• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

wouldn't be so quick to disparage McGary.... he may be awfully good for someone.... @OG.

wouldn't be a shock if he turns out the better player than Wilkins, who has great intangibles, but some ?s as a player.

and will gladly take Dex over Christain.... no questions asked.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

There is nothing wrong with McGary at OT that learning to kickstep wouldn't fix. He has the usual college OL problems too, but he has a lot of good traits. And he has to fix all of that to be a good OG too, so you aren't going to get away on the cheap and not work on technique.

It's too bad that Washington takes so many shortcuts in teaching their OL and DL, because the guys they get have some talent.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Guess who's coming to dinner!! ... This week's round of pro day workouts by several of the top QB prospects for the upcoming draft is over for now, but the actual throwing routines are only part of the equation. The other part of the story is which teams are going above and beyond in the due diligence on these guys by meeting privately in one way or another with these guys. At least 6 teams, for example, either met, or will meet privately with Drew Lock of Missouri after his pro day yesterday including the Giants, Washington, Miami, Denver, Detroit and the LA Chargers. Meanwhile, the Giants and Washington also both met with West Virginia's Will Grier after his pro day workout yesterday, along with Carolina. For the record, most reports on Grier's workout yesterday were very positive, although the workout itself didn't get the national exposure of those of Lock, Oklahoma's Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State, although it would seem that Grier is regarded more as a fall-back second-day type option at the position rather than as a potential first-rounder.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Wilkins over McGary at 28.

Wilkins is a perfect fit.

Not disparaging your Kaleb.
          Nah....you misunderstood...no way I pick McGary at 28...and I'm running over, through, on top of people to get the card up to Goodall if Wilkins is at 28!
          The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Brock Bowers N.M.W.
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            wouldn't be so quick to disparage McGary.... he may be awfully good for someone.... @OG.

wouldn't be a shock if he turns out the better player than Wilkins, who has great intangibles, but some ?s as a player.

and will gladly take Dex over Christain.... no questions asked.
            Dex Lawrence over Christian Wilkins? You always have liked the chubsters...I wouldn't mind trying to find the next Haloti Ngata and plugging him in...trying it out...but you are still getting a more talented and SAFER pick in Wilkins. Better prospect for the Chargers all around.

Oh yea...McGary is an OT folks...needs coaching, footwork...but definitely a OT. I mean, not that it's a law...but how many 6'7" OGs in the league?
            The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Nah....you misunderstood...no way I pick McGary at 28...and I'm running over, through, on top of people to get the card up to Goodall if Wilkins is at 28!
              Cool. Good call Sir.

BTW I am still wondering just what the hell it means that Philon is no longer a Charger. Why ?

Are we looking for someone cheaper, or someone who penetrates while playing the run better ?

Wilkins is an absolute perfect fit for us...no way he is there at 28...more like top 12 for this prospect.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Send PM

Cool. Good call Sir.

BTW I am still wondering just what the hell it means that Philon is no longer a Charger. Why ?

Are we looking for someone cheaper, or someone who penetrates while playing the run better ?

Wilkins is an absolute perfect fit for us...no way he is there at 28...more like top 12 for this prospect.
                By all accounts, Philon was slowly giving up more and more snaps to Jones towards the end...there may have been some hurt feelings involved there. Sometimes it's just better for players to try another team...Philon may feel he was never gonna be viewed as more than a backup/rotational guy, and felt he would have the opportunity to be more on another squad. Another possiblility is that there was a confrontation about his role with coaches, and it was more comfortable for staff and lockerroom to part ways.

In any event, I see us either adding a draftee...or failing that, going back to Liuget. I am intrigued by Gunter from the Cards...but he is probably just another Philon...views himself as an alpha, and wants to be where he is the guy...and probably wants to get payed that way too...only reason I think the Cards haven't signed him yet. Love to add him late, and at a good price, after he fails to land a big gig...ala Raiders did with that NT from the Colts last year, who's name escapes me.
                The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

By all accounts, Philon was slowly giving up more and more snaps to Jones towards the end...there may have been some hurt feelings involved there. Sometimes it's just better for players to try another team...Philon may feel he was never gonna be viewed as more than a backup/rotational guy, and felt he would have the opportunity to be more on another squad. Another possiblility is that there was a confrontation about his role with coaches, and it was more comfortable for staff and lockerroom to part ways.

In any event, I see us either adding a draftee...or failing that, going back to Liuget. I am intrigued by Gunter from the Cards...but he is probably just another Philon...views himself as an alpha, and wants to be where he is the guy...and probably wants to get payed that way too...only reason I think the Cards haven't signed him yet. Love to add him late, and at a good price, after he fails to land a big gig...ala Raiders did with that NT from the Colts last year, who's name escapes me.
                  Hankins. Yeah lots of options. TT must be counting on a nice value pick at DT. Is that Square I see walking through the front door @ Hoag ?
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Cool. Good call Sir.

^ This. Apparently, the Bolts want DT's who can pass rush AND stuff the run. Philon is a decent rusher. Not so much in the run-stuffing dept.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Hankins. Yeah lots of options. TT must be counting on a nice value pick at DT. Is that Square I see walking through the front door @ Hoag ?
                      Hankins just signed a 2-year $8.5 mil extension with the Raiders after his "prove it" one-year rental. I don't think they'll be cutting him any time soon.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Hurt feelings do not exist in football. That is all.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Dex Lawrence over Christian Wilkins? You always have liked the chubsters...I wouldn't mind trying to find the next Haloti Ngata and plugging him in...trying it out...but you are still getting a more talented and SAFER pick in Wilkins. Better prospect for the Chargers all around.

Oh yea...McGary is an OT folks...needs coaching, footwork...but definitely a OT. I mean, not that it's a law...but how many 6'7" OGs in the league?
                          was good w/A'Shawn & Star, and struck out (unfortunately/sadly enough) w/Malik McDowell.

and not sure 'bout the "SAFER" part, as recall quite a bit of consternation/mixed opinions on Wilkins pre draft last year, and....

did Lawrence have anything to do w/both Wilkins and Ferrell having better years than the year prior ??

and won't/can't argue the intangibles on Wilkins, and wouldn't really have a problem if he became a Charger, just like what Lawrence brings to the table more for this team at present.

and hats off to Kaleb if he holds it down @RT.... have had that sneaky good feeling 'bout him since day one.... if he gets ahold of you, look out.
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X