• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2 Pt was the right call. Here's why

I never expected Lynn to pull the trigger on the two point try, but it was absolutely the right call and I would be writing this even if it had failed. Here is why:

1. The game was going to come down to one play at some point anyway. Badgley making the PAT is not guaranteed. If they go to OT, Badgely may have to make a FG or some other single play may turn the game. Why not make the one play that turns the game be a heavily practiced one that is in the hands of the best players and is under no time pressure?
    2. Chargers had nothing to lose. They might still end up being the 5 seed. Losing this game would have hurt but winning it may be immaterial as far as playoff seeding.
    3. Chiefs defense was on the ropes and they suck to begin with.
    4. Don't want to take a chance that Mahomes gets the ball first and does what he does.
    5. Lynn just showed his team how much confidence he has in them. You don't think they will run through brick walls for him right now?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Situations like that hardly happen, as the Chiefs D was on the ropes after the huge chunk plays to TB. My thinking is to go for two more often, as the probabilities for good teams making it is about 50% and better when when the ball had been placed on the 1 yd line. Momo made that decision easy for Lynn.

I definitely didn't want to see Mahomes in OT. He's already tough to play against, and he was itching to come back in. Our D stepped up to the challenge. At the end of the game, he didn't look dejected or shocked, which was a surprise, and frankly, refreshing.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I agree going for 2 was an inspired call, but don't agree KC defense was either on the ropes or sucking. They sacked Rivers 5 times and hit him many others, knocked down a couple passes at LOS and were up the middle and in his face all night- mostly just using their front four. I hated all the passing in the Red zone TBH and thought they should have gone Jumbo and at least tried a couple run plays down there each time instead of having Rivers throw it up for grabs for possible INTs. They got lucky at the end last night with the questionable holding call setting things up and the busted coverage leaving Williams wide open.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        I never expected Lynn to pull the trigger on the two point try, but it was absolutely the right call and I would be writing this even if it had failed. Here is why:

1. The game was going to come down to one play at some point anyway. Badgley making the PAT is not guaranteed. If they go to OT, Badgely may have to make a FG or some other single play may turn the game. Why not make the one play that turns the game be a heavily practiced one that is in the hands of the best players and is under no time pressure?
        2. Chargers had nothing to lose. They might still end up being the 5 seed. Losing this game would have hurt but winning it may be immaterial as far as playoff seeding.
        3. Chiefs defense was on the ropes and they suck to begin with.
        4. Don't want to take a chance that Mahomes gets the ball first and does what he does.
        5. Lynn just showed his team how much confidence he has in them. You don't think they will run through brick walls for him right now?

TG
        This.
        Lynn ABSOLUTELY made the right call. No doubter.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          I agree going for 2 was an inspired call, but don't agree KC defense was either on the ropes or sucking. They sacked Rivers 5 times and hit him many others, knocked down a couple passes at LOS and were up the middle and in his face all night- mostly just using their front four. I hated all the passing in the Red zone TBH and thought they should have gone Jumbo and at least tried a couple run plays down there each time instead of having Rivers throw it up for grabs for possible INTs. They got lucky at the end last night with the questionable holding call setting things up and the busted coverage leaving Williams wide open.
          They were on their heels. As I posted in another thread, in the first half Rivers was sacked 4 times and hit 9 times in 16 pass attempts. In the second half he was sacked once and hit 3 times in 22 pass attempts. Their pass rush was not nearly as effective and we ended up with an almost 7 minute time of possession advantage.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

That is why you play the game because shit happens.......

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

The Titans tried the same thing and they ended up looking like asses...

Honestly It was just a HUGE BALLS go for the KILL decision that I fully support, (this is what this team needs to turn history around).

Thats all, nothing smart or anything special about it. Just huge balls decision. Big Gamble that came our way.
              Last edited by foreigner; 12-14-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

They were on their heels. As I posted in another thread, in the first half Rivers was sacked 4 times and hit 9 times in 16 pass attempts. In the second half he was sacked once and hit 3 times in 22 pass attempts. Their pass rush was not nearly as effective and we ended up with an almost 7 minute time of possession advantage.
                so you don't think half time adjustments to blocking and calling more quick hitting plays had anything to do with Rivers getting hit less in 2nd half? Chargers had some very long, time consuming possessions (see your TOP figure) which gave Chefs defense time to rest up until near the end and the comeback scoring drives. I didn't see any indication they were gassed and would not have wanted Rivers facing that pass rush again in a single OT possession anymore than you'd want to see the Chargers depleted D with ineffective pass rush trying to stop Mahomes in a Chefs 1st possession in OT.

*EDIT* I saw you mentioned OL stepping up in 2nd half in another post. Agree with that contributing to less hits on Rivers in 2nd half.
                Last edited by SDFan; 12-14-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• attila
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Send PM

It was the right call and the percentage play. I hoped he would go for it and thought he would. It would've been smarter and better percentage wise if they went for 2 down 14. If you make it then, you kick the xp 2nd. You miss, the go for 2 again.

Comment

• therber219
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Iowa
                    • Send PM

I don't consider it lucky, but just a continuation of questionable calls... They helped keep KC drives going so it is only fitting that it went the way it did.

Comment

• vinabolt
                      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Send PM

Mostly it was just their defense was kinda shocked after they though the game had won, defensive players were gassed and unorganized, as we can see of the blow coverage on the 2 pt try. Going into OT just give them time to regroup and essentially let them off the hook.

Money Badge has been nearly automatic on short range kicks (all made kicks were right through the middle without any doubt, means the kicker has full control) and the ST overall has improved so I don't think this decision means that they don't trust the kicking or don't trust the defense or anything like that. Usually those types of decisions were made on how the opposing defense look in that moment.
                      Last edited by vinabolt; 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM.
                      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                        X