Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

I think it's time.

To start looking for the future QB for the Chargers.

Hear me out, I think Rivers is great (he's in my top 3 Chargers ever), and I think he's playing well. And that he can go on for a few more years (hopefully).

However... most of the poor/poorer teams have QB's that they are sold on for the future.
    Bills-Allen
    Browns-Mayfield
    Cardinals-Rosen
    Jets-Darnold
    Raiders-Carr
    Steelers- Dobbs/Rudolph
    Texans - Watson
    Colts - Luck
    9ers- Jimmy

I just don't see many teams who will be looking for a top QB in the next draft...I'm sure there will be some. The Giants come to mind.

CBS top 4 prospects at QB are: Finley, Lock, Herbert, and Stidham.
    LINK

I haven't watched any of them very much... just wondering what the opinions of the "draft experts" are on these four guys?

I'm thinking probably 3 of them will be there, when the Chargers pick (whether we finish 6-10 or 10-6).

I've seen Stidham a bit, and Herbert (even less). Haven't seen any games with Finley or Lock.

My thought is that, if there is a guy the Front Office likes, and he's there... this is the time to do it. (Lord knows we don't have the answer on our roster)
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

It's really hard to gauge when to draft his replacement to me. In a perfect world it would be one season before he retires so the replacement could watch for a year and then step in. But when you see Rivers playing at such a high level and then see guys like Brees and Brady who are even older still playing at a high level, is it waste to draft someone too early? Clearly if he falls off a cliff like Manning did at the end of his career it would be bad. But we don't need a quarterback NOW so it's hard to tell.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      It's really hard to gauge when to draft his replacement to me. In a perfect world it would be one season before he retires so the replacement could watch for a year and then step in. But when you see Rivers playing at such a high level and then see guys like Brees and Brady who are even older still playing at a high level, is it waste to draft someone too early? Clearly if he falls off a cliff like Manning did at the end of his career it would be bad. But we don't need a quarterback NOW so it's hard to tell.
      I'm ok with them sitting two years. Rivers did. Aaron Rodgers did. I'm fine with it.

AND... if someone runs into a jam, with an injury at QB, we'd always have that trade chip in our back pocket.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Give me a starting OL over a backup qb any day. Especially if the backup qb is years from starting. I dont want a backup qb getting to his 2nd contract befores hes proven himself on the field for 2 or 3 years.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Give me a starting OL over a backup qb any day. Especially if the backup qb is years from starting. I dont want a backup qb getting to his 2nd contract befores hes proven himself on the field for 2 or 3 years.
          Except for our luck with draft picks on the oline with T2, I'd agree. LOL. Everyone gets hurt.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Exactly, I don't want his replacement sitting for more than one season. So if we have to trade a bunch of picks to move up and get his replacement, then dont do it well before he is going to retire.
            Doing that does a couple things. It handcuffs you on improving your team for a couple years by trading away those pics and then the guy is going to sit for 3 years. It also makes the eventual replacement only have a year or two left on his contract.
            They should draft his replacement the year before they know he is going to retire so the new guy can sit for one season.
            So, I don't think this next draft is the draft to be doing that.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan​
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆ï¸w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss âž¡ï¸ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Last edited by like54ninjas; 10-01-2018, 04:01 PM. Reason: can’t spell
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                Superbowl?
                • Sep 2018
                • Los Angeles/Chicago
                • Send PM

This, I was thinking the same thing, Saints and Patriots with aging QB's that someone thinks it might be time to replace yet they are top 5 QB's year in and year out, I feel the same with Rivers.

I've posted this before, I like the approach the Arizona Cardinals have taken over the past decade plus. Free agency of a proven QB. Kurt Warner, then Carson Palmer, then they tried very hard to get Kirk Cousins before losing out to the Vikings on him (Had Bruce Arians stayed perhaps they would have got him), then they decided to draft Rosen.

This is the approach I would like the Chargers to take, assume Rivers will be playing for several more years at a high level, if he decides to retire or his game goes away like the Manning's then seek a proven free agent and/or a draft pick.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

I'm ok with them sitting two years. Rivers did. Aaron Rodgers did. I'm fine with it.

AND... if someone runs into a jam, with an injury at QB, we'd always have that trade chip in our back pocket.
                    I dont like sitting for 2 years. It shortens the window to utilize the salary cap benefits of the qb being on a rookie deal. Sit for 1 yr max pls.

I am not a big fan of this qb draft class.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I am not a big fan of this qb draft class.
                      Really?

Im definitely not a draft guru but there seems to be 4-5 really good prospects
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

Really?

Im definitely not a draft guru but there seems to be 4-5 really good prospects
                        Everyone thought the same thing the year with Locker et al etc. etc. I wouldnt draft any of these guys with a top 10 pick this year. I cant give a good draft class grade if none of the top qbs are worth even a top 10 pick IMO. there are some VERY good qb draft classes i would rather wait a year or 2 on instead of reaching for a replacement when we don't really need to given Rivers play.

Comment

Working...
                        X