Finally cutting the cord. Only one hesitation................

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Finally cutting the cord. Only one hesitation................

The wife and I finally decided it's time to cut the cord. My only hangup is how am I going to watch the Chargers with the Sunday ticket.

Does anyone know of any other way to consistentlywatch NFL without the Sunday ticket?
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

A bar
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Darth Sergious
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I decided to bite the bullet and pay the NFL Gamepass, very very happy with my desicion. Used to go stream hunting (ATDHE usually) with very crappy results.

Comment

• Darth Sergious
        Darth Sergious commented
        Editing a comment
        Im pretty sure I see game live on Gamepass with the "season plus pass"

NFL+ is the National Football League’s exclusive streaming service. NFL+ exists within the NFL app and NFL.com ecosystem and delivers a combination of live local and primetime mobile games, NFL RedZone, NFL Network, live game audio, game replays, and on-demand content across two pricing tiers: NFL+ and NFL+ Premium.

• Screeme
        Screeme commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to use a firstrowsports.. but sites that do this
        are RIFE with virus's. I had to give my laptop a solid scrubbing every week after the game. No longer...

• bonehead
        bonehead commented
        Editing a comment
        Season plus is only playoffs Super Bowl and Pro Bowl I think
    • Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

There are some solid Kodi-based solutions, and android IPTV apps, some free and some pay (but a lot lower than a DirecTV sub.) We had a member who sold streaming boxes (and a former re-seller... I won't tell!), that gets these, but I don't think Fleet will let us discuss that route, or allow those who might re-sell you a subscription service, because the copyright holders (namely the NFL and DTV) could make the site a target for damages.
      Last edited by Bolt-O; 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Bolt-O commented
        Editing a comment
        It probably is so far out of date, it can't be updated, unfortunately. But just until fairly recently, there were a couple of premium addons that did have live sports including NFL games when in season. Also, that company has changed its name, as well as their box (maybe due to that targeting thing), but you can do a trade-in for a newer box. If "stream" is monitoring... maybe he'll reach out and give us a better deal, lol, but he probably would need to give a taste back to Fleet.

• Boltjolt
        Boltjolt commented
        Editing a comment
        Said it then, I'll say it now. That box that guy was selling was a rip-off. Still have my Amazon box that is tweaked and the guy updates it constantly. You.can also pay a monthly fee of like 11 or $15 to have more TV like HD experience, I just don't pay it because I have regular TV and just stream HBO shows and Movies from it and NFL games. But the NFL games sometimes are shitty resolution and aren't always able to get Charger games(because I don't subscribe) but that box is way better than the one the guy here was selling. He left you all hanging with no updates and his was $400?

I can't make a complete switch like that from cable or DirecTV because my wife records all kinds of stuff and she just have certain channels she likes to watch all the time.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-25-2018, 06:33 AM.

• Bolt-O
        Bolt-O commented
        Editing a comment
        The reason that those old boxes can't be updated is that it has a older Android version, and that box seller has moved on to a newer version of Kodi. It can be done on your own, but face it, they are getting content that 'providers' want you to pay for, so it makes them gray or black market.
    • SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

VIASat is offering direct to home satellite internet service all over USA. Saw a commercial last night with 2 year rate lock, and they have a fairly high speed package for like $112.00 month. So technically still paying for a service, but no cord from cable company :koolaid:
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

With the way that AT&T is expanding their streaming packages, I won't be surprised if they offer Sunday Ticket as some kind of add on to one of them - but it's not available yet.

I had DirecTV and got tired of paying $130 a month for equipment and the package I needed to get CBS Sports (for SDSU basketball). We cut the cord and switched over to YouTubeTV about 6 months ago and it has been great. For $35 a month (now $40 for new subscribers) it's a bargain and about the only complaint is some shows go to VOD quickly and you can't fast forward through commercials. They have a ton of sports and the NFL network is about the only thing missing for me.

Comment

• Rugger05
          Rugger05 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds exactly what I plan on doing. Sick of paying DirectTV $130 a month for so many channels I never watch. It would be great if they offered Sunday Ticket as streaming option............

• Boltjolt
          Boltjolt commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, DirecTV is great. Only thing is they don't have a good internet service to go with it. Otherwise id switch back.
          Stuff like Google TV, Netflix... That just don't work for me. Lots of channels we watch. Love AXS TV channel too. I'm looking to get rid of Cox again because they stopped giving us our bundle discount.
      • BoltBacker
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Las Vegas, NV
        • Send PM

NFL GamePass with a VPN. Believe you have to be outside USA hence the VPN. NFL still getting paid but it is more reasonable.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

We just got back from your year long rv journey and after 20 years of Directv and the NFL package, I finally decided to cut the cord as well. Currently using a Roku and have been happy with it. Streaming service is still up in the air for me, I am using the 7 day free trial on Hulu, Dtv Now, Vue, etc to determine which one I want to use. I have no idea what I am dong with the NFL this year and I don't understand all of the suggestions above, they don't look like they are even in English! Haha...will be interesting following this thread all summer as we get closer to the season.

It's crazy, MLB has such an easy subscription service where you can buy your favorite team's games only and stream them on the Roku, phone, laptop, etc. I think it cost me under $90 for virtually ever Dodger game all season. Why cant the NFL figure out something like that?
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Screeme
            Screeme commented
            Editing a comment
            You gotta come back with your feedback. I can save like $150 by cutting Comcast and going with Hulu (already have Amazon and Netflix..). I am just not sure if Hulu is my best option.
        • Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Well I did it. Currently using YouTube TV and having no issues so far. Had to get the Noggin app for 8 dollars a month so my 3 and 4 year old can watch Nik shows. I have a buddy who might get the NFL package. I offered to pay for half of it so i can get his login information (he used mine last year).

So my monthly bill went from $142 after taxes and everything from Direct TV to just under 50 a month............

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
            Well I did it. Currently using YouTube TV and having no issues so far. Had to get the Noggin app for 8 dollars a month so my 3 and 4 year old can watch Nik shows. I have a buddy who might get the NFL package. I offered to pay for half of it so i can get his login information (he used mine last year).

So my monthly bill went from $142 after taxes and everything from Direct TV to just under 50 a month............
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
              richpjr commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll pipe in since I just did the same thing - the only two channels I miss are the NFL Network and the History Channel. Not being able to fast forward through shows that are VOD annoys some people, but don't record that much so it isn't an issue for me. But the $1100 a year I am saving makes me wish I'd done this sooner.

• Rugger05
              Rugger05 commented
              Editing a comment
              The only channels I see myself missing are Food Network and like richpjr says History channel. I wish I would of done it sooner also

• Formula 21
              Formula 21 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the movie channels. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, & Epix. TCM too. Can you replace them?
          • Boltsfan70
            East Coast Chargers Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
            • Send PM

I have cable for internet. And direct tv now on fire stick. to be honest last year i did not watch many games last year and just followed along on here. I would catch a few games on modro. Having a 2 year old daughter i guess spending time with her has taken over. She does like watch football and soccer.

Comment

• UtahBolt
              UtahBolt commented
              Editing a comment
              Does Directv Now offer access to the NFL package?
          • MasterOfPuppets
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Tijuana
            • Send PM

I did that here in Tijuana, so I bought a long range HDTV antenna (about $120) and watch the over the air TV signal. I also like baseball but for that I have to look for online streaming (reddit works every time)

Comment

Working...
            X