Should i change the title of this thread to Reyes/Clowney?? LOL

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      Let's say Larry English, Ryan Mattews, and Antoine Cason are the 3 first rounders you are trading away. Now do you make the deal? :carlton:
      Would you trade LT and Liuget for Clowney?

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Would you trade LT and Liuget for Clowney?
        Heh you kinda made my point. The fact that you picked two guys over a decade apart is exactly why I would take the sure thing.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          Heh you kinda made my point. The fact that you picked two guys over a decade apart is exactly why I would take the sure thing.
          Come on bro. Your hypothetical was weak to begin with. You cant look back on drafts and pretend that failed picks would have been the ones you used in a selling the farm scenario.

I honestly laughed when you went down that road. lol

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

After Aj left and we all looked back on his last several drafts it became obvious that trading away those 2nd round picks realy hurt us. I myself have learned from that and will not be clamoring to trade up for Clowney unless we can do it with a 4th or lower round pick. Keep all our 1st and 2nd round picks please!
            Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

There is no way we can get Clowney by trading 4th round or lower unless he becomes badly injured or gets multiple suspensions for drugs, in which case he would fall to us anyway.

I don't think we trade picks to move up to get him either. Clowney will be a beast for whoever picks in the top 3 next year.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Actually, beasts scare me. I always wonder when they are going to get caught for the PEDs.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

I'm just gonna throw this out there...
                  Remember when we had 3 first round picks, and passed on trading up for Elway?
                  How did that work for us?
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

I think Clowney's stock will fall. The more he's in the spotlight, the more he will be picked apart. The scrutiny will be intense for the guy. Its the American way...we build someone up only to tear them down. Odds are something will happen to hurt his stock. I think our focus next year will still be the Oline.

sorry for the Den60 impersonation
                    sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

It depends. I think there was a lot more danger of that a couple years ago, back before the rookie salaries got fixed.

Clowney is just so productive. So many of this years draft class was guys going off of potential, and Clowney's potential is through the roof. But the fact that even in limit play last year (he was Ingram backup) he had decent production for a college DE, he got a lot better this year. Like most college pass rushers, he needs to learn to use his hands better, but unlike a lot of guys who just run around blockers, Clowney has a power move to go with his speed, and he sets the corner pretty well for a guy coming off the corner, so I think he has the skills to be successful if he came out today. As his technique improves, he could be amazing.

If he doesn't play well, then he will drop some. That is true of any college player. He has only been a 1 year starter, although his production coming off the bench is impressive, as is the fact that South Carolina rotates a lot of guys on their DL, so Clowney doesn't have to play as much as a lot of college DE, yet his production is just as high. Plus he tends to make a lot of impact plays because he is relatively fresh late in the games.

As Fleet pointed out, he has gotten a lot of sacks against Clemson. Someone will point to that as a negative. And it is, to a point, but the thing people always seem to forget is that is true of almost all pass rushers. Sacks tend to come in bunches against the worst pass blockers. That is just how sacks go. But since it is hard to find pressures on box scores, it is hard to find a better measure of pass rush skill, without watching all the games.

But the you tube I linked in the South Carolina bowl game earlier on, he was playing hard and holding his own vs Lewan, who would have been a high #1 pick had he come out this year. Lewan did win the majority of the matchups, but it wasn't a totally one sided battle. I think it is a good comparison, especially since Clowney made the big plays that where there when he got the chances to go against other players. And as a sophmore, opposite one of the best pass blocker in college football, Michigan still game planned around the guy, running away from him, chipping him, giving Lewan help inside. Not many guys get that much respect as sophomores.

The thing with Clowney, is he will only be a junior, so if he has a bad year, then he might go back for his senior season. There are not many players who would not benefit from an additional year of technique work, and Clowney is no exception. Unlike most college players, he is far enough long, that I don't think he has to come back, should he have a big year. The other thing that could hurt his production is that South Carolina is very, very deep at DE, and if those guys keep developing too, it will be like 4 olympic sprinters starting in the 100m dash at the snap (South Carolina uses a 4 DE pass rush package). He could be rushing really well, and still be half a step too slow to get the sacks. But that is the thing sportswriters fixate on, scouts pick up on that because they watch the games & look at more then just stats sheets.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Jamaal Anderson released by Cincy today. Another stud DL who looked like a can't miss in college and did right about squat in the pros.

Jamaal Anderson (born February 6, 1986) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons eighth overall in the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Arkansas.

College career

Jamaal was originally a wide receiver for Parkview Arts and Science Magnet High School in Little Rock, when the Razorbacks,switched him to defensive end when Anthony Brown was injured during Anderson's sophomore season.

Anderson instantly hit it off at his new position change. Anderson recorded 17.5 quarterback sacks in his time at Arkansas, with those sacks going for minus 128 yards. He also recorded 130 tackles, with 84 solos. He had 32 stops for losses of 167 yards. He had 35 quarterback pressures, 8 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery in 20 starts. Anderson chose to forgo his senior season at Arkansas, and entered the NFL Draft.

Professional career

Atlanta Falcons

Anderson was drafted with the 8th overall pick by the Atlanta Falcons in the 2007 NFL Draft. Anderson earned the position of Falcons' starting right defensive end during training camp and started 15 regular season games. He finished the 2007 season with 30 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 3 pass defenses, and 0 quarterback sacks.

Anderson recorded his first sack against Chicago Bears quarterback Kyle Orton on October 12, 2008. He finished the 2008 season with 27 tackles, and two sacks. He moved to defensive tackle after a few games in 2009 due to injuries to the Falcons defensive line and his struggles at end.

On July 29, 2011, he was released by Atlanta.[1]
                        Indianapolis Colts

On August 1, 2011, Anderson signed with the Indianapolis Colts. In a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 25, 2011, Anderson recovered a Ben Roethlisberger fumble caused by Dwight Freeney and returned it 47 yards for his first NFL Touchdown.
                        Cincinnati Bengals

Anderson signed with the Cincinnati Bengals on March 23, 2012 [2], and was cut on July 10, 2013. He played in two games.[3]
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Only in the sense that both are top players at the same position. But in terms of style of play and how it projects to the NFL, I think there is a huge difference.

Anderson had no sacks as a freshman, 4 as a sophmore (3 in the final 4 games), followed by a huge junior year. Clowney had 8 his freshman year (part time) and 13 this year. He was also a run around type of player, who preferred to run around blocks, or slip them, rather then try to take them on and shed, which is something Clowney has already shown. Run around players tend not to be good NFL players, because you cannot abandon your assignment to go off chasing QB. Speed is an essential part of being a pass rusher in the NFL, it just isn't everything. And as an NFL pass rusher Anderson never developed another move to go with his speed rush. Clowney already has a bull rush to go with the outside edge rush.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍