Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

ESPN article on fixing the Red Zone Offense

I think media types go way overboard on the scoring TD vs FG, but the fact is we were bad in both areas. Good teams score EVERY time they get in the red zone and score more TD than FG. We just need to focus on getting better to get more leads and get them more quickly. Our D is really spent to defend a lead. Not many offenses that can hold up to a steady diet of Ingram and Bosa and throw against our Dime D. We had more int and passes defended than any other D. That is the easiest way to cover up for a bad run D, and give us more opportunities to run the ball ourselves.

Also a good reason to sign Virgil Green
    Expect the Chargers to add add another playmaker or two on offense through the draft or free agency.
    Last edited by Steve; 03-14-2018, 05:07 PM.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Gordon is a decent short-yardage runner in his own right, but adding a big back like Blount would have complimented Gordon some. IT's not like Blount is breaking the bank at $2 million per year.
    LeGarrette Blount seemed like a logical fit to end up with Detroit ever since Bob Quinn took over as GM at the start of the 2016 offseason.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        Last year, just getting everyone working together and working on more basic stuff may have taken a lot more time, with Wiggins, Feeney and Pulley as 1st time starters. This year, it is looking like a more vet squad, so doing that might be more reasonable.

• Formula 21
        Formula 21 commented
        Editing a comment
        And I say that because I believe that Bobby Ross used to do that.
    • Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Blount I also thought would make a nice compliment to Gordon even outside the red zone. The red zone is a big deal unto itself, but I think Blount and even Green to a lesser degree, add to that.

If we are getting the other RB 25-30 touches in short passes and carries, and then in the late 3rd or 4th quarter, you suddenly bring in a big back who if mostly fresh, and is hard to tackle even under the best of circumstance makes it very hard on a D. They are already prone to making mistakes in technique and tackling and then a guy like Blount, who you have to do a good job to get down anyway can just run and break a lot of tackles.

I don't think Blount would get a huge number of carries, but I think he can give a jolt to the running game in the later stages once Ekeler, Gordon and our passing game have them tired. If we are in the lead, great, work on the clock and just grind out the clock, mixing in some play action and downfield shots. If we are behind, sometimes all it takes is a big first down or a big run with the RB breaking tackles all the way to demoralize a D and give our guys a shot in the arm. Even without that, in the first couple games, Rivers was able to get the O rolling late in games without that sort of boost. Adding a guy like Blount adds another tool to get that boost.

I don't think it necessarily has to be Blount, any big RB who is a good goalline runner would do, it's just he is the first guy who comes to mind.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Draft Bo Scarbrough.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰