• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Some Seem To Think Tre Boston Is Resigning

Based on this tweet and insta post. I dont know what to think. But up until these posts he was pretty vocal about not knowing where he would be this year. Its interesting. And something to think about during a slow period.

"Dont Panic!! Aint Nothing Changed" are probably whats coming off as a tease to fans.

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

This is great news if true and if so it's likely TT'S biggest fan move this year and opens up the top of the draft to catch a falling BPA.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

I think he was a good addition last year. Not perfect but for a first year starting in the new system he has room for growth.

i know his reason for coming to the Chargers for Boston was a God thing. Something tells me he didnt listen and leap based on a 1 year plan. I think he is going to stay around to see where his belief takes him for a few more years.

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I'm not sold he can repeat and I dont know if the expected 5mil a year for 3+ years is a good move. Not sold on Boston after one solid year.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The $5 mill a season is based on other S with similar production (int, tackles). Teams will also knock guys salaries down some based on the players weaknesses, which for Boston are a couple of dropped int, and slow to come up in run support, and some missed tackles.

From Boston's point of view, I can see a team paying him somewhat less, but getting close to $5 mill per season. He needs to decide if that is in his best interest. He really benefitted from the fact that we don't ask our S to do too much. Our FS basically sits back in the middle of the field and plays the ball. He isn't asked to play a lot of man to man, or to rotate up and be an extra run support player. Most teams do what we did with Pagano and they ask S to do the whole gambit of assignments. Unless they are exceptional players, it tends to make them jack of all trades, master of none, and they aren't too productive (hesitant). Boston has to decide if he wants to stay with us, or move on and chase the money. IT is a business, but is it better to find a good fit and be there for a longer time, or take a big payout and risk not even seeing the end of the deal?

I would be inclined to offer a bigger bonus rather than push the total value up too much. That gives Boston the knowledge he is wanted, but without taking the pressure off him to perform. Also, I wouldn't make it too long a deal, since that pushes the overall amount up, and that makes the salary cap trickier.

His leverage is that the only other S that we have that has shown anything as a FS is Addae, and he is better suited to be up in the box. Jenkins has played mostly in the box with us, and Phillips is definitely better in the box (he was awful as a FS with Pagano). There is just generally a lack of FS who can play well deep.
          Last edited by Steve; 03-12-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• Rugger05
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Can't blame him... he wants his money.. go get it!

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Speaking of Free Safeties. Good to see Weddle trolling MW. I hope we put up 500 yards on that dooshbag.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-free-agent/

Tre BostonPFT Top 100 Free Agent list, four are safeties, including him, Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid and Tyvon Branch.

While Tyrann Mathieu got a decent one-year deal for the Texans, the three-year deals for Kurt Coleman in New Orleans and Morgan BurnettEarl Thomas

Comment

Working...
                  X