Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Sorry for being a bonehead.
    You're fine bro. You need to stop slamming yourself. You're a legend brother. lol We got your back. No need to be perfect.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      oneinchpunch commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just joking..."bonehead". I'm getting back to normal, but I do need to step up my game

He runs like an 8 man. But i keep seeing reports of him being a rugby star. But with the jersey of number 16 that would suggest hes a sub. The way they feed him the footy he looks like an 8 man but with the size of a lock. A massive lock. Im shocked at how well he runs for his size.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      He runs like an 8 man. But i keep seeing reports of him being a rugby star. But with the jersey of number 16 that would suggest hes a sub. The way they feed him the footy he looks like an 8 man but with the size of a lock. A massive lock. Im shocked at how well he runs for his size.
      I dont think he has a shot. We'll see

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        I dont think he has a shot. We'll see
        I dont either. Its easier for a football guy to get Rugby than a Rugby guy to get Football.

Comment

Whether he has a chance or not, the Chargers need to stop relying on college teams trying to develop OL. They just aren't doing it, and we need to find a way to do it ourselves. We could him as a test case for how we will train and develop our own OL.

He has the physical measurables to be an elite OT, someone just has to teach him the fundamentals and then we can see if he has a chance. If it's not him, then we need to start looking around for sloppy college players or other undrafted players. If we have to grow and develop our own, there is no sense paying top dollar for it. Besides, if we use top draft picks, we can keep using more conventional methods.= on those prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Whether he has a chance or not, the Chargers need to stop relying on college teams trying to develop OL. They just aren't doing it, and we need to find a way to do it ourselves. We could him as a test case for how we will train and develop our own OL.

He has the physical measurables to be an elite OT, someone just has to teach him the fundamentals and then we can see if he has a chance. If it's not him, then we need to start looking around for sloppy college players or other undrafted players. If we have to grow and develop our own, there is no sense paying top dollar for it. Besides, if we use top draft picks, we can keep using more conventional methods.= on those prospects.
            I dig what youíre saying but I think the ol especially tackle is a very skill heavy position. People donít realize the amount of skill these guys have to have. That sort of skill is gained through high school and mostly college and then obviously the nfl. This guy might be a good tackle at age 25. Thatís too long to wait, grab a guy like Timothy Gardner who has been playing the position but will come as a later round draft pick that you can mold but has the fundamentals.

Im convinced you play to this guys strengths and make him a TE. He knows how to break tackles and he is huge and fast for his size. He doesnít have to be the best blocker on the line because he wonít be asked to block edge rushers one on one. In the passing game he will dominate opposing lbs and dbs. He would be almost unblockable and would draw a ton of flags. Give him a year maybe two to learn nfl fundamentals and he could be a weapon on the goal line or in short yardage situations. Want that red zone percentage to go up, create mismatches and thatís what this guy does.

Comment

His rugby background gives him no skill set he can fall back on. NFL LB will eat him alive until he learns to block properly, and that is the same technique as an OL and a TE. I don't see how you think that is any faster. If anything, because we use TE in so many ways, it might actually slow him down. He has to learn to block first and that is the same.

If it is too long to wait, it is too long for any position. I disagree, but that is because I think it is hard to break all the bad mechanical habits you incorrectly learned. Learning new mechanics when you have bad ones to replace is tough. Ask anyone who has been forced to learn a new golf swing after doing it badly for years. This kid is a blank piece of clay, ready to be molded. He is tough and physical. If he is like any of the other decent rugby guy, he loves the contact part of the sport and he will work hard. I know a very few rugby guys on some club teams over the years who weren't, but that is one of the things I like about rugby guys is there aren't too many primadonnas in the crowd.

Gates and Tim Brewster (TE coach) credit Gates rapid development to the fact he had everything to learn from the beginning. He didn't have bad habits to overcome. College OL have so many bad habits these days. They are just not working on the fundamentals like they used to. I am excited about a new guy just because he could be the next Gates. Dielman was similar. He had no bussiness being on the field his rookie year. He was terrible. But it was like someone threw on a light switch the next season. We played the PS game in Australia or something and it was like who the hell is this guy. He simply abused everyone he faced all game, including the starters from the other team. But he developed in one year after being a DL in Indiana.

For it to work, we would have to dedicate an entire roster spot to the guy, and not play him at all this year. If you let him play vs someone else in PS, you run the risk of him being poached off the PS. Then he comes into camp next year and you see what you really have.

Comment

His rugby background gives him no skill set he can fall back on. NFL LB will eat him alive until he learns to block properly, and that is the same technique as an OL and a TE. I don't see how you think that is any faster. If anything, because we use TE in so many ways, it might actually slow him down. He has to learn to block first and that is the same.

If it is too long to wait, it is too long for any position. I disagree, but that is because I think it is hard to break all the bad mechanical habits you incorrectly learned. Learning new mechanics when you have bad ones to replace is tough. Ask anyone who has been forced to learn a new golf swing after doing it badly for years. This kid is a blank piece of clay, ready to be molded. He is tough and physical. If he is like any of the other decent rugby guy, he loves the contact part of the sport and he will work hard. I know a very few rugby guys on some club teams over the years who weren't, but that is one of the things I like about rugby guys is there aren't too many primadonnas in the crowd.

Gates and Tim Brewster (TE coach) credit Gates rapid development to the fact he had everything to learn from the beginning. He didn't have bad habits to overcome. College OL have so many bad habits these days. They are just not working on the fundamentals like they used to. I am excited about a new guy just because he could be the next Gates. Dielman was similar. He had no bussiness being on the field his rookie year. He was terrible. But it was like someone threw on a light switch the next season. We played the PS game in Australia or something and it was like who the hell is this guy. He simply abused everyone he faced all game, including the starters from the other team. But he developed in one year after being a DL in Indiana.

For it to work, we would have to dedicate an entire roster spot to the guy, and not play him at all this year. If you let him play vs someone else in PS, you run the risk of him being poached off the PS. Then he comes into camp next year and you see what you really have.
                Really Rugby give you No skill set to fallback on in the NFL? Thats a stretch. Rugby isnt NFL for sure but its better then just being an athlete off the street. Being a TE is not the same as being a tackle, the skill set is very different. The Tackle has to be ready every play to block a premier pass rushing athlete and a TE is asked to chip block in pass pro or to occupy space in the power running game. The skill sets are hugely different, thats like saying a blocking TE could play tackle, not without a lot of practice.

I do agree that he will be a huge risk on the PS and if he is truley dedicated to the NFL should take at least two years to hone his skill at a position and then try to a join a team. At 22 he would still be a prospect. and could actually try and compete for an NFL roster spot vs being a waste on the PS.

Comment

Rugby highlights

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

If he does get a shot at TE, he better learn how to carry the ball in the NFL!

HC

Comment

A 340 pound Tight End would be insane

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

You would never ask a 340 lb TE to be a chip blocker. If he is on the field, it is going to be as a 3rd OT type. Again, the guy is no threat as a receiver. He has a catch radius, but that is it. Any LB or S will be able to cover him because he is so slow.

We also aren't going to use him as a blocking TE. We can only keep so many blockers on the roster at one time, and Virgil Green wasn't signed to be a receiver. He has some athletic ability and can do some damage with the ball in his hands, but he is not going to get many chances to catch, and he knows how. TE is a very difficult position to play even if you know how I don't see how overloading a guy who has never played American football is going to help speed his learning curve. Gates had a lot of football skills in terms of his route running to the court and had been a highly recruited TE in HS.

Henry gives us a lot of flexibility because he is a decent blocker too. We might try and develop another inline TE, but if we don't sign Gates, I can really see us looking for another pass catcher.

This guy is a lot like Jason Peters was coming out of Arkansas. He played blocking TE while he learned to play OT and then made the move to LT permanently his 2nd year. The only way he is going to catch anything was like Peters, in the goalline when teams forget about him. He has zero potential to get open on his own.

Comment

A rugby player, eh? Well, the Bolts could use a kicker...

Comment

You would never ask a 340 lb TE to be a chip blocker. If he is on the field, it is going to be as a 3rd OT type. Again, the guy is no threat as a receiver. He has a catch radius, but that is it. Any LB or S will be able to cover him because he is so slow.

We also aren't going to use him as a blocking TE. We can only keep so many blockers on the roster at one time, and Virgil Green wasn't signed to be a receiver. He has some athletic ability and can do some damage with the ball in his hands, but he is not going to get many chances to catch, and he knows how. TE is a very difficult position to play even if you know how I don't see how overloading a guy who has never played American football is going to help speed his learning curve. Gates had a lot of football skills in terms of his route running to the court and had been a highly recruited TE in HS.

Henry gives us a lot of flexibility because he is a decent blocker too. We might try and develop another inline TE, but if we don't sign Gates, I can really see us looking for another pass catcher.

This guy is a lot like Jason Peters was coming out of Arkansas. He played blocking TE while he learned to play OT and then made the move to LT permanently his 2nd year. The only way he is going to catch anything was like Peters, in the goalline when teams forget about him. He has zero potential to get open on his own.
                            Why couldnt he chip block? Seems to me his chip would be mighty effective. I also think you underestimate the size and height factor. Sure he canít get quite open a lot but but he has the ability to win at the point and is open perpetually by his size.

Anyway hes heís not going to stick and needs to work on his own for at least a year before he gets any sniffs. The good news is heís young and huge and athletic so he has a chance.

Comment

Fans are overthinking this. Heís not a football player.
                              Making the push

Comment

If his being 6'8" is so overpowering, why have there only been a handful of 6'8" Te in the NFL before? Look at one's stats, and this guy knows how.

https://herosports.com/nfl/player/levine-toilolo-stats
                                Levine Toilolo is a 6'8" TE for the Falcons. And while he is not super fast, he is faster than Mailata and can cut some too (living in SC, I see a lot of Falcons games). When he was drafted Falcons fans got all excited he could be the next Tony G. Guy is super athletic and has NFL bloodlines (3 uncles who played in the NFL). He was a 3rd/4th TE for a 2 TE offense, so he does actually play some. He is listed as the 2nd Te for the Lions, although they are on the Eric Ebron replacement search.

I'm not saying he is a football player, just saying there is a huge shortage of athletic OT out there, and this guy is a blank slate to try and develop one. Watching the lateral drill, he has some ability to mirror. He's more athletic then a lot of the UDFA so there is some upside there. It's not worth spending a draft pick on the guy, but if it is worth giving him a couple of thousand dollars in signing bonus.

OT play among college players is really, really falling off. College teams love the spread because so many of them can cut corners teaching technique. The WR and QB actually come out ahead, because they get so many reps running vs air, and that teach them. Pass rushers get more reps, so they get better. Blockers, not so much.

Comment

• Panamamike
                                  Panamamike commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Former basketball player and TE turned OT O’Neil for Pitt is an extremely athletic OT prospect in the draft.

If his being 6'8" is so overpowering, why have there only been a handful of 6'8" Te in the NFL before? Look at one's stats, and this guy knows how.

https://herosports.com/nfl/player/levine-toilolo-stats
                                Levine Toilolo is a 6'8" TE for the Falcons. And while he is not super fast, he is faster than Mailata and can cut some too (living in SC, I see a lot of Falcons games). When he was drafted Falcons fans got all excited he could be the next Tony G. Guy is super athletic and has NFL bloodlines (3 uncles who played in the NFL). He was a 3rd/4th TE for a 2 TE offense, so he does actually play some. He is listed as the 2nd Te for the Lions, although they are on the Eric Ebron replacement search.

I'm not saying he is a football player, just saying there is a huge shortage of athletic OT out there, and this guy is a blank slate to try and develop one. Watching the lateral drill, he has some ability to mirror. He's more athletic then a lot of the UDFA so there is some upside there. It's not worth spending a draft pick on the guy, but if it is worth giving him a couple of thousand dollars in signing bonus.

OT play among college players is really, really falling off. College teams love the spread because so many of them can cut corners teaching technique. The WR and QB actually come out ahead, because they get so many reps running vs air, and that teach them. Pass rushers get more reps, so they get better. Blockers, not so much.
                                I would guess that 6'8'' athletic guys are mostly playing basketball in college and not the NFL. NBA pays better and doesnt beat a body up as much.

I get what youre saying I think he could be a good practice squad player and I dont think anyone will poach him for a couple years and by that time we could have built a relationship and maybe called him up. He's definitely a UDFA though. Age, Size and Athleticism do make him intriguing.

Comment

It sounds like this shortage of quality Offensive Tackles is a trend and not just a one year bump. Teams may have no choice but to invest in some development Tackles. The scouting reports on Offensive Tackles from the fourth round on look pretty bad.....most are going to be moved inside and final observations are summed up: Could develop into solid NFL backup

Guys like Malaita, Chuks Okorafor. Western Michigan .....Desmond Harrison Western Georgia and Brandon Parker Carolina A &T will probably fall into that developmental category and be drafted earlier than expected

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Ok I have a little crazy idea that will never happen but Iím going stir crazy waiting for the draft. With the new rule making lowering the head illegal itís going to really affect tackling in the nfl, especially the big guys. Tackling a big tough runner is not easy but itís even harder when you have to try and rugby tackle them. See where Iím going? We need a short yardage back and one that knowns how to run through tackles for tough yards. Add in one that has huge size and lower and maybe we have something here.

Again im just bored and the thought crossed my mind.

Comment

Mailata goes to Eagles in the seventh round

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                                      X