• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers' ability to combat Ravens' pressure will be critical

Chargers' ability to combat Ravens' pressure will be critical in rematch, and they have options

image.png
    Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers tries to avoid Ravens linebacker Patrick Onwuasor when the teams played Dec. 22 at StubHub Center. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

Mike DiGiovanna

Russell OkungBaltimore Ravens defense, to a pick-and-roll play in basketball, where a linebacker sets a screen on an offensive lineman while a defensive tackle or edge rusher rolls around the pick and barrels toward the quarterback.

A pick-and-steamroll play would be a more accurate description, seeing as how the Ravens flattened Okung and his offensive line mates in Dec. 22.

The Chargers averaged 33 points and 370 total yards during a four-game win streak over Arizona, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Kansas City from Nov. 25-Dec. 13, but they were reduced to a band of smothered brothers by the Ravens, who rank first in the NFL in yards (292.9) and second in points (17.9) allowed per game.

The Ravens sacked quarterback Philip RiversMike Pouncey and left guard Dan FeeneyThe ChargersHunter HenryPatrick Onwuasor, who had nine tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble that night, lined up in the A gap, between Pouncey and Schofield. Defensive end Brent UrbanNick Hardwickimage.pngMelvin Gordon senses the Chargers are out of sync

As winners and playoff qualifiers Sunday, the Chargers still expressed some discontent after their 23-9 victory.

That was nowhere more apparent than in front of the locker of running back Melvin GordonPro Bowl safety Eric Weddle, the former Charger, and Pro Bowl linebacker C.J. Mosley, the Ravens are as tough in the secondary as they are in the trenches.
    This Ravens defense might not be quite as stingy as the Ray Lewis
    Attached Files
  • Wrong Jersey
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Yep, The Ravens didnt do anything that the Chargers Oline hasn't seen before......they just couldn't stop it.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrong Jersey View Post
      Yep, The Ravens didnt do anything that the Chargers Oline hasn't seen before......they just couldn't stop it.
      Thats true. Our OL sucks. But you can scheme to minimize their poor play.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

This is where I think the Bolts Hunter Henry indecision comes from. He can probably run all the routes and take the hits, but can his leg hold up blocking a 280lb individual driving him backwards
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Wether he plays or not they have to game plan him. We are a tough out second time around.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Pressure up the middle is the big concern for me.

Has been for years. Over the years I've seen many teams load up the A gap, and blitz one or two guys up there.
              -This makes sense as Philip isn't mobile, to do a lot on the move scrambling outside, and it takes away his ability to step up in the pocket.

However, for a good chunk of this season, the team has been better at picking this up. Some of that for sure is Pouncey, but also some of it is improved pass protection from our backs.

They are occasionally going to get beat by outside rushes. It happens to everyone. The key for this team is to limit the pressure from the inside.

There were times during that Chiefs game I was yelling at the television... go ahead blitz again... keep blitzing. Because PR had done such a good job of diagnosing them.

Another thing that can help in these is our screen game. It will help a lot, to have Ekeler back, as he is a great checkdown option, effective at screens, and a pretty good pass protector.

I have confidence that Whiz will have some things up his sleeve for these guys.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Many teams use an extra OL or 2 to help out as needed with run blocking and stop interior pressure. I've never seen the Chargers do this, nor is it even mentioned as a possibility. Might be time to try something new instead of expecting RBs to always pick up rushers and hope Rivers gets rid of it quick. He had a couple batted down or deflected at LOS recently and it doesn't matter how quick he releases when that happens.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

This is a chess match. Ravens caught us offguard and it took some time to start to adjust. We were driving for the winning score down the field despite our low offensive yardage....this was a close game no matter how the troll puts it. Ravens are going to always be in close games imo since their offense struggles to put up points....it will catch up to them in the playoffs playing the top teams.

The Ravens won the battle but its not the war. We have good coaches that I think adjust well given a second chance. Im not guaranteeing a win but we arent folding just because the executed better during 1 game. Im sure the Ravens are feeling overconfident after round 1. I think we have plenty of adjustments that might cause them worry as well. Attack their running game. Have better plays for their blitzes....run the ball and let Gordon and Ek get their touches.

Lets make it 9 air trips in a row victorious.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

"Second and sixteen."

There's the problem.
                    You don't know ball

Comment

• UtahBolt
                      Did we win?
                      • Jun 2013
                      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                      • Send PM

Handling the pressure up the middle will be the biggest key in this game, as it was in the first game and almost every game Rivers plays. As we all know, if he gets gun shy and starts throwing off his back foot, we are in big trouble.

Look for Whiz to go away from using the RBs as help up the middle as much as possible, it really did not work well and at times acted as a detriment by clogging up the pocket and keeping the OL from making their switches and even taking away the pocket for Rivers step up into. The key is Feeney and Schofield, they simply HAVE to play better, they were awful in the first game (and in a few others this year), not recognizing what was coming, or not making their switch quickly enough or worse, getting rocked back. The Ravens know these two are the liability and if they can get Pouncey to commit one way or the other, they try to exploit that other side to great effectiveness. Normally this is when the RB would step up to help at the point of attack but I think we move away from that strategy (for reasons above) and look to get them in the pattern more often. Look for Whiz to drop the line back and set the protection a few yards deep to give these two the chance to read and react.

I believe the key to this game will be whether or not Feeney and Schofiled can hold their own up front.
                      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

Screen plays....take the play away from the middle with our blocking WRs and TEs. Keeps Rivers from holding the ball long and gets Ek and Gordon invilved again. When those 2 were leading the league early in the season it was due to a commitment to the run and Rivers adjusting to blitzes with quck screens or slants. Hit the tape of the early part of the season whiz.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍