• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Daniel Jeremiah mock draft 1.0: Kyler Murray lands with Patriots

Daniel Jeremiah
    NFL Media analyst

We have a full view of the 2019 NFL Draft class now that the league has released the list of underclassmen that have been granted early entry. Of course, this means Mock Draft Season is upon us! With 97 days until the real draft, here's the first iteration of how I could see the opening round unfolding.

NOTE: The order for picks 29-32 has not yet been set. The final four teams are ordered below based on playoff seed, with record and strength of schedule as the tiebreakers.

PICK 1

Nick Bosa - Edge

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior
    Bosa is a polished pass rusher and he'll excel opposite Chandler Jones.

PICK 2

Rashan Gary - Edge

School: Michigan | Year: Junior
    Gary has the size of a defensive tackle but the skill set to play on the edge. He'll give the 49ers one of the best young D-lines in the NFL.

PICK 3

Josh Allen - Edge

School: Kentucky | Year: Senior
    The Jets need to address the O-line, but Allen will be too tempting to pass up. He's a bendy edge rusher with excellent production.

PICK 4

Quinnen Williams - DT

School: Alabama | Year: Sophomore (RS)
    The Raiders are desperate for pass rushers. Williams offers tremendous upside in that department and dominates against the run.

PICK 5

Josh Jacobs - RB

School: Alabama | Year: Junior
    The Bucs didn't see any return on their investment in Ronald Jones, a second-round pick last year. Jacobs is a dynamic player with ideal toughness.

PICK 6

Dwayne Haskins - QB

School: Ohio State | Year: Sophomore (RS)
    Haskins lacks the ideal mobility, but he's a pure pocket passer with excellent arm strength and accuracy.

PICK 7

Jeffery Simmons - DT

School: Mississippi State | Year: Junior
    I wouldn't be surprised if Simmons were to go earlier than this spot. Teams are buzzing about his talent.

PICK 8

T.J. Hockenson - TE

School: Iowa | Year: Sophomore (RS)
    This might be a little early for Hockenson, but he fits the physical identity the Lions have been attempting to build.

PICK 9

Jawaan Taylor - OT

School: Florida | Year: Junior
    Taylor could start at right tackle or either of the guard spots. He is a powerful run blocker with the agility to hold up in pass protection.

PICK 10

Devin White - LB

School: LSU | Year: Junior
    White is the ideal modern linebacker. He can run, cover and blitz.

PICK 11

Cody Ford - OT

School: Oklahoma | Year: Junior (RS)
    The Bengals need to upgrade their offensive line, and Ford offers the flexibility to play inside or outside.

PICK 12

Clelin Ferrell - Edge

School: Clemson | Year: Junior (RS)
    Ferrell is an overachiever with excellent production and effort. The Packers need to add some punch to their edge rush.

PICK 13

Daniel Jones - QB

School: Duke | Year: Junior (RS)
    The Dolphins have a bunch of needs to fill and could go in myriad directions. However, finding the quarterback of the future is right at the top of the list.

PICK 14

Ed Oliver - DT

School: Houston | Year: Junior
    Oliver is a perfect fit in this scheme and he'd be a terror in the NFC South.

PICK 15

Marquise Brown - WR

School: Oklahoma | Year: Junior
    The Redskins need to sort out the QB situation following Alex Smith's injury. If they address that need in free agency, Brown will be a tempting option with this pick.

PICK 16

Greedy Williams - CB

School: LSU | Year: Sophomore (RS)
    Williams' play was up and down in the fall, but the Panthers hit on an LSU cornerback in last year's draft (Donte Jackson) and they might double down this spring.

PICK 17

Andre Dillard - OT

School: Washington State | Year: Senior (RS)
    I believe Dillard is the top left tackle prospect in the draft and his pass-protecting prowess is just what Baker Mayfield needs.

PICK 18

Jonah Williams - OG

Williams is a solid offensive tackle prospect, but I believe he has All-Pro potential at guard. The Vikings need to address the O-line this offseason.

PICK 19

D.K. Metcalf - WR

School: Mississippi | Year: Sophomore (RS)
    Metcalf has a rare blend of size and speed. He'd be the perfect partner for Corey Davis.

PICK 20

Devin Bush - LB

School: Michigan | Year: Junior
    Bush has outstanding play speed and he fills a need for the Steelers' defense.

PICK 21

Montez Sweat - DE

School: Mississippi State | Year: Senior
    The Seahawks need to find a complementary pass rusher for Frank Clark, whom I expect to be back in Seattle next season even though he's due to become a free agent this offseason. Sweat has outstanding length, burst and production.

PICK 22

Nasir Adderley - S

School: Delaware | Year: Senior
    Adderley is a perfect fit to take over for Eric Weddle, whether that transition takes place this year or next year. Weddle has one year left on his contract and recently said he'll either play for the Ravens in 2019 or retire if the team decides to move on without him. Adderley offers a similar skill set and toughness.

PICK 23

Deandre Baker - CB

School: Georgia | Year: Senior
    Baker is a competitive cornerback with the versatility to fit in any scheme.

PICK 24

Jaylon Ferguson - DE

School: Louisiana Tech | Year: Senior (RS)
    Ferguson has some stiffness, but his length, power and production will be very appealing to a team in need of edge rushers.

PICK 25

Christian Wilkins - DT

School: Clemson | Year: Senior
    This would be the steal of the draft for the Eagles. Wilkins is a top-10 talent.

PICK 26

Johnathan Abram - S

School: Mississippi State | Year: Senior
    Abram is one of my favorite players in the draft. He fits what the Colts are building on defense.

PICK 27

Trayvon Mullen - CB

School: Clemson | Year: Junior
    It would be a surprise if the Raiders used all three of their first-round picks on defensive players, but it might be wise to fix one side of the ball before addressing the other.

PICK 28

Mack Wilson - LB

The Chargers need to get better at the linebacker position and Wilson is a true three-down player.

PICK 29

Kyler Murray - QB

School: Oklahoma | Year: Junior (RS)
    Murray is the ultimate wild card in this draft. The Patriots need to find the heir apparent to Tom Brady and Murray could contribute while Brady is still playing.

PICK 30

Dexter Lawrence - DT

School: Clemson | Year: Junior
    The Rams might need someone to replace Ndamukong Suh, who's due to become a free agent this offseason. Lawrence has a very similar skill set and playing style.

PICK 31

Byron Murphy - CB

School: Washington | Year: Sophomore (RS)
    The Chiefs are set on offense, but they need to add some playmakers to the back end of their defense.

PICK 32
    Noah Fant - TE

School: Iowa | Year: Junior
    Fant is an athletic freak and would be a nice complement to the young WR corps in Green Bay. Jimmy Graham isn't the long-term answer at the position.
    Last edited by Formula 21; 01-19-2019, 08:29 AM.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Saw that yesterday. Mock drafts right now don't mean anything to me. Too early as we haven't even had the combine yet but I'd be ok with that pick.

I also don't think Bellichick would draft a short QB and I have doubts Murray will be there to get measured. I think Bellichick likes the traditional pocket QBs. He had Jacoby Brisset and traded him away after his rookie year while Garropolo was going into his 4th year there.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-19-2019, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

2019 NFL Draft's Biggest Winners from NFLPA Bowl, Shrine Game Weeks

Matt Miller

January 19, 2019

There is no substitute for evaluating players in person. You can see speed, size, power and technique in a way that you can't when watching a prospect on film. That's why scouts flock to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, East-West Shrine Game and Reese's Senior Bowl every January.
        The first wave of all-star games are in the books. The Shrine and NFLPA weeks of practice have produced some risers and fallers and put more than a few players on the radar for further study as the NFL draft process kicks off.
        Based on my evaluations on the ground in Los Angeles at the NFLPA game and what I'm hearing from scouts in Florida at the Shrine Game, here are the biggest winners from the week.

Drew Lewis, Linebacker, Colorado

1 of 9
        The NFL is trending toward faster, more versatile players all across the field, which means linebackers must adapt. Gone are the days of two-down players at the position who can't track down the outside running game and quick-hitters in the passing game. Teams that are looking to add a three-down linebacker who can do all those things must consider Colorado's Drew Lewis after a good week at Shrine practices.
        At 6'2" and 225 pounds, Lewis would have been asked to convert to safety a decade ago. In today's game, he has value as an off-the-ball linebacker. Lewis also has experience as a pass-rusher, where he can set the edge and get into the backfield.
        Lewis' athleticism, bloodlines (his brother, Ryan, plays for the Bills) and football IQ make him an intriguing middle-round pick with a skill set ideal for a base 4-3 team.

Michael Dogbe, DL, TempleBrett Rypien, Quarterback, Boise State

3 of 9

In the week leading up to Shrine Game practices, many in the NFL draft community expressed dismay on Twitter that North Dakota State's Easton Stick wasn't invited to the more prestigious Senior Bowl. That talk died down after Stick struggled in practices. But one name that's risen while Stick's dropped is Boise State's Brett Rypien.
        Rypien has received praise from scouts and media in attendance at practice. One NFC area scout responded to questions about who helped his stock the most this week by giving Rypien's name.
        His game is built not on a strong arm or great athleticism, but accuracy and touch throws to all levels of the field. He throws a beautiful deep ball and can thread the needle with timing and instincts from the pocket. This isn't like when Kellen Moore came out of Boise State after 2011; he's a truly polished quarterback.
        Rypien is likely to be selected on the third day of the draft and has the upside of a solid QB2 and potential spot starter.

Kyle Shurmur, QB, Vanderbilt

4 of 9

Another quarterback who helped himself this week is Vanderbilt's Kyle Shurmur. After he was a late addition to the NFLPA roster, coaches in Los Angeles were raving about his work ethic and football IQ. He had to come in after everyone else and learn a playbook as well as all his teammates and reportedly did a fantastic job.
        The son of New York Giants head coach Pat, Shurmur was a three-year starter in the SEC. That's something scouts in attendance at the NFLPA practices loved about him: The senior is ready play right away after he received excellent coaching throughout his college career.
        At 6'4" and 225 pounds, Shurmur has the size teams look for. He also has the accuracy and arm talent worthy of a late-round flier and could be a nice developmental piece.

Saquan Hampton, Safety, RutgersJordan Brailford, EDGE, Oklahoma State

6 of 9

Coming off a season in which he racked up nine sacks and 16 tackles for a loss in 2018, Jordan Brailford entered the draft as a graduated junior. Because of his status as a graduate, Brailford can participate in the Shrine Game. He made the most of that opportunity with a strong week.
        At 6'3" and 250 pounds, he flashed above-average agility and flexibility this week throughout drills. He timed his rush moves well, according to an area scout in attendance at practices, and he impressed with his plan when he encountered offensive tackles.
        Brailford projects best as a 3-4 outside linebacker because of his size and quickness, but he could play with his hand down as a defensive end in sub-packages. His use of length is a question mark with only 32-inch arms, but he employs his quickness, low center of gravity and power well.

Blace Brown, Cornerback, Troy

7 of 9

If you like physical cornerbacks, you'll fall in love with Troy's Blace Brown. NFL evaluators got that chance through the week of Shrine practices, and the reports coming in from Tampa say he's helped his draft stock considerably.
        At 6'0" and 190 pounds, Brown doesn't have amazing size or length, but he shows great instincts in coverage and has the recovery speed to make up ground if he's beaten off the ball. He did this routinely at Troy, and one scout texted that Brown was dominating receivers at the Shrine Game. The scout went as far as to say the Senior Bowl would be wise to add him.
        Brown only had one interception in 2018 after opposing offenses started avoiding him, but in 2016 and 2017, he combined for 11 picks. The speed, ball skills and coverage instincts to make a long NFL career are all on his tape.

Michael Jackson, Cornerback, MiamiDaylon Mack, Defensive Lineman, Texas A&M247Sports 5-star prospect, Mack was a prized recruit at Texas A&M. His career didn't come with the splashes many expected (just eight sacks in four seasons), but he came on strong as a senior and looked like he was realizing his immense potential.
        Mack helped himself more than any other prospect at the NFLPA or Shrine practices this week.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            Saw that yesterday. Mock drafts right now don't mean anything to me. Too early as we haven't even had the combine yet but I'd be ok with that pick.

I also don't think Bellichick would draft a short QB and I have doubts Murray will be there to get measured. I think Bellichick likes the traditional pocket QBs. He had Jacoby Brisset and traded him away after his rookie year while Garropolo was going into his 4th year there.
            Baker Mayfield and the modern RPO offense is the next evolution due to the rule changes. If you are a gifted athlete with MLB arm, regardless of size, this model works. I believe Belichick senses trends in the game like no other and makes the move knowing Kyler Murray is Bo Jackson 2.0, IMHO. RPO is nearly impossible to defend pre-snap and Belichick uses pre-snap adjustments like a master as we all know.

But you are right, Kyler Murray won't be there where Bill is picking, Murray won't make it past the Giants at #5.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Baker Mayfield and the modern RPO offense is the next evolution due to the rule changes. If you are a gifted athlete with MLB arm, regardless of size, this model works. I believe Belichick senses trends in the game like no other and makes the move knowing Kyler Murray is Bo Jackson 2.0, IMHO. RPO is nearly impossible to defend pre-snap and Belichick uses pre-snap adjustments like a master as we all know.

But you are right, Kyler Murray won't be there where Bill is picking, Murray won't make it past the Giants at #5.
              Please, many QBs don't have a MLB arm, including Drew Brees, Tom Brady and our own Philip Rivers. It isn't a requirement to be a good QB. And again there were many that did that were busts.....like Kyle Boller just to name one and he was just mediocre in college but because he could throw the ball 60 yards from his knees at the combine a GM traded UP for him lol.

As for Murray, wouldn't surprise me if he was there in the 3rd. Just depends on what he measures, if he dares. 5'9", 3rd or 4th round and he plays baseball.
              Oh and we defended Lamar Jackson pretty well.....twice! At 190 lbs, Murray won't run much or he will be hurt.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Please, many QBs don't have a MLB arm, including Drew Brees, Tom Brady and our own Philip Rivers. It isn't a requirement to be a good QB. And again there were many that did that were busts.....like Kyle Boller just to name one and he was just mediocre in college but because he could throw the ball 60 yards from his knees at the combine a GM traded UP for him lol.

As for Murray, wouldn't surprise me if he was there in the 3rd. Just depends on what he measures, if he dares. 5'9", 3rd or 4th round and he plays baseball.
                Oh and we defended Lamar Jackson pretty well.....twice! At 190 lbs, Murray won't run much or he will be hurt.
                You didn't mentioned Tim Tebow this time.

You brought up Kyle Boller instead.

And he thinks Murray is going to run the Option....

Last edited by ghost; 01-22-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Drew Brees twice a year in Tampa, then I met Russell Wilson
                  The only man who controls three first-round picks in the 2019 NFL draft is open to drafting a small quarterback. Raiders coach Jon Gruden said he's impressed with Kyler Murray, who might become the shortest quarterback in the NFL, and has seen too many shorter quarterbacks play well to have a fix...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

You didn't mentioned Tim Tebow this time.

You brought up Kyle Boller instead.

And he thinks Murray is going to run the Option....

I can name more as I've said I don't need to keep naming one guy. Boller is one of those strong armed busts. And again I don't care where Murray ends up. I just know it won't be with us.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

You're wrong on this subject, you're beginning to realize it and I'm on Cincinnati.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

yep.... Kyler to Vegas.... first overall,
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

GMTPB.
                          Just gonna put this here.

Mack Wilson LB alabama
                          Deebo Samuel WR s carolina
                          Tytus Howard OT s alabama
                          Darnell Savage FS maryland
                          Dontavius Russell DT auburn