• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

If the Colts beat Chiefs, refs will try to screw us

I've never been one to complain about the refs, but that game yesterday was atrocious. It had me believing all sorts of conspiracy theories LOL.

I would like to hope it was just a shitty crew but man, that's two games that they really had some questionable calls. If the Colts win Saturday and the potential exists for the AFCCG to be at the Stub...I really start to worry how our game on Sunday will be called.

Obviously all the focus should be on NE, but I hate having to worry about outside forces.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Yeah, it's clear that Goodell don't want any of his playoff game at a small soccer stadium.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I was going to start a thread with something similar. LOL.

I really want the Colts to win, but if they do... I imagine we will face some shady crap, as there is no way the NFL wants the Chargers hosting the AFC Championship game in that small stadium.

Thoughts that were burning me up during yesterday's game:
      1. The Ravens actually got called for holding yesterday, and our D-line feasted on them. That first meeting, they were absolutely mugging Bosa and Ingram (and there was never a call), it was BRUTAL. If they had actually called it that way 2 weeks ago, the Chargers would have had home field.
      2. The exact same game... 2 weeks ago... the chargers got called for how many holding calls... and usually if we had a successful play, a flag would come in. Same game, we had flags thrown on us, for much less obvious penalties, it was atrocious.

Yesterday, the holding calls/line play was called evenly, and you saw what happened.

Allow me to take the moniker "conspiracy coach" for the following.... as I am not a conspiracy guy, by and large... I'm really not. But, as I said a couple times this season there has been things that make me wonder...

1. The facemask on Ekeler on 3rd and goal. JFC. How do you miss that? It was the first thing that touched... his arm hit him in the head, and then he grabbed his face mask! Imagine if one of our players had hit Lamar Jackson directly in the facemask. That was TERRIBLE and inexcusable.
      2. The PI/or defensive holding non call on Keenan Allen. Even Tony Romo was like... how can he do that? Again... imagine that the other way... Lamar Jack scrambling around, and a charger DB grabs a WR. That killed a drive.
      3. Watt had a TD. Everyone knew it, everyone saw it, the guys in the booth all agreed... there was no way he was down. None. Terrible/atrocious call.
      4. After Watt is called down... the put the ball on the 1 yard line. not the 1 inch line. Hell they didn't even put it half way. That was the incorrect spot, after a replay...which leads directly to #5.
      5. MG, if he's handed the ball at the 1 inch line, instead of the 1 yard line... is in. 100% without question. I thought he was in anyway. Ground can't cause a fumble, so Baltimore has no gripe at all... and you could see the white powder bounce up from where the ball landed. Ridiculous. Even if you thought his arm was down... he'd have been in, if the ball had been placed correctly.
      6. Okung's "hold". It wasn't a hold. Yes he stuck his arm out, and there was no need to do so. But he didn't hold. That play would have iced the game. That was called by an official who "thought" it was going to happen.
      7. A couple guys noticed this during different times during the game day thread... there were multiple... 3 at least, maybe 4 or 5 times... where they marked the Chargers a yard short or so of where they actually went down or out of bounds at... but more than once. It's the little things like that, that drive me crazy... OK, so our guy runs out of bounds, you're going to mark it a full yard back of where he got. Their guy get tackled on a run up the gut, and you give him a half yard extra, from where he went down... that stuff drives me insane.

So yes, I do agree, that if we want a fairly called game... we actually want the Chiefs to win. Which is asinine.

Most of the time they aren't blatant, like the Watt TD... but you watch how many holding penalties they call on us against NE, especially if the game is close.
      -and by the way, they won't get called for any. I know that going in.... they are going to hold Bosa and Ingram every play, and it won't get called once, so just prepare yourself for that.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

So, conspiracy guys... how much do you think the NFL is paying off these officials to make stupid calls against the Chargers? Come on. Everything evens out. And fans from every team complain about the officials, no matter what. The big gamblers wouldn't put up with a huge bias on any team, either way.

I know, it's a bad look to have a championship game at the soccer stadium, but the league didn't disapprove the move to "stubhub", and they aren't moving it to a bigger venue. Spanos still making money on the deal, no matter what.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

Both us and IND are vulnerable to be screw over by the refs, to make sure no playoff game is host in a small soccer stadium. I would not trust Goodell on anything.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            So, conspiracy guys... how much do you think the NFL is paying off these officials to make stupid calls against the Chargers? Come on. Everything evens out. And fans from every team complain about the officials, no matter what. The big gamblers wouldn't put up with a huge bias on any team, either way.

I know, it's a bad look to have a championship game at the soccer stadium, but the league didn't disapprove the move to "stubhub", and they aren't moving it to a bigger venue. Spanos still making money on the deal, no matter what.
            They don't have to pay them anything. Just look for this, don't look for that... they are their employer. Do you want to work the next round or not? Do you want good assignments or not?

I don't think the games are predetermined. I do think officials are told to look for certain things from certain teams...and allow certain things to certain teams because of name/reputation/etc... certain players get calls that others don't, like in the NBA. Who was the old LT from the Broncos...can't remember his name, he NEVER got called for holding...but he held all the time... but he had a rep as a good player.

Rodney Harrison is a great example.... great player for the Chargers but got called for late hits, and things of that nature, all the time... the one that cost us that Chiefs game I'll never forget... it wasn't even a late hit in today's NFL... he got that by reputation.
            -Then he goes to the Patriots, and he's barely penalized for anything. Huh? what changed? Did he change how he played? Nope... reputation.

The Ravens have a reputation for having a tough/physical defense... so they are allowed to grab/hold do excessive things to our Wide Receivers.

Like I said, it's not predetermined... but the only way to overcome it, is to win. And then you get the good reputation.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• vinabolt
              Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
              • Feb 2015
              • Send PM

Man, Harrison is really a great example of that, lol.

I feel for IND, too. Both them and us are vulnerable next week to be screw over by Goodell.

About predetermine, no ones really know. Never say never. Like before they got bust, no one believes 99% of FIFA are corrupted and bride all over the place, selling games, betting on games. FIFA was one of the most reputed organization out there before the scandal. Much more reputed than Goodell and his shady reputation.
              Last edited by vinabolt; 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I will agree that the officials are given points of emphasis, which are known to all teams, so smart teams will avoid those things. The key to not getting called is not to do the "crime". Yes, there are some missed calls, but they still even out. As far a "reputation" and "name", it might happen, but often those penalty calls are "to the letter of the rule", especially around QBs. I do think that PR doesn't get his "fair" share of calls, but he doesn't sell it very well, being a very durable QB that doesn't squirm on the ground after being tapped on his head, or the referee/umpire just doesn't see those that well.

I'll say that Blakeman didn't do a good job for both Ravens game, particularly the review of the Watt catch, but he's been generally a very good Referee. He didn't call any roughing on the QBs, even though the Chargers were in jail break mode for 50 minutes. But at the end, the Chargers got sloppy, and when you are sloppy, you get called, even on ticky-tack. The missed contact/PI on KA was bad, put that on the individual official.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Even if we didn't have to worry about the game being placed at the Stub, we're still going against the NFL's Golden boy so you know they'll get all the favorable calls anyway.

They don't want to see Bosa and Ingram mauling Brady so I expect them to get held A LOT. We need to simply outplay them to the point where there is no doubt about the outcome.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Last edited by Budsman; 01-07-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The one thing possibly in our favor is that any LA representation in the Super Bowl would be nice hype for the new upcoming stadium as well as excitement for football in LA in general. That could be worth some money for the NFL and the owners in the long term. Even if the game is played at the Stub.

Let's see how the Cowboys/Rams game is called.

Comment

• Jagged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Omaha, Nebraska
                        • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂