Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Simmons, of course, might be the only guy with a first round grade at #28. Telesco is a long-view type guy. My first guess would be Simmons.
    I would be ecstatic with Simmons.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Simmons, of course, might be the only guy with a first round grade at #28. Telesco is a long-view type guy. My first guess would be Simmons.
      TT also said he wants to hit a HR in the first round. If he is talking for this year, SAimmons wont be the pick. If he is talking overall long term HR, then i can see it. Its all how he views that homerun.
      But this team is close now. River has a few years left when they extend him whenever they get it done. Im thiking the homerun would be for the sooner the better, but we have no way of knowing that.

Me, if they pick Simmons @28, im good with their thought on it and if they dont , i undertand as well. Then again, maybe they dont even have him on their board with the highschool incident. I would but im not them.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

TT also said he wants to hit a HR in the first round. If he is talking for this year, SAimmons wont be the pick. If he is talking overall long term HR, then i can see it. Its all how he views that homerun.
        But this team is close now. River has a few years left when they extend him whenever they get it done. Im thiking the homerun would be for the sooner the better, but we have no way of knowing that.

Me, if they pick Simmons @28, im good with their thought on it and if they dont , i undertand as well. Then again, maybe they dont even have him on their board with the highschool incident. I would but im not them.
        The high school incident, the injury, and the fact that we need immediate contribution now due to Rivers' age is why I don't want him in the first round.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I think the choice of Verret over Roby tells you a bit about Telesco's mind set in the first round: he'd rather gamble on top flight talent rather than take a safer, less spectacular player (who might have a 2nd round grade). Fluker also fits in that category... i remember Telesco saying something akin to "it's rare to find a huge player with an aggressive, nasty mind set."

Gordon was seemingly the last player they had a first round grade on: Telesco mentioned there being 15 impact players in that draft. If they have a first round grade on a player & he falls to them at #28, irregardless of most positions, the Chargers will take him.
          He does? I don't see the talent there. If anything, Fluker fits in with the Roby choice more.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Brock Bowers N.M.W.
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

I'm really liking this Germaine Pratt...Safety who converted to LB....100+ tackles, 6.0 sacks, double digit TFLs...as a second year LB! And still learning the position...240 pounds of athlete who can tackle and cover and blitz...takes Emmanuel's spot backing up multiple positions in the LB corp as he finishes learning his craft...could end up replacing Perryman, or if Nwosu graduates to LEO in a few years, he could be OTTO...or if he continues to add muscle, LEO himself...who knows...but we need talented depth at LB, and I think this kid is a gem. Had him in the fourth, moved him to the third, and finally the buzz around him has forced me to put him at #60 in my sig mock...and that might be optimistic.
            Last edited by Lone Bolt; 04-13-2019, 04:59 PM.
            Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
            (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
            23. A. Mitchell WR
            37. K. Jenkins DT
            69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
            110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
            181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
            253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He does? I don't see the talent there. If anything, Fluker fits in with the Roby choice more.
              He did! Telesco swung for the fences on that one: probably saw another Erik Williams in big, nasty Fluke.
              You saw how he gored that Raider?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Interesting fan vote on #28.

The Los Angeles Chargers will have a number of excellent draft options at No. 28 in the 2019 NFL Draft. But who is the favorite among fans?
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  IT may be worth noticing that the last moderate bust we had was Verrett. I say moderate because they evaluated him in terms of ability alright, but missed on the durability. But he was a need pick. Fluker was a need pick. Bosa was not a need. Nether was James. Or Williams. Looking at it that way, the path forward seems obvious. Don't draft needs, that is what FA is for, and the FA period is still not over.
                  if we eschewed our needs @28, the two names that pop out for me are WR AJ Brown and DE/OLB Jachai Polite (if you could get AL/Gus to sign off on him),
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

if we eschewed our needs @28, the two names that pop out for me are WR AJ Brown and DE/OLB Jachai Polite (if you could get AL/Gus to sign off on him),
                    Again, I like the idea of best available, so I am fine with either, although I don't think they will be available when we pick. I think both are guys who may not appeal to the draftniks who do the mock drafts, but I like both. I think they are two of the better prospects in the draft at their respective positions.

I think Brown gets knocked down because everyone is drooling over DK Metcalf, but Brown is far and away the better WR. Metcalf's injury history also troubles me, as do his very average route running and his hands are kinda inconsistent. Brown gets knocked because his best fit is as a slot WR, but he is big enough and athletic enough to play outside and NFL teams play 3 WR between 70-75% of the time anyway. The only thing that would really elevate him in my eyes would be if I could find more clips of him beating press coverage. He seems to do it well, but in the slot, he just doesn't face it very often. The few times I see him do it, he just swats the DB hands away and gets instant separation. But I would like to see it more often.

Polite is a little bit of his own worst enemy. He lost some weight to get quicker and then lost some strength, so that move kinda backfired. Then he got defensive in some of his interviews at the combine. He is a physical guy who is getting downgraded by some because of his size, since he is a little short for an edge rusher. But he uses his hands well, and the strength thing doesn't really show up that much on tape. He is very physical and does his best work aligned wide, like a LEO. In fact he would be an ideal LEO, which would actually allow us to move Ingram around more (and Bosa too for that matter). He would make a nice compliment and is the kind of college player who projects to make a fairly quick transition to the NFL. Great first step, good hand use, and has some pass rush moves. Can come hard off the edge, counter inside off a spin, and turn speed to power to go inside and out. He still needs to work on all of these, but he is the kind of player who can be a good role player immediately and then take over as a starter or toational player pretty quickly.

I would love either of them, but I think NFL teams like these guys better than most guys who do mock drafts.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

beach, Steve.
                      I like these two prospects too.

AJ. Potential for a whole lot of YAC. Hands. The noise is that he just cannot beat press coverage. Bull. He does not face press coverage. Whatever he cannot do off the LOS from strength and athleticism, just how long would people think it would take KA to teach him advanced techniques ?

Polite. I see potential as an elite pass rusher. And what is wrong with that ? Elite get off and bend. The noise is that Jachai does not play the run. Get a whiff of Giff. Our Dline coach, and La'Roi can work with this.

@ #28, #60, draft traits and potential.
                      You don't know ball

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        beach, Steve.
                        I like these two prospects too.

AJ. Potential for a whole lot of YAC. Hands. The noise is that he just cannot beat press coverage. Bull. He does not face press coverage. Whatever he cannot do off the LOS from strength and athleticism, just how long would people think it would take KA to teach him advanced techniques ?

Polite. I see potential as an elite pass rusher. And what is wrong with that ? Elite get off and bend. The noise is that Jachai does not play the run. Get a whiff of Giff. Our Dline coach, and La'Roi can work with this.

@ #28, #60, draft traits and potential.
                        As far as AJ goes, I don't know if he can or can't beat press coverage. Again, a few plays that I have found, he does a very good job of beating press. But it is too small a sample size to be really sure. I keep finding highlights and game cut ups of him, and because he is in the slot, he simply doesn't face it very much.

NEVER confuse the fact that he has not done it in a game with the inability to do something. Roger Craig, one of the truely elite pass catching RB in the history of the NFL had the rep coming out of college that he couldn't catch a cold. After All, he had only caught 16 passes in 4 years of playing at Nebraska. Although the fact that Nebraska hardly threw the football at all back then, and left their RB in the block and perform fakes seems to have escaped notice. LT (43 catches) and Melvin Gordon (22 college catches) both got similar scouting reports. Clearly, scouts miss things by making assumptions.

Polite actually plays the run fairly well. People keep looking at his size and saying that he is not going to be a good run defender. He is a very good defender against the zone read. He does get knocked back some, but is fairly quick to shed. He is very physical at times, even though he is not as strong as he could be. He does his best work playing off the edge, playing down the line, and is a little weak playing runs right at him, but that is true of just about every edge player at the top of every draft. Again, I like how he uses his hands and how he gets off of blocks quickly.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

As far as AJ goes, I don't know if he can or can't beat press coverage. Again, a few plays that I have found, he does a very good job of beating press. But it is too small a sample size to be really sure. I keep finding highlights and game cut ups of him, and because he is in the slot, he simply doesn't face it very much.

NEVER confuse the fact that he has not done it in a game with the inability to do something. Roger Craig, one of the truely elite pass catching RB in the history of the NFL had the rep coming out of college that he couldn't catch a cold. After All, he had only caught 16 passes in 4 years of playing at Nebraska. Although the fact that Nebraska hardly threw the football at all back then, and left their RB in the block and perform fakes seems to have escaped notice. LT (43 catches) and Melvin Gordon (22 college catches) both got similar scouting reports. Clearly, scouts miss things by making assumptions.

Polite actually plays the run fairly well. People keep looking at his size and saying that he is not going to be a good run defender. He is a very good defender against the zone read. He does get knocked back some, but is fairly quick to shed. He is very physical at times, even though he is not as strong as he could be. He does his best work playing off the edge, playing down the line, and is a little weak playing runs right at him, but that is true of just about every edge player at the top of every draft. Again, I like how he uses his hands and how he gets off of blocks quickly.
                          At 28, consider looking for value.

Can our coaches develop Polite ? He would help Ingram, Bosa Rochell and Nwosu give us the pressure.

How will AJ impact our ability to outscore opponents ? Phil and our Oline love quick passing.
                          You don't know ball

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡