• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Reyes

I'll be shocked if this guy doesnt end up one of the best players in the NFL

UT:

Kendall Reyes learned something last November.

He had extended his arms and chopped his legs, driving Broncos guard Manny Ramirez backward before shoving him aside. He then charged quarterback Peyton Manning, and the future Hall of Famer knew better, spinning to the ground to soften the impact.

This was the 10th game of the Chargers defensive end's career.

This was, in the thin Denver air, his second fourth-quarter sack of the night.

It's when Reyes knew.

"I can do it," he said last month. "It's on me to be consistent and continue to push myself to do it all the time."

Reyes, a former a second-round draft pick, showed last year he can play at this level. With often the greatest strides an NFL player makes coming between his first and second season, the Chargers look for the 23-year-old to build on his rookie debut, an expectation that suits Reyes fine.

He has never been one to be satisfied on the football field.

That's what got him this far.

Today, Reyes is a stout athlete, listed at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds. In 2012, he had 28 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Before the draft, his 36 reps on the 225-pound bench press were tied for second-most among the NFL Combine's defensive linemen. In high school, he was a three-sport athlete, placing fourth in New Hampshire's state championship as a senior in the javelin and shot put while, along with football, lettering in basketball.

Before the accolades, there was the bench.

One of Reyes' earliest athletic memories is riding the pine as a fifth grader in Pop Warner. He played on the line, not because of his size or skills, he says, but because that's where some coaches stick the kids without a position they're able to play.

"There was an eight-play (participation) minimum," Reyes said. "I was (sometimes) getting like six; I wasn't even getting the minimum. I just loved the game so much because there's no other game like it. You truly like something that much, you're going to figure it out, one day or another. After that, I started getting into games. I kept developing my way through."

Keep developing.

That is the idea here.

The Chargers gave Reyes more responsibility over the course of his rookie year. During the Week 11 breakout in Denver, he played a season-high 42 snaps. It was the start of a trend, as his average workload jumped from 25 reps the first nine games to 46 the final seven.

The trend should carry into 2013.

San Diego is asking a lot of its young starting defensive ends, Reyes on the left and Corey Liuget on the right. They are some of the lone survivors to a radical 12-month overhaul in defensive line coach Don Johnson's position room.

There is no more Luis Castillo or Jacques Cesaire. No more Antonio Garay, Vaughn Martin or Aubrayo Franklin.

The team is fully expected to add veteran experience to the group, possibly before players report to training camp on July 24. Still, Reyes and Liuget figure to share a heavy workload in 2013.

Johnson hopes the two ends can share something else.

Liuget, a 2011 first-round pick, was the epitome of a sophomore leaper last season, improving dramatically to become arguably the defensive line's best player. That improvement came after a quiet rookie season, in part because of youth, the lockout and a week-long contractual holdout in training camp.

Reyes was more advanced as a first-year player than Liuget. In his second season, Reyes' goal is to become more consistent than last year, someone his teammates can turn to and trust.

If he makes a Liuget-like leap, the result could be scary.

"Not for me," said Johnson, who's waiting to see Reyes in pads before evaluating his improvement. "I'd be pretty doggone happy. ... That would be our ultimate hope."
    Last edited by oneinchpunch; 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Add what?
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Add nothing
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Veteran experience = nothing according to OIP.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

How sweet would it be to get Watt type numbers with Reyes/Liuget combined. God Watts good.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

That would be great. Glad TT is looking to add vet depth, i hope he starts at NT.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              How sweet would it be to get Watt type numbers with Reyes/Liuget combined. God Watts good.
              Hope they try and use him in the same way.

But Watt and Kerrigan(our main argument 2011) are both studs
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                Hope they try and use him in the same way.

But Watt and Kerrigan(our main argument 2011) are both studs
                Yea i wouldn't mind either one.

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  With that said, Fleet, I would actually prefer to get those types of numbers from 2 guys combined rather than just 1 guy. Its harder to scheme around 2 guys who are tearing it up. 1 guy can schemed out of a game and its up to the others around him to step up.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                    With that said, Fleet, I would actually prefer to get those types of numbers from 2 guys combined rather than just 1 guy. Its harder to scheme around 2 guys who are tearing it up. 1 guy can schemed out of a game and its up to the others around him to step up.

Thats what i said. lol. 20 sacks from Reyes/Liuget combined are Watts sack totals. Id also take the knocked passes numbers as well.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The problem with inside rushers getting a lot of sacks is that it is harder to beat the guy opposite cleanly. Say Reyes or Liuget lines up as a 3 technique DT over the OG, if they go outside the OT is there, if they goes inside the C is.

Watt got alot of sacks because the OT always had to slide out to block the OLB rushing on his side, so he had a lot more space on his side to work in. Basically, if he beats the OG to the outside, then he only has to beat the OG, and Watt is a lot more athletic then most OG. But he did get a lot of those sacks because they had a good (not great) rush from the OLB. OLB help off the edge also diverts some help from chipping/blocking TE and RB away from Watt, so he is singled up more then you would expect for a player of his caliber. It also doesn't hurt that Houston rushes 5 men (their 3 DL and both OLB) more than any other team in football, and they do it to force teams to block Watt man on man.

We may lack that outside rush, so I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't get that same type of production that Watt did, even though we have 2 inside pass rushers. We have to get the outside guys to force the OL to spread out and use protection on the edge. English needs to step up, and develop some outside rush. He doesn't have to be an all pro. He needs to be able to beat a TE or RB trying to block him, and force an OT to worry about him in space. We use the Pagano double A gap rushes so often, to force teams to block down and allow Reyes and Liuget to only have to beat single team blocks.

But it is not as good as having edge rushers who can force the OL to spread out and block man on man, because the OL still are close enough together to have extra arms and legs in the gaps so there is not enough room for our DL to slip through cleanly. We need the OLB to step up their game and get the rush off the edge and give Liuget and Reyes that chance to rush the QB.

Reyes also needs to improve as a run defender. He is pretty inconsistent in that area. There are plays when he really did well, but a bunch when he got knocked around. He can be very good, he just needs to become more consistent with his technique.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Texans dont exactly have studs at OLB. Better than us though. I agree though we would need to get better outside. Ingram is a good start going forward. I probably draft OL/OLB next year. Or at least i expect us to go that route.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍