• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

NFL Draft 2019: Offensive tackle class, headlined by Jonah Williams, looks like best in a decade

The NFL will get best OT class in a while, and the league is getting smarter with what it asks of blockers
    They used to be considered safe picks, easy-to-identify future stars, the closest thing to guarantees in the NFL's annual crapshoot player-selection process known as the draft.

But the reputation of offensive tackle prospects has been recently damaged after a string of high-caliber, early-round prospects flopped or have proven to be adequate at best with their respective pro teams.

From 2012 to 2016 there were 14 players drafted in the first round to play offensive tackle. Four are no longer with the club that drafted them. Two have already been moved to guard. One is a clear-cut backup. One is currently an unsigned free agent. Another is on the verge of being cut... today. (The jury is still out on the 2017 and 2018 offensive tackle classes, so they're not included here).

Only Lane Johnson (No. 85) was named to Pro Football Focus' top 101 players after the 2017 season, and he represents one of two All-Pro distinctions from that group. The other went to Jack Conklin, who received the award after his rookie season in 2016.

On the flip side, of the 23 edge-rushers to be picked in the first round from 2012 to 2016, five were on PFF's top 101 list, and four have been named to an All-Pro team

The Ringer's Robert Mays dove deep into the NFL's offensive line epidemic in November of last year and cited former pro linemen turned trainers or media members. His research pinpointed the drastic difference in blocking responsibilities between the college and pro games and identified the prevalence of the spread offense in college, with its quick-passing philosophy, as a main culprit for the widespread issues. Tackles simply didn't have to block for very long on each play before entering the NFL.

As we've seen with countless other once collegiate-only offensive trends, most namely the shotgun, the bubble screen, the Wildcat, the pistol, the read-option, the spread and run-pass option are now basically ubiquitous. Heck, two quarterbacks, Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes, who played in the wide-open pass-predominant "Air Raid" system, previously deemed to be a guaranteed indicator a passer wouldn't succeed at the NFL level, are leading the only 5-0 teams in football and have the No. 2 and No. 5 quarterback ratings in the league heading into Week 6.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, in 2016, the NFL's Average Intended Air Yards (IAY) among all qualifying quarterbacks was 8.86 yards downfield. Last year, the collective average was 8.33 yards. Through Week 5 in 2018, the league IAY among qualifiers is just 8.05 yards.

So, despite a contingent of young quarterbacks with the arms to "save" the deep ball, it's obvious the NFL too is becoming -- has become? -- just like college, a quick-passing league that doesn't ask its tackles to block for very long. The NFL's seismic morph into the pro version of the Big 12 is upon us.

And that's excellent news for offensive tackles. Their jobs have and will continue to get ... easier.
    Also, teams looking for a franchise left or right tackle in the 2019 Draft are in luck, because that position is as loaded at the top as its been in a long time.

Alabama's Jonah Williams (currently my No. 2 overall prospect) has started on the edge for the Crimson Tide since his freshman season. He's the opposite of a project, a fundamentally sound technician with plus athleticism and developed strength to deal with every type of pass-rusher. While Nick Saban's club is known for its running prowess, its offense utilizes a plethora of spread concepts.

Ole Miss' Greg Little, another SEC product who's played since his days as a freshman, can get a little sloppy with his technique but is a dancing bear at 6-foot-5 and 325 pounds with heavy hands. He's been the anchor of an offensive line tasked with plenty of pass-blocking.

Out in Manhattan, Kansas, Dalton Risner has been a mainstay at right tackle for going on three seasons now after starting at center to begin his career for the Kansas State Wildcats. He has light feet and is country strong, a combination that helps him dominate even the quickest and most speed-to-power outside-rushers. Just ask Montez Sweat.

Oklahoma's Bobby Evans understands the intricacies of the spread offense playing under Lincoln Riley. At 6-5 and a shade over 300 pounds with deceptive strength, he has the frame to thrive in pass-protection at the NFL level and has considerable experience getting out on a variety of screen plays.

West Virginia's Yodny Cajuste blocks the blindside in an Air Raid system and is the closest to being "NFL strong" out of all offensive tackle prospects in the country. David Edwards has played since 2016 and is one of the most athletic offensive tackles Wisconsin's had in recent years. He's more than capable in pass-protection, and we know he has ample point-of-attack strength.

This looks like the best offensive tackle draft class since 2010, that, at the top, featured Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, and Bryan Bulaga.

And NFL teams are finally very close to tailoring their offenses around what their quarterbacks and their offensive tackles know.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

1. Yodny Cajuste, OT. Best available OT, potential LT skills.
      2. Marquise Copeland, DT. Quick, productive, smaller DT.
      3. Germaine Pratt, LB. Has speed, covers and tackles
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        1. Yodny Cajuste, OT. Best available OT, potential LT skills.
        2. Marquise Copeland, DT. Quick, productive, smaller DT.
        3. Germaine Pratt, LB. Has speed, covers and tackles
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

With potentially losing 2 DTs after this season, Id have no problem taking Marquise and Cortez.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Last edited by like54ninjas; 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM. Reason: More info

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

woodMock '19 beta

dalton risner OL kansas state
              brandon jones FS texas
              jordan brailford EDGE oklahoma state
              dante olson LB montana
              charles omenihu DL texas
              anthony ratliff-williams KR-WR north carolina
              josh oliver TE san jose state

analysis to follow
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                woodMock '19 beta

dalton risner OL kansas state
                brandon jones FS texas
                jordan brailford EDGE oklahoma state
                dante olson LB montana
                charles omenihu DL texas
                anthony ratliff-williams KR-WR north carolina
                josh oliver TE san jose state

analysis to follow
                Last edited by like54ninjas; 11-28-2018, 09:02 AM. Reason: Info added

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Thank you for your comments Ninja. Your knowledge base is amazing. I am kicking Omenihu inside on passing downs. Further commentary is reserved for later.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Thank you for your comments Ninja. Your knowledge base is amazing. I am kicking Omenihu inside on passing downs. Further commentary is reserved for later.
                    Im all for finding big DE pass rushers who can move to DT on passing downs. Find a way to hurry up the qb more often.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

I have the same idea with Ferguson. Multi-positional PRs. I think Ferguson/Jelks/Bryant and a few others could handle SDE, LEO, and also get quick pressure inside.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Im all for finding big DE pass rushers who can move to DT on passing downs. Find a way to hurry up the qb more often.
                        Omenihu uses his long arms well.
                        6'6" 275#. I have him filling out to about 290#. Exceptional value, due to generational depth at DT.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Few more guys that could be fits with the Bolts....

Jabril Frazier (DE/LB) BSU - strong, quick/fast, plays with leverage, constant motor, needs to learn to use hands/length to get pressure more consistently
                          Dre Greenlaw (LB) ARK - fast, plays down hill, impact hitter, fills lanes S2S, must learn to disengage better
                          Gary Jennings Jr. (WR) WV - great hands, big performances in big games/moments, smooth routes, deceptively fast
                          Gabe Gubrud (QB) EWU - accurate, poised, very mobile, good arm, throws w/anticipation, had season ending toe/foot surgery 5 games into 2018
                          Tyre McCants (WR/RB) USF - built like a keg but has speed, good hands, best blocking receiver, DAWG, could play LB w/his physicality, good after the catch.
                          Last edited by like54ninjas; 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X