Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

2015 Chargers Draft Class

The old adage is you can't grade a draft class until after 3 years.

This is Tom Telesco's 3rd Chargers Draft.
    I'd give Gordon a B. He hasn't been as dominant as some of would have liked, but he's been pretty solid the past 2 seasons.
    Perryman also a B. A good player when healthy.
    Mager is an F. Maybe a D if you are generous. But he's struggled to earn playing time, you'd like to see out of a 3rd round pick
    Emanuel is a C+/B- he's not great...but as a 5th round selection, he started most of the past 2 seasons.
    Philon is a B. He's been effective, and although not a starter is a rotational guy, who has spot started, and has a chance to start soon.

So B B F C+ and B

That puts that draft as a C/C+ for me.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • whookimane
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Dont really disagree with your grades on each player but overall you have to weight the grades based on rounds. For example, an D in round 1 is a lot more painful than a D in round 3. I would say overall it is probably a B. Gordon is a stud and Perryman is a stud (when healthy). Then a couple of late round guys that are contributers and a steal in UDFA with Tyrell Williams. Pretty solid haul all together

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Last edited by oneinchpunch; 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Boltjolt commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Philon get a B+ and Gordon gets a C? LOL, .....Gordon has contributed way more than he and Emmanuel. So he hasnt averaged 4 YPC, he has had a terrible OL . He has been pretty solid as a pass cacher and has shown he is a three down RB where nobody expected that. Id give Melvin at least a solid B...maybe a B+

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Bearded14YourPleasure commented
        Editing a comment
        Gordon is behind only Elliot and Gurley in TD the last 2 seasons. I’m not going to complain about his play at all.

• oneinchpunch
        oneinchpunch commented
        Editing a comment
        Philon gets a B+ based on draft position. I'm grading the draft position. Trading up for Melvin lowers his grade based on position and the trade
    • Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

This is the first year Gordon has had an above average OL. Look for him to have a great year just in time for his next contract. I can see him getting 1800 combined yards easy.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        This is the first year Gordon has had an above average OL. Look for him to have a great year just in time for his next contract. I can see him getting 1800 combined yards easy.
        1800?....hmm, i think 1400-1600 would be a very good year. 1800 is doable but dont happen very often. LT did that just one time.
        Liveon Bell has been a workhorse for Pitt and he had just under 1,300 last season to go with 85 catches. Great year for him. Gurley had a good year with 1,305 and 64 catches.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-05-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

1800?....hmm, i think 1400-1600 would be a very good year. 1800 is doable but dont happen very often. LT did that just one time.
          Liveon Bell has been a workhorse for Pitt and he had just under 1,300 last season to go with 85 catches. Great year for him. Gurley had a good year with 1,305 and 64 catches.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'm so going to start calling him MelBin in honor of OIB
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Just now noticed you said combined stats. Melvin had nearly 1600 combined last year. I thought you meant 1800 rushing yards.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Here is si.com 's grading for the draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/29/nf...marcus-mariota Los Angeles (San Diego) Chargers

1 (15) Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
                  2 (48) Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami
                  3 (83) Craig Mager, DB, Texas State
                  5 (153) Kyle Emmanuel, DE, North Dakota State
                  6 (192) Darius Philon, DT, Arkansas

Wildly enough, every player is still on the roster. Philon had 4.5 sacks last year, Emmanuel started 11 games in 2017, Mager started half the year in 2016, and Perryman has been productive despite injuries. Gordon, obviously the jewel of this class, has had 2,012 yards and 18 touchdowns over the past two seasons.

GRADE: A-

--

You guys are rough (or SI is far too generous). Only two teams had a better grade, Washington and Minnesota. LA Rams got a B+.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

All but Mager are playing which is definitrly above sverage.

Melvin has has 2 strong years out of 3 and is pretty dangerous...good td production.....C? No way. He may not be LT but he has produced well behind a shit run blocking line. Get that straightened out and he is likely a top producer.

Melvin, Perryman and Philon pretty darned solid starters (I see Philon as ascending).

Overall Id give a B plus. Could be a lot worse.

2016 class will be an interesting grade as well. We improved a lot the last few years from what looked pretty dismal for a while.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      Here is si.com 's grading for the draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/29/nf...marcus-mariota Los Angeles (San Diego) Chargers

1 (15) Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
                      2 (48) Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami
                      3 (83) Craig Mager, DB, Texas State
                      5 (153) Kyle Emmanuel, DE, North Dakota State
                      6 (192) Darius Philon, DT, Arkansas

Wildly enough, every player is still on the roster. Philon had 4.5 sacks last year, Emmanuel started 11 games in 2017, Mager started half the year in 2016, and Perryman has been productive despite injuries. Gordon, obviously the jewel of this class, has had 2,012 yards and 18 touchdowns over the past two seasons.

GRADE: A-

--

You guys are rough (or SI is far too generous). Only two teams had a better grade, Washington and Minnesota. LA Rams got a B+.
                      Agree, this place is rough. I hated the Magar pick and he hasnt been very good so he is the only dud from that draft. This forum probably has a hard time with Melvin because they traded up for him and he hasnt been LT. Buy how many have been LT on any team? Gurley had a terrible sophomore season. I dont grade a player using a trade up in mind, it still goes by his play. Its like saying you have to work harder on a Saturday because you are getting paid more.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍