• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't think the kickoff thing is that important. Kaser did a good job on kickoffs, so he could have handled it if necessary. I thought Lynn said that Kaser hadn't taken any placekicks since TC, and he did fine in Dallas on kickoffs. If he spends some time practicing, he could be pretty good. I would prefer if the placekicker did it, but the important part is getting a K who can hit FG, and if that means having a guy who doesn't do kickoffs, I am fine with that.

With Sturgess or the other two, bring them in and let them compete against each other. There is no reason to give anyone the job. They have the spot on the 90 man roster, for now, make them earn the job long term. That is how you know if they have developed the consistency if they can handle the pressure.

Let them know that we aren't going to cut anyone for having a bad day, but they are being judged over a period of time, and they need to make kicks. If they aren't going to be able to make them, especially the shorter ones, then they aren't going to be our kicker. There is no reason we can't have them compete against each other every day in OTA's and minicamps. You don't even need the full squad taking part, just track every single kick. They need to be down to 2 kickers by TC. Even then, if they aren't going to be able to cut it, and consistently make those kicks, they have until cutdown time, and we bring in other guys (if necessary).
    Last edited by Steve; 03-17-2018, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Which Sturgis are we going to get?

The Dolphins version (FG % in the 70s) or the Eagles version (FG % in the 80s).

Knowing our luck with kickers it'll probably be the former!

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

Anything that stays healthy is probably better than what we had. Let them compete.

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Contact numbers for Los Angeles Chargers K Caleb Sturgis per source: 2-years, $4.45 M w/$1 M guaranteed. 2018: $1 M signing bonus, $1 M base salary, $250,000, 46-Man first-game roster bonus. 2019: $2.2 M base salary, $500,000 base escalator tied to field goal percentage.

Comment

Working...
          X