• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Rivers not retiring anytime soon

Forget drafting a qb. Rivers will get more than $30 mil a year in his next contract. Maybe 3 years, $100 million plus. Think he's retiring anytime soon?

Matt Ryan and Falcons reportedly agree to terms on NFL-record $150 million deal

Matt Ryan is now the highest-paid quarterback in NFL history
    Back in January, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said his top priority for the offseason was to get a contract extension done with Matt Ryan, and even though it took four months the two sides have finally hammered out a deal, and it's a big one.
    According to ESPN.com, Ryan has agreed to terms on a five-year, $150 million extension that will make him the highest-paid quarterback in NFL history. The deal means that Ryan will become the first player to make $30 million per year. The extension also includes $100 million in guaranteed money, which is also an NFL record.
    Ryan's overall contract eclipses the record that was set by Jimmy Garoppolo in February, when he signed a five-year deal with the 49ers worth a total of $137.5 million. In terms of guaranteed money, Ryan's huge payday will move him into the record books past Kirk Cousins, who signed a fully guaranteed three-year contract with the Vikings that's worth $84 million.
    The new deal will keep the 32-year-old -- who turns 33 on May 17 -- in Atlanta through the 2023 season. Before agreeing to the extension, Ryan's contract had been set to expire following the 2018 season.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Would be awesome if PR sticks around for a few more years & continues to play at a high level. Hope he gets a fat contract too!

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If our D improves as it should, and the Oline continues to keep him one of the cleanest QBs in the league (and solves the KC problem...), that would be two big incentives.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

This team's window to win a SB is opening now. And it will be open for the foreseeable future with the injection if good young players. Rivers wants a SB. Now is the best time for him in the post LT era.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Yeah he needs to support his 100 kids

Comment

• system
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2018
            • Send PM

Keep stacking that O-line, so that he can live in that pocket, and he'll definitely be able to play 3 more years.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

I could see us drafting trenches next year. OT/DT

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                I could see us drafting trenches next year. OT/DT
                Agree. I kind of think the depth at most other positions is adequate enough to win big. I would want another edge rusher too, as I think that spot could always use more.

The one team I want to take down this coming year the most is the Pats, and I feel really good about this Bolts team being able to do it. I know I keep saying this.....my Pats fan friends drive me crazy saying that Rivers sucks and can't win the big game, yada yada yada. Well, this could be a turning point. I defend Rivers (and this team) til the death of me. Lol!

Comment

• blueman
                  blueman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I want KC, bad.
              • chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I was against drafting a QB this year for obvious reasons but I do think next year we may want to start to look for Rivers successor. It doesn't have to be someone in the first round but I would try to look for someone in the second round if possible. If there is a good QB in the first round when we select next year then you do need to look at drafting that player. At the same time I don't want us taking a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB. I want the chargers to make sure if they do draft a QB next year that he is the right fit for this team. Have him sit behind Rivers for 3 or 4 years like Rodgers did in GreenBay behind Favre.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                  MasterOfPuppets commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotta disagree, go all in with Rivers for the next 2-3 years, draft a QB when Rivers shows he's near the end and have a bridge QB for one year, maybe Cardale can be that guy in 3 years, have the new QB sit for a year behind Cardale

• SDFan
                  SDFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the Chargers WILL NOT draft a QB high and "let him sit" for 2-3 years of his 5 year rookie contract. The NFL just doesn't work like that. Reality of the big picture here is they want this team playing really well behind Rivers moving into the new stadium. After that 1st year, all bets are off, including the security of the Head Coach and GM positions. If Rivers doesn't make it another couple years, they'll have to go another direction sooner to generate interest moving into the home of the Rams.

• Boltjolt
                  Boltjolt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also disagree. Rogers was an exception as QBs drafted in the first round dont usually sit three years and IMO to think about a QB sitting four years is stupid. Garropolo probably couldnt wait to leave New England and probably told them he wasnt resigning with them......and who could blame him, and he wasnt a first round pick.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-05-2018, 07:46 AM.
              • chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by masterofpuppets View Post
                Gotta disagree, go all in with Rivers for the next 2-3 years, draft a QB when Rivers shows he's near the end and have a bridge QB for one year, maybe Cardale can be that guy in 3 years, have the new QB sit for a year behind Cardale
                LOL you want a QB to sit and learn behind Cardale Jones? I didn't want a QB this year because of how horrendous our run defense was. I do think that you can draft a QB next year and still go all in and get the players you need to make the superbowl but as I said only draft that QB if he is the right fit for this team and that you are positive he will be RIvers successor. Honestly though depending on how our rush defense goes this year most likely they will draft a DT in first round next year.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                  MasterOfPuppets commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL right back at you if you want to draft a QB in the first round and have him sit for 2-3 years. BTW the word "maybe" means, in this case, if Cardale proves to be a decent QB in the next 2-3 as Rivers backup he could be a bridge QB for a rookie drafted in 2-3 years.

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  IMO, the best strategy is to select the next franchise QB in the draft before Rivers' final season, which we have reason to believe will be no earlier than 2020.
              • Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I see Rivers here for 5 more years. Don't draft another until we know he is retiring.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Attack
                  Attack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hope you're right about 5 more (good) years with Rivers, but I don't see it. I am seeing 3 years at most. Brady and Elway are the only QBs that I have ever seen be good/great QBs into their late 30's/40's. Prove me wrong, Rivers, you bad ass.
              • Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

LOL you want a QB to sit and learn behind Cardale Jones? I didn't want a QB this year because of how horrendous our run defense was. I do think that you can draft a QB next year and still go all in and get the players you need to make the superbowl but as I said only draft that QB if he is the right fit for this team and that you are positive he will be RIvers successor. Honestly though depending on how our rush defense goes this year most likely they will draft a DT in first round next year.
                This is the flaw with post comments. You cant quote the comment so you quoted yourself. And it makes you look like you are talking to yourself. Just copy and paste what you said here in the comment section of your post. Masterofpuppets will know you are talking with him.

Or you can just highlight what he said and use the post quote pop up. Its not pretty when it quotes but it gets the job done.

Comment

Working...
                X