to him, but ya. pretty bad.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Soccer fans... imagine what will happen in next year's World Cup if Brazil loses a game...

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

i think you guys are missing the fact that the ref murdered a player on the field with a knife, and a big part of the mob who tore him to pieces were the players family and friends who watched on in horror as the little fuck did this.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by pumpkinhead80 View Post
          i think you guys are missing the fact that the ref murdered a player on the field with a knife, and a big part of the mob who tore him to pieces were the players family and friends who watched on in horror as the little fuck did this.
          Don't think anyone missed that fact that he killed a guy on the pitch (with a concealed shank no less). I do find it a bit much to lynch and behead the guy putting his head on a pike. It's a fucked up situation all around that sounds like it's out of Game of Thrones.

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

well for instance you made the point that what if an nfl ref had to worry about this? and the other poster mentioned what would they do if they lost the cup coming up? both went right over the fact that the ref murdered a player on the field in front of his friends and family.

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

can we all admit the only reason soccer is popular is because it's the cheapest and easiest sport in the world to play? so as a result is played by the most people? who somehow connect the numbers of participants/viewers/people who know how to play it to it's validity as a good game?

bud is the best beer obviously because it's the best selling, obviously there is a correlation. people drink it all over the world. it has to be by far the best. numbers don't lie...

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

can we all admit the only reason soccer is popular is because it's the cheapest and easiest sport in the world to play? so as a result is played by the most people? who somehow connect the numbers of participants/viewers/people who know how to play it to it's validity as a good game?

bud is the best beer obviously because it's the best selling, obviously there is a correlation. people drink it all over the world. it has to be by far the best. numbers don't lie...
                Stop derailing. Silly point as well.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I read that... and didn't miss it. The player didn't have cause to punch the ref either. Sad, but that culture in Brazil riots over a raise in bus fares.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

well for instance you made the point that what if an nfl ref had to worry about this? and the other poster mentioned what would they do if they lost the cup coming up? both went right over the fact that the ref murdered a player on the field in front of his friends and family.
                    Well my question was "what if an NFL ref had to worry about this." Obviously we don't live in Brazil and there is actual security at NFL games. Not to mention most NFL refs are old and would get murdered by players if they pulled a knife.

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

fans here are rabid, we have a lot of protection when it comes to players and the refs though. all the security getting in, all the security in the stands and on the field. just don't think they put as much effort out in countries like that.

the rioting in brazil is over government corruption, ever increasing taxes and fees, etc.

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

people fight in the stands at almost every game, in the parking lots, bars. we're not above these primal idiotic tribal behaviors

Comment

Working...
                        X