• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Charger's Viability in LA

NFL owners reportedly worried about Chargers in L.A., team's revenue projection drops $250M

The Chargers are reportedly revising their revenue projections from $400 million to $150 million

For several years, there were multiple NFL teams attempting to move to Los Angeles. There were competing proposals from the Rams and the Chargers and Raiders, and thanks to a strong push from Jerry Jones, the NFL ultimately decided to bring the Rams and Chargers to L.A., leaving the Raiders to pursue a move to Las Vegas.

The Rams' venture back to L.A. is actually going pretty well. The team is 6-0 and has one of the most exciting cores of young talent in the NFL -- and there appears to at least be a decently-sized fan base. The Chargers' move ... not so much. Chargers games are routinely populated by large swaths of opposing fans and numerous players have expressed a longing for San Diego.

The Chargers are also reportedly struggling to sell personal seat licenses for the new Inglewood stadium they'll call home, which has caused the league's owners to be worried about the team's viability in the market. It's also caused the Chargers themselves to revise their revenue projections downward by a whole lot. They had previously set a revenue goal of $400 million, but according to ESPN's Seth Wickersham, it's dropping to around $150 million.

Seth Wickersham‏Verified account
    @SethWickersham
    Seth Wickersham
    @SethWickersham
    Last edited by Formula 21; 10-17-2018, 09:55 AM.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Let the NFL build a stadium in San Diego without tax money and move them back. I think PSLs will sell better here.

The Chargers in LA is a FAIL.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• foreigner
      Tom Telesco is gone
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

As much as I hate to say it... from a business perspective its too early for this type of talk, let's see how it goes if they continue winning. Of course, the Chargers are doing they numbers based on a losing franchise, thats the only thing they can do. They can't build castles in the air.

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

I question at this point if San Diego would welcome them back with open arms if Dean is still the owner. Nothing written here though implies that they would move back to SD.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

How much was the team making in SD? $400 mil?

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
            As much as I hate to say it... from a business perspective its too early for this type of talk, let's see how it goes if they continue winning. Of course, the Chargers are doing they numbers based on a losing franchise, thats the only thing they can do. They can't build castles in the air.
            When has an NFL ever moved without fans being excited and jumping on board immediately?
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• LIGHTS OUT
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

When has an NFL ever moved without fans being excited and jumping on board immediately?

Comment

Let's be honest here. Road teams traveling well and 'taking over' our stadium and making it like a road game for us is nothing new. We had the same issue in San Diego at times and that was the spiritual home of our Chargers team. So would moving this team back to San Diego change that? I don't think it would. We would still see a ton of Raiders fans or Eagles fans or whoever we are playing that week in the stadium. It's been a problem with our fan base for quite some time - we have that strong core of people that truly care about this team, then we have the other group of people that generally don't care - it is arguably why we failed to keep the team in San Diego in the first place because the people that didn't care vastly outnumbered the people that did care. So although it would be great to see our team back in San Diego in a state of the art stadium, I don't think it would be the perfect solution because we would arguably still see some of the old problems remain even in a new stadium.

I hate to say it but the NFL realistically has two options for this team:

1. Keep it in Los Angeles for a significant amount of time. Give it a chance to build up a fan base and become financially viable. If it does the NFL will have its version of the Clippers, and if it doesn't they can always move it somewhere else.

2. Auction the team to a city wanting the NFL that can prove it can fill a stadium full of home market fans, sell a ton of PSLs (etc) and give the NFL a brand new market to boost its takings and viewing figures.

Personally I don't see this team coming back to San Diego even if the NFL deems a second team in Los Angeles is a failure. I love this team. I love San Diego (not a native). But I'm not sure a return to San Diego in a brand new stadium would fix some of the problems we had in San Diego. Maybe it would. I'd love to be wrong! But I think we'd still have some attendance issues in a new stadium once the shine wore off.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Tijuana
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Let's be honest here. Road teams traveling well and 'taking over' our stadium and making it like a road game for us is nothing new. We had the same issue in San Diego at times and that was the spiritual home of our Chargers team. So would moving this team back to San Diego change that?
                  With a new owner committed to keeping the team (and building a stadium) in San Diego I think you would go a long way in fixing that

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Still curious how much if a drop in revenue that projection is, from what they were making in SD. Only stat I could find was for just ticket sales, which dipped from $50 mil in 2016 to $47 mil in 2017, but with the caveat that there have been much worse dips in SD in recent years too, like down to $42 mil in 2012 I think it was (2011?). But the article must be talking about everything they can possibly sell inclusive, right? Save for TV revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

With a new owner committed to keeping the team (and building a stadium) in San Diego I think you would go a long way in fixing that

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

It was a problem long before Spanos ever hinted at moving. The reality is, we had a small, loyal following that would support the team no matter. When they were winning, it got trendy to be a fan and we had a real home field advantage. But when the team doesn't win (which has been way too often with this weenie ownership of Team Spanos) we struggled with other teams fans taking over the stadium. Moving back won't fix that. PSLs won't fly here either.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍