• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

We all saw that Gates had very little left last season. He flashed a bit in a few games, but it's time for him to take a bow on a HOF career as an undrafted free agent former basketball player. I hope he retires rather than try to hang on with another team.

Comment

• Lightnin'
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

...he was one of the best.

Looks like I'll be retiring a couple of "85" game-day jersey's...
      San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• boltguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It seems to me they could allow him to have a final press conference to say goodbye. Hell norv had one after he was canned. And retire his number immediately as a show of respect.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          He isn't retired yet. I think in the next few weeks before their July vacations we'll know if he does get a chance to play for someone else, but I'm sure that he'll be back to sign the one-day contract if nothing comes up.

I'd love to see the number retired, I doubt it really,due to number shortages for receivers, and remember Ron Mix had his number retired, then he went to go play for the Raiders, and they made his number available.
      • oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Broncos fans are already hoping that Denver signs him. Just for red zone plays
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          Broncos fans are already hoping that Denver signs him. Just for red zone plays
          Keenum to Gates in the Red Zone? Might not be as effective as it was with Rivers. Who would fans blame?
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If Gates doesn't retire I hope he doesn't go to our divisional rivals that would make me sick, even though I don't think he has much in the tank. I hated when John Parrella left the Chargers and went to the Raiders.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I can only think of 4 QBs that could work with Gates... Rivers, Brees, Rodgers and Brady. PR had trouble getting the ball to Gates last season, and other receivers were more open. I don't recall if the stats are posted, but when Henry was targeted more than 5 times, the Chargers were more apt to win. It's now Hunter Henry's prime.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Thank you Antonio Gates for about a million great moments, and a Hall of Fame worthy career.

One of my favorite players ever. And by all accounts, a fantastic teammate and guy in the locker room.

And if he wants to keep playing, that is certainly his right. Nothing but good thoughts and wishes for that man.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Gates going to a division rival looks like resentment. And imo makes him look sort of lame. He has no reason to be bitter with the Chargers. I really hope he doesnt taint his legacy by going to a team like the Broncos.

Comment

• richpjr
                    richpjr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are there any rumors about him being a Bronco aside from speculation by fans on a forum?
                • Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                  Thank you Antonio Gates for about a million great moments, and a Hall of Fame worthy career.

One of my favorite players ever. And by all accounts, a fantastic teammate and guy in the locker room.

And if he wants to keep playing, that is certainly his right. Nothing but good thoughts and wishes for that man.
                  My thoughts exactly.

He will probably go down as my favorite Charger, ever. Dude comes in undrafted, didn't play a down of football in college, and becomes a HoFer. Couldn't write a better script even if you tried. Sorry we couldn't get you (and countless others) a ring while you were here, but you will always be appreciated as the great player and person you are.

Witten just announced his retirement today (5/3/18) too. Would be fitting for these two legends to go out together. Changing of the TE guard.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Around the NFL

Antonio Gates 'actively negotiating' with Chargers

Print
                    • By Herbie Teope
                    • Around The NFL Writer
                    • Published: July 25, 2018 at 09:44 a.m.

Antonio Gates' return in a Los Angeles Chargers uniform could become more than wishful thinking.
                    During a Tuesday night appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Gates' agent, Tom Condon, told host Alex Marvez that he is "actively negotiating" with Ed McGuire, who serves as the Chargers' executive vice president of football administration/player finance, to potentially bring back the tight end.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Donavan Clark was waived, so there leaves a spot open on the roster. Might be that a signing is imminent, the Chargers would rather have Gates signed before camp, rather than during or just before the season, per reports.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍