• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

When the Bolts had those good years with Gates, Rivers, LT, Merriman, Jamal etc., I remember someone asking the players who was the most competitive guy in the team. They all said it was Gates. I realize age is catching up with him as it does to everyone. But you have to wonder if he still has it in him to get in the best shape he can, give it one more year, put his TD record out of reach, and maybe even win a championship. Admittedly he is only a shadow of what he once was, but that's still better than some of the options.

Comment

• BoltBacker
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
      When the Bolts had those good years with Gates, Rivers, LT, Merriman, Jamal etc., I remember someone asking the players who was the most competitive guy in the team. They all said it was Gates. I realize age is catching up with him as it does to everyone. But you have to wonder if he still has it in him to get in the best shape he can, give it one more year, put his TD record out of reach, and maybe even win a championship. Admittedly he is only a shadow of what he once was, but that's still better than some of the options.
      He didn't get in shape last year, why would this year be different? Could easily lose 40lbs to show Telesco he is serious.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Gates has always been a bit, eh, chunky. But my son who is not a Chargers fan and doesn't watch the team much sat with me during a game last year and remarked how big gates had gotten. And big did not mean muscular.

Chargers just have to decide the pros and cons:

Pros:
        Knows the offense totally, great rapport with Rivers, can turn it on for brief stints, still can be effective on goal line and short distance third downs, can help develop the other TEs, great locker room influence, Chargers legend who it would really be nice to see go out well, tremendous person, willing to act as a sub

Cons:
        Movement skills have deteriorated, never was much of a blocker and is certainly not better there, can be taken away by a LB in coverage now, absolutely nothing after the catch, pretty expensive for what he would bring, last two seasons hands have not been what they were (concentration issues due to standing on sidelines?)

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          The OTAs must have revealed the TEs as limited.
          That was my first thought.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends what they are looking for. Even fat Gates is not the easiest guy to cover inside the 10, not sure anybody else we (or most teams) have is that.
        • Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Comment

• chargerkdb
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Hotter than hell, Georgia
            • Send PM

Comment

Working...