• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Rivers vs. Romo

Philip Rivers and Tony Romo have posted impressive numbers in the past decade, but neither has achieved great playoff success. Which QB reigns supreme? Bucky Brooks' answer might surprise you.

Apparently there's just not enough news these days that they are comparing these 2 guys yet again. Rivers wins though at least! It's a long article so didn't feel like posting it all since it also includes videos.

Conclusion
    The debate between Rivers and Romo is a compelling one. While too much has been made of their disappointments, it is time for one of these former Pro Bowlers to rekindle talks of greatness with a deep playoff run. Although Romo is more naturally gifted -- and surrounded by a more dynamic supporting cast -- Rivers wins this matchup, based on his outstanding performance in the clutch throughout his career. Turnover woes over the past two seasons certainly have tarnished Rivers' star, but he has been too good for too long to finish as the runner-up in this debate.
  • OCBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I would have liked a category called "mental", although clutch and game management have mental aspects. I think Rivers wins over Romo in the mental category Even though people criticize Rivers saying he throws a fit on the sidelines or talks trash to other players, he is mentally tough and never gives up on a game. Romo seems a bit fragile mentally and emotionally to me. I'd never say that about Rivers. In fact, some of Rivers' turnover problems are because he is confident and doesn't want to give up on a game, so he forces a throw where he shouldn't.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Originally posted by OCBolt View Post
      I would have liked a category called "mental", although clutch and game management have mental aspects. I think Rivers wins over Romo in the mental category Even though people criticize Rivers saying he throws a fit on the sidelines or talks trash to other players, he is mentally tough and never gives up on a game. Romo seems a bit fragile mentally and emotionally to me. I'd never say that about Rivers. In fact, some of Rivers' turnover problems are because he is confident and doesn't want to give up on a game, so he forces a throw where he shouldn't.
      Agreed. I'll take Rivers mental toughness and drive over Romo's fabricated persona anytime. Romo's only in this discussion because he's the QB of the Dallas Cowbobs.
      sigpic

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

I agree. I think both QBs are hugely underrated, but if I had to choose one, I would choose Rivers.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

Romo is more consistent. Rivers used to be better but has recently slid to where the totallity of his career merits a close comparrison.

We actually have a huge issue if Rivers doesn't improve soon he is below Romo's level and we are screwed. I REALLY hope an improved offensive line leads to Rivers rebounding in a big way.
          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• rikardo
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

With the O-line we have had the past 2 year. I give Rivers the benefit of the doubt. There aren’t many QB that would have success with the O-Line IMO (maybe Rogers or one of the very mobile QB that are out there RG3 & Wilson)
            Having said that the KC fumble on Prime time 2 season ago has no excuses (that play caused us a playoff berth).

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
              Romo is more consistent. Rivers used to be better but has recently slid to where the totallity of his career merits a close comparrison.

We actually have a huge issue if Rivers doesn't improve soon he is below Romo's level and we are screwed. I REALLY hope an improved offensive line leads to Rivers rebounding in a big way.

You are giving way too much to blame to Rivers for what has happened over the last two years. Of course, Rivers, as an immobile QB, is going to suffer more than other QBs when his OL's play is poor. Yet, he was still ranked #11 in QB rating in both 2011 and 2012 despite the horrible OL protection and an idiot HC that took half a season to realize that he had to stop calling 7 step drop plays because his QB was already sacked or getting clobbered as he was releasing the ball virtually every time he called such a play.

Rivers has already proven that even with average OL protection and guys off the street at the skill positions, he can be a top 3 QB as he was for three seasons in a row from 2008-2010. Just give him the OL protection and he will again be among the best few QBs in the NFL.

Finally, if Rivers plays at Romo's level, we are most definitely not screwed. Romo is hugely underrated. He has never had a season with a QB rating under 90 and has a career QB rating of 95.6. (Peyton Manning's is 95.7.) With all due respect to RGIII, Romo is pretty easily the best QB in the NFC East.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                With the O-line we have had the past 2 year. I give Rivers the benefit of the doubt. There aren’t many QB that would have success with the O-Line IMO (maybe Rogers or one of the very mobile QB that are out there RG3 & Wilson)
                Having said that the KC fumble on Prime time 2 season ago has no excuses (that play caused us a playoff berth).
                That's the one that got inside his head, IMO.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

That fumble pretty much ruined that season.

The 4th and 29 pretty much sunk us last season. At least it would've kept Baltimore out of the playoffs.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                    You are giving way too much to blame to Rivers for what has happened over the last two years. Of course, Rivers, as an immobile QB, is going to suffer more than other QBs when his OL's play is poor. Yet, he was still ranked #11 in QB rating in both 2011 and 2012 despite the horrible OL protection and an idiot HC that took half a season to realize that he had to stop calling 7 step drop plays because his QB was already sacked or getting clobbered as he was releasing the ball virtually every time he called such a play.

Rivers has already proven that even with average OL protection and guys off the street at the skill positions, he can be a top 3 QB as he was for three seasons in a row from 2008-2010. Just give him the OL protection and he will again be among the best few QBs in the NFL.

Finally, if Rivers plays at Romo's level, we are most definitely not screwed. Romo is hugely underrated. He has never had a season with a QB rating under 90 and has a career QB rating of 95.6. (Peyton Manning's is 95.7.) With all due respect to RGIII, Romo is pretty easily the best QB in the NFC East.
                    I see your point and basically agree.
                    I don't put as much stock in the QB ratings, though. I look for a QB that dictates to the defense when the game is on the line. I'm betting on Rivers to get that back, now that Norv is gone.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      That fumble pretty much ruined that season.

The 4th and 29 pretty much sunk us last season. At least it would've kept Baltimore out of the playoffs.
                      So at least we had a hand in ruining Denver's season..
                      sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        So at least we had a hand in ruining Denver's season..
                        You do make a valid point.

Comment

Working...
                        X