Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Chargers merchandise sales

anyone have reliable stats on 2017 NFL gear sales, or maybe a link to investigate? A few months ago I saw reports the Chargers made more $ from ticket sales in 2017 vs 2016 even though they had a smaller stadium- due to nearly the highest ticket prices in the NFL and lack of attendance at Qualcomm as lame ducks. Merchandise sales used to be in the top 3 money makers for NFL teams and teams like the Cowboys and Raiders were always near the top. Gear sales profits aren't shared IIRC and many people predicted the Chargers sales would tank with the relocation- and I'm wondering if that came true or not. Also wondering if they still sell the classic merchandise or just LA branded stuff now?
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    anyone have reliable stats on 2017 NFL gear sales, or maybe a link to investigate? A few months ago I saw reports the Chargers made more $ from ticket sales in 2017 vs 2016 even though they had a smaller stadium- due to nearly the highest ticket prices in the NFL and lack of attendance at Qualcomm as lame ducks. Merchandise sales used to be in the top 3 money makers for NFL teams and teams like the Cowboys and Raiders were always near the top. Gea sales profits aren't shared IIRC and many people predicted the Chargers sales would tank with the relocation- and I'm wondering if that came true or not. Also wondering if they still sell the classic merchandise or just LA branded stuff now?
    I find that hard to believe. You're saying the Chargers nearly sold as much merchandise as the Raiders and Cowboys?

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I find that hard to believe. You're saying the Chargers nearly sold as much merchandise as the Raiders and Cowboys?
      I believe he was saying that merchandise sales are a top 3 money make for teams, not the Chargers are in the top 3 for merchandise sales

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

I believe he was saying that merchandise sales are a top 3 money make for teams, not the Chargers are in the top 3 for merchandise sales
        correct.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

that's not what I wrote. It's been a couple years since I have seen a report on this but it used to be NFL teams #1 source of income was payments from the TV contract, followed by merchandise sales and skybox/premium seating revenues. That was why the big push for new stadiums all the time to increase that revenue that wasn't shared. Teams with large committed, (even generational) fan bases like Raiders, Green Bay, Cowboys, Patriots, and the current year's Super Bowl champs were always near or at the top of gear sales and it was a huge part of their annual income. Maybe 2 years ago, I saw another report that said per person GAME DAY spending inside the stadium was approaching the top revenue generators as well- and at that time I think it was about $102 per person on average per game.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            😂