• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

The man isn’t wrong...

Okung made a plea for the NFLPA to insist on guaranteed contracts in the next CBA

The issue with this is that contracts are unlikely to be the same now as they would be if they had to be fully guaranteed.

Take Okung's contract as an example. He signed a 4 year $53 million deal with $25 million in guaranteed money. I doubt we would offer him anywhere near the upper total in guaranteed money, the figure would likely be the same or not substantially more than his current guaranteed money figure. There is also the potential that the length of contract could be shorter, especially for players like Okung who came here on the back of a lackluster year with the Broncos.

Now I do agree that fully guaranteed deals would be nice for the players, but I think the average salaries would not be the same as they are now for the players outside the top echelon. So currently players earn a certain amount of guaranteed money and can top it up with bonuses. In Okung's case it's 13.25 million in average salary, but his average guarantee is 6.25 million. There is a very good chance his fully guaranteed deal would be nearer the latter than the former.

So the question for players like Okung is do they take a fully guaranteed deal with a lower average salary and no opportunity to top up their earnings through bonuses, or do they take the higher average salary with less guaranteed money and take the opportunity to earn more through bonuses?

I suspect some players would prefer the guarantee, but others at the mid to lower end can boost their earnings through bonuses. So it's a difficult one because i could see fully guaranteed deals meaning shorter term contracts with lower average salaries to offset the risk on contracts for certain players.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Good luck with that Russel....

The players want expanded roster spots due to consussion protcols, do away with thursday games, guaranteed contracts, cut down pre-season. They already barely do any hitting and have cut padded practice time immensley. And what the F are they going to give up? Kneeling? They dont have the leverage. That is besides the mess in comparative contracts this would create. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Fully guaranteed contracts would have to come with a way for owners to get out of contracts with players that stop performing. Call it the Gaither clause.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

the guy is fuckin clueless and flat out wrong in his perspective. He thinks the players ought to be making most the profits as if the game wouldn't go on without them. These primadonnas think they are entitled simply because they won the genetic lottery and were mostly pampered, promoted and idolized from the 1st time they showed the physical attributes to succeed playing a GAME. The players should be categorized strictly as Independent Contractors with health benefits- and are way overpaid for their career of choice. The owners are rich - so what?- and sports teams are nothing more than playthings or trophys for most of them. If the players don't want a short career with high injury potential- then choose another path and stop complaining and acting like you are more important than the guys that take all the risk of ownership and pay the salaries. Time to ban player's unions as well as protests like kneeling that are detrimental to the success of the league and turns off most the paying customers that make it all possible at this level.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• powderblueboy
            powderblueboy commented
            Editing a comment
            Owners are immensely replaceable today: they could all keel over tomorrow with coronaries & the game wouldn't lose anything. How much do these useless appendages suck up - 40% of the profits? The last owner worth a damn was Al Davis. I'll be waiting until hell freezes over before this guy gives me some justification for their existence other than some feudalistic rant about untermenschen knowing their place. This is easily one of those most despicable posts i've read in any Charger forum.

• BoltBacker
            BoltBacker commented
            Editing a comment
            "Players are but employees". Are you serious Windsor? They are also the product, replace them all and the business fails the next day. Replace the owners and it is a speed bump while going through a transition.

• SDFan
            SDFan commented
            Editing a comment
            You union shill guys are funny! There's way more players than slots- and the replacement players worked out just fine back in 86 or whenever that stupid strike was. Many fans prefer the college game with no rich paid players either. Without rich owners there's NO NFL period, because there would be no fancy modern stadiums, and they pay all the front office and coaching staffs, etc. that actually make the game work. If the new AFFL or whatever it's called works out that is owned by the league- the players better see the writing on the wall just exactly how replaceable they really are. They are NOT THE GAME, even though they want to think so and are told that by union hacks and agents making a living off them.
        • Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I have little sympathy for either side. The amounts of money owners get and players get is obscene. Spent all week in the hospital. Give that money to nurses!!

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Tijuana
            • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
              richpjr commented
              Editing a comment
              No they don't. Agents know exactly how much the player will really be paid, so it's not a surprise to anyone (or shouldn't be). Certainly don't need a new CBA for that.
          • Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            I have little sympathy for either side. The amounts of money owners get and players get is obscene. Spent all week in the hospital. Give that money to nurses!!

TG
            Hope you're ok brother.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
              Mojo to you Heatmiser!
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Thank you friends. I wish it were me. It is my wife. Throat tumors closing her windpipe. She is very fit and was having trouble breathing. Took 5 trips to er to find the tumors. Surgery Monday. Mother of 7. A living saint.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Highboltage
                  Highboltage commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Prayers and Mucho Mojo.
              • blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Hope all goes well, HM, thoughts and prayers with you.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Mojo for HM's wife!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰