• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think if Verrett performs like a Pro Bowler it would be wise to trade him while his stock is high, we didn't miss him much as we thought when Trevor Williams stepped in. I was shakey on Micheal Davis but I seen improvement with him at the end of last season and there may be a sleeper in Tony Brown.

We should trade Verrett for two reasons
    1. He will want a salary increase for sure especially if he is playing at a Pro Bowl level and this is his last year under contract
    2. We shouldn't invest in a guy who has proven injury history record

We won't trade him for three reasons
    1. He is slow in coming around from injury or his performance falls off
    2. He is playing at Pro Bowl level and we are winning with great chemistry and on the verge of a Super Bowl meaning before the trade deadline we are undefeated or lose one game
    3. He is playing good but we are unable to find a trade partner that is willing to give us anything in value back because of his injury history.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Gwynning_Spirit commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to go with #3.
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

This secondary is the best secondary that I can ever remember the chargers ever having. The fact that you can plug King into any of the secondary spots makes him the most valuable player in the secondary imo. Personally I would like to see him win the strong safety starter position with James playing free safety or vice versa.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

I dont think we should under value the slot role King plays. I dont think Verrett and Hayward could play it on his level because of the fact its similar to a small LB role. They would have to take on blockers and plug gaps. Hayward didnt really do that in the slot at GB. King is a smaller guy but hes pretty stout for his size. He plays the run and gets after QBs from the slot better than anyone on the team. I think King is best suited for slot. Its a difficult position to play that requires great run stopping ability. In a way its a saftey type role.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

King is the best slot corner we've ever had, I'd be hesitant to move him. He is more valuable there than at FS.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Speaking of which, the Chargers already handed out numbers to rookie draft picks. James will wear Tre Boston's old jersey, No. 33. Nwosu will wear No. 58. Jones picked No. 91.
          Fourth-round selection LB Kyzir White will wear No. 44, and center Scott QuessenberryDylan Cantrell will wear No. 84, and seventh-round selection Justin Jackson picked No. 32.
          Confirmed, Boston is gone.

Jones got Leslie O'Neal's old number IIRC.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Jackson with #32!
        • Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by whookimane View Post

I dont disagree, I am only saying that if verrett is back to 100% he will prove he is better than king and williams in virtually no time at all
          He will prove that but it will only last about four weeks til he goes on IR again and that should be it for being a Charger.
          I do hope they move Perryman back to MLB and get Pullard off the field.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-06-2018, 07:45 AM.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen about Perryman/Pullard.
        • Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

BoltBacker

Comment

• BoltBacker
            BoltBacker commented
            Editing a comment
            That is why they have committed $8.5M on him this year? I do agree that this is a prove it season, he needs to play 16 and show the ability to get past the injury bug. They are betting that he can. The Keenan Allen comparison is not exactly apples to apples but it is not a stretch being he plays a more important position.
        • blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Was not aware of the Pullard/Nwosa connection (doh!), this could get interesting.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Was not aware of the Pullard/Nwosa connection (doh!), this could get interesting.
            It would be more interesting if they replaced Pullard with a better player.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes good players play poorly due to trying to do too much, covering for weaker guys. They end up out of position, have to take a bad angle, whiff the tackle, etc. These two guys know each other and I assume will trust each other more instinctively. We may end up seeing a whole new Pullard out there.

• Boltjolt
              Boltjolt commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think having Nwosa around is gonna change that. Not to mention they only played together for one season at USC when Nwosa was a Freshman. Pullard was on the street when we came calling. Hopefully he will be a backup if not cut.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-13-2018, 05:01 PM.

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Ideally as a backup, oh yeah. Bradley must like him for that over say Toomer.
          • Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

BoltBacker

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

On this day Verrett IS the starter opposite Heyward without a second of hesitation...he is that good. Its obvious his health will dictate his future with this team. He makes it a full year and plays his normal level he will get an offer or possubly even tagged so we control his next year as a trade candidate. The issue is our depth is great at CB with what we were forced to play last year at CB...rookies stepped up and excelled. We have an excellent secondary day 1 that is going to give Mahonnes fits. If Verrett gets injured early again I cant see is taking a roster spot by tagging....we have great quality young starters without him that have proven healthy so far. We have a good problem.

i will add our cap space next year could dictate direction too. He is getting a gift by being paid again this year and we can squeeze him in and we dint have a huge gap in the team (OTdepth is prob the only area I have concern with but thats not a starter issue). Next year im not clear whether we have the cash to pay V as a part time player. We may have an OT position to fill if Okung is gone where those funds may be neede.

Imo if Verrett plays the whole season at his PB level he secures an offer from us...he does owe the front office a lot for getting paid many millions for doing rehab. I hope he feels an obligation to the franchise to stay for what was paid already.

We have good problems.

Comment

Working...
              X