• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

Is Rivers a Tier 1, HOF QB

For those of us that have followed his career how many feel this is the season for him to show he is that level. This year, more the any other, is the time to show that with the tools he will elevate the team. The biggest factor for me is the O-line, with above average OL play which he hasn't had in along time he will produce at Brees/Brady level.

Both of those QB's being older age is not a factor. PR has his arguably best surrounding cast of his career. You have to go back to Gates/LT years to be at a similar level. For the Chargers this is a no excuses year to show they are at Superbowl competing level.

Key for PR is to keep interceptions down while not changing his attacking mentality. He sets the the tone for the entire offense. This year is huge, a Superbowl run would move Rivers for being on the HOF fringe to an automatic yes.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He needs to win it all. That said, he's a HOF QB, maybe not 1st ballot, unless he does win at least 1 SB. Even then, I think Fouts may have been a first ballot, maybe because of his class.

Comment

• foreigner
      foreigner commented
      Editing a comment
      yep, thats what I think too.
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Unfortunately, I think he needs to at least get to one (maybe not win it, but be there) before he will get serious consideration.
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Tijuana
      • Send PM

He'll have 60,000+ yards and 400+ TDs, so he'll be a HOF, first ballot only if he wins a SB

Comment

• SDFan
        SDFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan Marino-esque stats there. Did he get into HOF on 1st ballot?

• MasterOfPuppets
        MasterOfPuppets commented
        Editing a comment
        different era I guess, a lot of HOF caliber QBs coming up
    • Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think his stats say HOF, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it eventually. But he REALLY needs a SB to ensure a first ballot entry.

Put it this way, I am sure his draft classmates, Roethlesberger and Manning are in the HOF... and I don't think anybody would say that Rivers isn't as good as or even better than those two. But those two also have SB wins. If Rivers had one, I don't think this is a question at all. Like it or not, those SB wins round out a QB's HOF credentials.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

Definitely in the HOF. Its a media biased voting however and with so many years not in the playoffs im sure that hurts him. He still has been top 5 and had big numbers year over year consistently. Winning a SB takes a defense to go with the offense and frankly we just havent been near good enough to get close. This year maybe so but we need to seriously kick our game up a notch to get to the playoffs and find a way to dominate consistently against the good teams. TT has done his part so its up to the staff and team to get serious on Sundays to put Rivers into a bowl to earn his rightful place. He is special.

When he retires im sure he wants to coach but damn i would love to hear him in the booth. He is just golly gee whiz hilarious and infectious but damn smart. He would be great to hear breaking down plays.

Not to start a war but it occurred to me Brees probably has earned that first ballot. He sure blossomed in a different offense and his numbers are ridiculous year after year. Throw the SB win in and he to me will get in first chance. As much as it pains me given his asshat exit he has earned it.

Comment

• Screeme
          Screeme commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think there's any question Brees is a first ballot HOF'er. Probably one of 3 guys nobody will argue with (Brady and Rodgers).

I didn't think of his exit as particularly "asshatish". He was hurt, just had shoulder surgery, we just drafted Rivers and parted ways. The Saints really took a chance given the shoulder surgery.

• RTPbolt
          RTPbolt commented
          Editing a comment
          I recall Brees felt quite hurt and had to use the media to push buttons. Granted not like the idiot Safety but he definitely irked me a bit.

• Rugger05
          Rugger05 commented
          Editing a comment
          I always wonder what Brees career would of been if Miami singed him over New Orleans. New Orleans was the only team to offer him a contract because of how wrecked his shoulder was. The Dolphins doctor told the team not to sign him so they singed Culpepper instead.
      • Maverick
        (Coryellian)
        • Jun 2013
        • Point Loma
        • Send PM

In my mind he is a HoF'er, but agree with those of you who say it probably hinges on the Chargers winning a SB with him....& that's a shame.
        If he does win one, I would bet on him being a first-ballot selection.
        Sure hope we see it happen that way....

Comment

• Boltaction
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

The Chief's defensive coordinator says he has found a weakness in Rivers. What the Chiefs do is study the run blocking schemes of the Chargers. They then are able to stop the run game of the Chargers making Rivers throw the ball and throw he will. They say Rivers is a HOF QB in the pocket when not bothered. But it you can get him to move, even run Rivers is then a subpar QB running the ball, but Rivers will still throw the ball .They know Rivers will still throw so they tell their DBs to cut the routes because Rivers underthrows on the run. Consequently they score many interceptions on Rivers because of this flaw.

So until Rivers figures out how to beat the Chiefs and then go on to beat the Patriots and Steelers to advance into a Super bowl. Then win a Super Bowl, he won't be voted into the HOF by his fellow players. Because the better teams know this.

Comment

• Budsman
            Budsman commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds like every quarterback. Most are worse when harassed hense the emphasis on pass rush and most aren’t as accurate when flushed out of the pocket (not the same as a designed roll out).

• richpjr
            richpjr commented
            Editing a comment
            Every DC in the league wants to stop the run and pressure the QB. We have all watched for years how Rivers isn't as effective when he can't step up and his getting hit. Someone posted that 5 of the 6 interceptions against the Chiefs last year were on plays when he got hit. This is one of the reasons why Pouncy in the middle is so big, IMO. Defenders won't have the free run up the middle on him like in years past.

He should be a first ballet HOF, but as has been mentioned a ring would make it a slam dunk. Otherwise he'll likely have to wait.
        • BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

Phil Simms just said he is picking Rivers to be the NFL MVP this year. Nice to get some good pub

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Rivers is one of the best QB in a contested, congested pocket that I have ever seen. In fact, I remember Simms or some other former QB doing some cut ups and breakdowns of it one year. On the run, he is not so great.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013